Options

Portrait - to much location?

TotziensTotziens Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
edited October 25, 2011 in People
Thoughts about if I've put to much of the location into this shot? Should portraits always be about the person being dominant?

Comments

• Options
    AlTheKillerAlTheKiller Registered Users Posts: 192 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2011
    id say yes it is a bit much location. seems closer to a landscape photo than a portrait. The focus isnt on the person enough I guess.
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2011
    you can have successful portraits with the "scenery" making of a most of the background even..it can work. You portrait is not working but that scenery issue is only part of the issue.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    kitkoskitkos Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
    edited October 25, 2011
    In some cases have more "location" works. In this one the "location" is undergrowth and weeds, so it is unappealing to me. IMHO
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2011
    I have to agree with Quarik - there are distractions in addition to the location in this shot, all of which minimise its impact as a portrait.

Main problem is the lack of sharpness - that may be due to it being an attachment but, as posted, nothing is in sharp focus, and the strongest point of clarity isn't the subject.
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2011
    Crop 1/3 off the bottom, put a very light vignette on it, levels/contrast adjustment....it's a portrait.

Person does not have to be the main subject in a portrait sometimes they can just be 1 element of a portrait.
  • Options
    cr8ingwavescr8ingwaves Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2011
    I don't like the vertical orientation of a horizontal object........and the soft focus makes me want to clean my glasses. I think a shot with focus on the surroundings works within a series but maybe not a a stand alone photo. The surroundings have to be attractive, balanced, of importance.
  • Options
    BrettDeutschBrettDeutsch Registered Users Posts: 365 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2011
    I think you're well on your way. Conceptually, it's a cool portrait. I'd definitely tighten the frame so that you get rid of some of the distracting and less important elements while still keeping the location in the shot. And focus on making sure the lighting on your human subject works. As it is, all the punchy lighting is behind her. A remote flash off camera aimed down/across your model's face could really make your model look much more dramatic, and perhaps a second one could rim her. It's more work, but I think it would make your model the star of the photo rather than the scenery.
  • Options
    edited October 25, 2011
    Better?
    Awesome feedback! Thank you everyone. Yeah, The picture is out of focus from attachment (tried to make is smaller file size for posting).

I do struggle with balancing the person with the surroundings and making them "pop". I wanted to get some of the location in the shot, but not fill the entire frame with just the person. I'll keep working with it. I didn't even think about using my off camera flash. Guessing I definitely have to fine tune things. Thanks again for the great feedback; def got me thinking more!
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2011
    Much better, but the 2:3 format is still a problem for me. I'dthink it'd be more effective in an 8x10 format. Your subject is sitting. Why would you want a long vertical crop?

Pretty lady by the way. Very fairy-looking. I like the setting with her looks.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    edited October 25, 2011
    Thanks
    Icebear wrote: »
    Much better, but the 2:3 format is still a problem for me. I'dthink it'd be more effective in an 8x10 format. Your subject is sitting. Why would you want a long vertical crop?

Pretty lady by the way. Very fairy-looking. I like the setting with her looks.

So, I did take some other images that day and they are more along the 8x10 crops...Not so vertical. I was trying to do something a bit different...now I'm thinking the whole photo vertical just doesn't work that way...Thoughts?
  • Options
    edited October 25, 2011
    Totziens wrote: »
    So, I did take some other images that day and they are more along the 8x10 crops...Not so vertical. I was trying to do something a bit different...now I'm thinking the whole photo vertical just doesn't work that way...Thoughts?

• Options
    AlTheKillerAlTheKiller Registered Users Posts: 192 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2011
    Totziens wrote: »

I like this one a lot more than the first. Awesome shot