Options

I call it homework

aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
edited October 27, 2011 in People
I'm a sportsshooter, always have been and always will be, but I find myself always wanting to learn and the next step in my education is controlling light. In order to improve, one must practice and in essence, do some homework.

Tisun and I decided to set up a homework shoot at work during lunch and somehow convinced co-workers to pose for us. Since they were not models and unaccustomed to having strangers point glass at them while flashing away, I decided on having each person volunteer only 15 minutes of their time. We limited the shoot to headshots due to the lack of space and short time available of the shoot since we had to be out of the room before lunch was over. Over a period of four days, I slowly brought in gear, piece by piece. The goal was to keep things simple, have a plan, execute the plan and when done, make certain sure that we left no trace behind.

1. Hot shoe beauty dish. Question: what is the correct placement of the beauty dish? I think I had it too high. Or is it some to be more frontal?
i-Xw6KV5J-M.jpg

2. Octo as key with reflector
i-4TvmXNX-M.jpg

3. Octo as key with reflector; single light
i-LscTcRZ-M.jpg

4. Octo with a reflector
i-trmbXJR-S.jpg

5. Beauty dish test set up shot with some pushed processing
i-ppQN77k-M.jpg

I actually had two goals in mind, but I didn't accomplish any of them. I really hoped to have obtained a low key one light frame and something that was high drama, blacklit, but it wasn’t to be. We ran out of time….

From the feedback given, I know the subjects were extremely happy with the frames and the entire experience, but I personally wanted to do more and still believed that I could do more. Over all, it was very rushed experience, but then again, I always feel rushed and out of control around people. The next time around, I would probably still give each model 15 minutes in front of the lens, but will leave time in between subjects for adjustments and critiques of the light/setup.

There is always next time and there will be a next time…

Note: if you bring a beauty dish to work, expect questions about flyer saucers and odd looks from other people.

C&C welcomed and appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2011
    there really isn't much to critique here. shots are pertty much perfect. feeling rushed? never would have noticed. pretty much the only way to get over that"rushed" feeling is doing it over and over and over again.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2011
    I agree with Daniel. You did really well on these April. I even like the processing on the dude. Fits the image well. Great job.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2011
    I love how you're always complaining to me about how you hate lighting when we chat...but you're so good at it! I love #1 :)
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2011
    Whatever you did in 1...keep doing that.
    Could use just a bit of fill on the left side....but that is being majorly nit picky.....and try not to crop fingers.....into or out of photos.
    Looks like you could easily be a portrait shooter and a sports shooter.
  • Options
    BrettDeutschBrettDeutsch Registered Users Posts: 365 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2011
    All very nice shots -- great 15 minute shoots, for sure. Looks like you got the beauty dish well positioned to me. #2 is the only one that feels too flat to me (a bit octo plus a reflector can end up too even). Would be nice to see what you can do with another light or two so you can separate your subjects from the background a bit.
  • Options
    edited October 27, 2011
    Qarik wrote: »
    there really isn't much to critique here. shots are pertty much perfect. feeling rushed? never would have noticed. pretty much the only way to get over that"rushed" feeling is doing it over and over and over again.
    I forgot to add that three other shoots were attempted to shoot during each 15 minute session as well.

I think you're correct about practice being the only way to get over the rushed feeling. Unfortunately, it's going to take a lot more practice. :cry
  • Options
    edited October 27, 2011
    I agree with Daniel. You did really well on these April. I even like the processing on the dude. Fits the image well. Great job.

Thanks for your kind words! I saw that you recently acquired some bees from Nik and have been doing wonderful things with them as well! You're so luck that you live with a beautiful model that is willing to sit in front of the lens :D It took about two weeks of planning to do this homework shoot.
  • Options
    edited October 27, 2011
    Shima wrote: »
    I love how you're always complaining to me about how you hate lighting when we chat...but you're so good at it! I love #1 :)

I do hate it. I really do! It's taken two long years of hard work to get to this point where I don't panic when a person is in front of my lens and I still feel like i know very little.

I'm so much happier shooting a hockey game.
  • Options
    edited October 27, 2011
    zoomer wrote: »
    Whatever you did in 1...keep doing that.
    Could use just a bit of fill on the left side....but that is being majorly nit picky.....and try not to crop fingers.....into or out of photos.
    Looks like you could easily be a portrait shooter and a sports shooter.

Thanks for the kind words and the comments. My main problem is knowing what type of light to use and how much shadow to leave in because when I first started my lighting journal, i incorrectly assumed that good light work was light everywhere, an evenly lit photo.

I"ll pay more attention to the extremities in the future.
  • Options
    edited October 27, 2011
    All very nice shots -- great 15 minute shoots, for sure. Looks like you got the beauty dish well positioned to me. #2 is the only one that feels too flat to me (a bit octo plus a reflector can end up too even). Would be nice to see what you can do with another light or two so you can separate your subjects from the background a bit.

Your comments are helpful. Where does one put the octo? Too flat? How much shadow should one aim for? I always wrestle with the concept of appropriated light. I think some of these answer might come with experience, but I"m not there yet.