Carolina Balloon Festival

adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
edited November 1, 2011 in Other Cool Shots
Not sure if this should be here or in Journeys, but figured this one wasn't about the trip but rather the destination. I almost got to go up, but an octogenarian bumped me, and who can tell a grandma that she can't get a balloon flight... Perhaps next year... Thanks for looking and any C&C are always welcome.

The day was perfect, and the evening glow was amazing!

i-2B7MHLQ-XL.jpg

i-FPHwSpK-XL.jpg

i-hjBjVNP-XL.jpg

i-9JkGCR2-XL.jpg

i-ZvjjQh7-XL.jpg

i-w88NxW7-XL.jpg

i-NVSGFMh-XL.jpg

i-KmGLX3D-XL.jpg

9. Thanks for looking this far down the thread... I really love the pool of light from the balloon.
i-6L3H9nH-XL.jpg
- Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
My SmugMug Site

Comments

• R.JayR.Jay Registered Users Posts: 974 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2011
    Hi Andrew, very nice series of shots here - I like #3 & #4 the best.

Cheers, Richard.
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2011
    Well done. Some very good scene selections....and nicely composed. The scenes in the dark ( very early morning, I suppose ) were handled really well.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2011
    Thanks, Richard & Tom. The glow shots were actually dusk into the early evening. I was really very dark once all the glows were done.
    I had never been to one of these, and it was really great. At least at this one you can be up very close to the balloons as they prepare and launch. I had my 70-200 in my pack all day, and never used it. The close-ups are at 120 on the 24-120 f/4 and the WA shots are with the 16-35 f/4. All using the D700.
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
  • rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2011
    Wonderful set of shots! Like angle of #5.

Question: Do they launch at night or is this post flight?

Must be like a kid in a candy store for you...
    edited October 26, 2011
    Totally ditched my family... :D

No, they don't launch at night. What they do for the glow is come back, set up and inflate. Then they do burns to make the envelope glow. Works really nicely on a cool night (in the low 50's) since the air cools off faster and they don't have to wait too long to do the next burn.

Being in the middle of 50 balloons all launching and prepping, there wasn't a direction you could turn and not find something interesting or an new angle to try. Definitely plan to go back next year.
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
  • CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2011
    Fine images. Good work.
    edited October 26, 2011
    Thanks for looking.
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
  • GSPePGSPeP Registered Users Posts: 3,882 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2011
    Great pictures thumb.gif

Are those all private balloons? Over here in Belgium (and Europe) most balloons are sponsored by some company that have their logo on it (except the special shapes). I hardly see any ballons with company logos in your pictures.
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2011
    Love 3, 4, 5, 6, 9. I'm so jealous! I've wanted to shoot in a setting like this but haven't had the chance yet. You did a beautiful job!
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
    edited October 27, 2011
    Peter, thank you. Yes most are privately owned. There were probably less than 5 corporate balloons.

Elaine, thanks!! We almost made it to the New Mexico festival back in 2008 but there was some gusty winds from the remnant of a hurricane blowing through and nothing flew the couple of days we were there. We made up for that with some other trips around Santa Fe... Apparently this was the first time they got to fly in the past 4-5 years here, so I feel doubly lucky -- it was close and they flew! The New Mexico festival is the largest and oldest in the US. This one is the second-oldest. The experience far surpassed my expectations so I highly recommend going if you can. If the weather holds next year, I definitely want to get up in a flight!
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
  • 00SS00SS Registered Users Posts: 730 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2011
    These are really good Andrew.. enjoyed viewing all of them clap.gif
    Devin
  • NatashaCNatashaC Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited October 27, 2011
    Love all of them too. Fantastic work!
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2011
    #3 for the win!!! Great shooting, Andrew.
  • leilanimrleilanimr Registered Users Posts: 200 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2011
    Wonderful series! So colorful, I feel like I'm there! Thanks for the mini vacation! :D
    edited October 31, 2011
    Devin, Natasha, Mitchell & Leilani, thanks!!! Ended up with about 100 images that I didn't want to part with at the end of it all. Submitted 3 to the festival...
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
  • jirojiro Registered Users Posts: 1,865 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2011
    Loved your excellent control of exposure and depth of field. Not to mention that you composed the shots pretty well. thumb.gifthumbthumb.gifthumbthumb.gifclap.gifclapclap.gif
    Sitting quietly, doing nothing. Spring comes and the grass grows by itself.

http://imagesbyjirobau.blogspot.com/
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2011
    Terrific series, Andrew! I like 3 and 4 the best. I almost wish there were no trees in #3, although they do provide context for the scene since you can see how high some of the balloons are above the ground. Trees or not, I think #3 is a wonderfully composed shot with great color. Well done!

When did you leave Austin?

Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
    edited November 1, 2011
    Thanks, Jiro!
    Lauren, thanks!! We moved to NC in June. Needed/wanted to get closer to our families and had an opportunity to relo and keep working from home for my company (based in CA). Though this isn't a standard crop, here's 3 without the trees (I guess some copious cloning could have accomplished the same thing...):

i-skCR96n-XL.jpg
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
    edited November 1, 2011
    I like it better this way. I wonder how it would print with that crop? As you say, it's not standard. But I do like it better w/o the trees. Thanks for showing it to me.

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
    edited November 1, 2011
    Okay, the content-aware fill got me 95% of the way there, and the a little bit of cleanup...

i-Gk6MfTs-XL.jpg

Do the balloons that aren't vertical bother you? With a little bit of work, I could rotate them to get a more perspective-corrected image from the original..
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
    edited November 1, 2011
    thumb.gif

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com