Sunset from Pemaquid Point Maine

hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
edited October 26, 2011 in Landscapes
Another sequence from Pemaquid Point.

I basically turned around from the lighthouse at sunset and grabbed some shots across the water.

These are somewhat different treatments of basically the same shot.

#1 HDR but somewhat brighter treatment

IMGP28091011-Edit-L.jpg

#2 Higher contrast HDR. Trying to bring out more details in the rocks

IMGP282456-Edit-L.jpg

#3 B&W treatment of #2

IMGP282456-Edit-2-L.jpg

Opinions, Comments, and Critiques appreciated.

Thanks for looking.

Comments

• bryanj87bryanj87 Registered Users Posts: 859 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2011
    #2 is the strongest I think. The texture and contrast in the the rocks is great.
  • anthonyrobinsonanthonyrobinson Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited October 25, 2011
    I'm not a particular fan of the over-processed HDR look personally, so I'll just comment on number 1.
    The brightness-dullness gradient from the closest rocks going back to the horizon definitely gives it a 3D feel, but I think the composition, misses the mark a little. The lines of the rocks converge on a point that doesn't do much. Still a nice photo nonetheless!

Number 2, I like the composition better, as that same convergence point is placed in a better spot in the frame.

And wherever that place is, it looks very very nice!
  • joe-bobjoe-bob Registered Users Posts: 368 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2011
    I like #3 for the same reasons Bryan mentioned. I prefer it in black and white. Nice shot.
  • hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2011
    Thanks for the comments, everyone. I normally go for a more natural look with HDR but periodically I like to try completely different processing to see what comes out. In #2 I went with a modified 'Painterly' mapping in Photomatix. So I went to some extremes in the sliders. Then pushed some localized adjustments in Photoshop. Just trying to see what else can come out.