It's About the Power

IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
edited October 29, 2011 in Sports
Anyone who thinks field hockey is a game for sweet little girls, or that it's akin to occasional-contact-golf, ought to ask whether they'd really like to be on the receiving end of any of these . . .:huh

i-szjdZ7w-XL.jpg

SPT4653-XL.jpg

JWS6470-XL.jpg

JWS6693-XL.jpg

:wink
John :
Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.

Comments

• MDalbyMDalby Registered Users Posts: 697 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2011
    Wow, I have never watched a field hockey game before. They are getting some leverage on those swings. that can do some damage to a shin.
    Nikon D4, 400 2.8 AF-I, 70-200mm 2.8 VR II, 24-70 2.8
    CBS Sports MaxPreps Shooter
    http://DalbyPhoto.com
  • VitaminVVitaminV Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    edited October 26, 2011
    Real nice! Wish we had field hockey out west. I grew up in Mass where it was huge. I didn't know they allowed the sticks to get that high. I guess I do see the need for eye protection.
  • nipprdognipprdog Registered Users Posts: 660 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2011
    More proof of why I'm happy that Field Hockey, and Lacrosse, are not popular in Indiana. mwink.gif
  • wmstummewmstumme Registered Users Posts: 466 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2011
    Nice work.

Really Like number 3. That shot really matches the thread title!

Not sure why, but usually when I catch them in the back swing--I don't get the sense of power that yours have: See how flat this one seems...

IMG2743a-M.jpg

I think I tend to do better during the follow through...

IMG1761a-M.jpg

IMG1297a-M.jpg

IMG1119a-M.jpg

Not sure if your #4 works for me--too much of the important stuff in the shot seems OOF. However, I have a similar one--not sure if it works either, as too much seems OOF...

IMG2445a-M.jpg
    Regards

Will
    From just looking at the backswing images, I think the main difference is whether they have planted their foot just starting the swing. Your first image looks like she is still pulling back whereas the tensed quads in Icebear's shots convey the energy more. Your shot also looks like it from a little higher, which may be affecting the perception as well.

just a non-pro observation...
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2011
    Andrew makes a good point. I try to take a lot of shots from down low. Sometimes the field just gives it to me with a nice crown, but other times it means getting my knees wet and sore. Lately I've been using a folding camp chair.

Also, I think there's a direct repationship between how far the player's feet are spread and the perception of power in the shot.

And the muscles don't tense on the backswing. You have to catch the moment the stroke begins. High frame rate is your best friend.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.