Options

My 5D and 20D

JamokeJamoke Registered Users Posts: 257 Major grins
edited October 22, 2005 in Cameras
So I bought a Canon 20D, Tamron 70-300, Canon 28-135 IS USM, Canon 18-55 USM, 580 EX, and a few other toys at Ritz Camera The other day. I had a pile of loot on their store counter.

In the pile was a Canon 85mm 1.8 as well, but this guy walked in and requested that he could buy it, and the associate assisting him just took it and handed it to his customer. I complained, and insisted that I was going to purchase the lens, but I was still gathering other items. My associate said that he couldn't remember if I had wanted it or not... so I lost the lens. They told me it would take weeks to order another one, because of the convention in New York, and some story about how everybody was on backorder.

So I gave Tallyn's a call (Thanks Andy, I put you as my reference because you saved my story) and ordered my 5D, Battery Grip (which isn't out yet) and my 85mm 1.8 Lens. they saved the day and shipped the camera next day air. My sanity restored, and I've found my new supplier.

I absolutely love the 5D. I shot all day with my 20D, and came home to a 5D. I was blown away at the difference. I haven't taken anything other than using the automatic settings, and just shooting lazily. But even those shots were so near perfect I don't know what to do with them yet (post processing). Awesome noise levels, clarity, etc. Nice lenses too. I can recommend everything but the EF-S 18-55 USM lens. I don't know if I'll ever use it for anything professional.

But Tallyn's Rules. They even sent me a bunch of Canon extras as well. Fast, Fun to work with. Great company. I wish I had bought all my equipment from them.
Mine: Canon 20D, 50 f1.8 II, 28-105 II, 70-200 f2.8L, T 70-300 Macro, T 2X expander, 12-24 Sigma
Hers: Sony SR10, (Soon Canon 5D MKII), 85 f1.8, 28-135 USM, Stroboframe, Manfrotto NeoTec
Ours: Pair of 580 EX, Lensbaby, Studio Alien Bees, Son & TWO Daughters

Comments

• Options
    erich6erich6 Registered Users Posts: 1,638 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2005
    Must be nice to be able to get all these toys. Early Christmas? mwink.gif

I would have left the Ritz store and not bought anything. I think that company is really taking a plunge. I used to like them but the last few times I've gone to one of their store they have either been incompetent or pretentious.

Erich
  • Options
    W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2005
    Jamoke wrote:
    So I bought a Canon 20D, Tamron 70-300, Canon 28-135 IS USM, Canon 18-55 USM, 580 EX, and a few other toys at Ritz Camera The other day. I had a pile of loot on their store counter .....
    I would have told them it shove the whole order where the sun doesn't shine! Any other retailer would fall over backwards to fulfill an order like that, and give you a very good deal to boot.
  • Options
    allanallan Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited October 22, 2005
    the 5D is out....Alkit camera has it at Park Ave. S & 18th St. in NYC. i got one!
    An N, a few L's and a bounch of #'s that let me 'see' better...
    28 years of trying to capture emotion...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/allanmichael/
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2005
    excellent. tallyn's is really a great outfit, i love them.
  • Options
    Mike CurtisMike Curtis Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited October 22, 2005
    Jamoke wrote:
    My associate said that he couldn't remember if I had wanted it or not... so I lost the lens.
    My response would have been, "Oh, I wasn't sure if you really wanted this sale or not." And then I would have walked out. You must really want to support your local "brick and mortar" store because I can't even believe anybody still pays MSRP for their cameras. Ritz/Wolf camera stores have horrible prices, and they won't budge a bit to be more competitive. I was in a store a few months ago looking at a Sunpak 383 flash. I could easily buy it online for $60 some odd dollars. They wanted $100. I told them I could get it easily for $40 less, and they told me they couldn't drop the price. To make the story even better, the only one they had, they were selling as brand new. Funny thing is it had the original purchaser's receipt still in the box from when he returned it. The only money I give Wolf/Ritz camera is when I absolutely need something small like a camera strap or bag. Never will I pay their exorbitant prices for anything else. Just my thoughts on that.

Mike
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2005
    Jomoke,

I gota tell ya, (no disrespect intended) I know me well enought to say without a doubt, I would have just walked out.

This is not a place you want to do business with.

I have a camera store less than a mile from my house, and yes I did spend a few $$ there, but they just aren't as friendly, and helpfull as my favorite store Keeble & Shuchat which is about a 40 minute round trip for me. They just seem to treat everyone better.

I don't need to be treated like royalty. Just treat me right, and answer my dumb questions without laughing to hard.

Sam
  • Options
    JamokeJamoke Registered Users Posts: 257 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2005
    I haven't been back since. Trust me everybody I haven't even called them (they still are holding items for me) They did loose my business. And I try to support the Brick and Mortar of this City as much as I can. But your all right. They should have lost that sale. One part of the story I left out, was that I asked for the purchase to be put on a different associates commission. Because the reason I was there, was I had made a friend with one of the associates. He wasn't there that night so I was going to help out another guy and his commission, but I did kinda kicked him in the pants on the way out by making him put it as another persons sale. So he did loose about two hours helping me out, and he was a little pissed, and I explained to him why I did it. Anyway....

I won't support that company or any of their associates any more. It did really upset me, because I've bought all of my other cameras online for up to 60% off of MSRP. On this purchase I thought it might work out to give a guy a commission and recieve some good customer service in return. That's the only reason I would pay MSRP, is if it was an investment of sorts.

Plus my wife was there, and she just wanted to go home with a camera. She doesn't trust the internet and it's variety of scams, so I could get the camera then and there, or order it and wait for shipping... ah, and the other hassles. I was already there, so I just plunked down the cash. and they lost my business for the rest of my life, and my wife's business as well.

Tallyn's on the other hand, is pretty slick. I've realized I needed a couple more little additions, and they have been polite and easy to work with. Great customer service, and better prices. Not better then andy bay or e-bay... But still a great company to do business with.
    Mine: Canon 20D, 50 f1.8 II, 28-105 II, 70-200 f2.8L, T 70-300 Macro, T 2X expander, 12-24 Sigma
    Hers: Sony SR10, (Soon Canon 5D MKII), 85 f1.8, 28-135 USM, Stroboframe, Manfrotto NeoTec
    Ours: Pair of 580 EX, Lensbaby, Studio Alien Bees, Son & TWO Daughters