Options

Apple Picking Portraits

mjordanphotomjordanphoto Registered Users Posts: 88 Big grins
edited October 28, 2011 in People
It's sharing time! I'd love some C&C - these were taken at Stribling Orchard in VA a couple weekends ago. I went apple picking with my girlfriend, Sarah (blue shirt), and her good friend Hilary. More images on my SM site, the pictures link there if you want to check out any of those.

Thanks!

1a. I can't decide which one I like more... the color or B&W processing.
ApplePickingStriblingOrchard10-M.jpg

1b.
ApplePickingStriblingOrchard11-M.jpg

ApplePickingStriblingOrchard9-M.jpg

ApplePickingStriblingOrchard14-M.jpg

4. Incoming apple!
ApplePickingStriblingOrchard17-M.jpg

ApplePickingStriblingOrchard23-M.jpg

ApplePickingStriblingOrchard27-M.jpg

ApplePickingStriblingOrchard33-M.jpg

ApplePickingStriblingOrchard39-M.jpg

ApplePickingStriblingOrchard41-M.jpg

ApplePickingStriblingOrchard7-M.jpg

Comments

• Options
    laurenornotlaurenornot Registered Users Posts: 167 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2011
    10 is the best!

With all of these, my first instinct is that there's a bit too much blank space above their heads, or perhaps too much cut off the bottom. I assume you probably wanted to maintain some of the background so the context made sense, which is fine, only if you're going that route I would suggest including slightly more of the bodies to even things out (e.g. in 6 her elbow is chopped, and in 7 her hands are).

I would like 1 more if that apple-picking tool thing wasn't in it. I think color is better if you could tweak a little bit of the yellow out.

Also, I'm jealous that you went apple-picking! APPLE PIE. MMMMMMM.
  • Options
    edited October 26, 2011
    10 is the best!

With all of these, my first instinct is that there's a bit too much blank space above their heads, or perhaps too much cut off the bottom. I assume you probably wanted to maintain some of the background so the context made sense, which is fine, only if you're going that route I would suggest including slightly more of the bodies to even things out (e.g. in 6 her elbow is chopped, and in 7 her hands are).

I would like 1 more if that apple-picking tool thing wasn't in it. I think color is better if you could tweak a little bit of the yellow out.

Also, I'm jealous that you went apple-picking! APPLE PIE. MMMMMMM.

I definitely see where you're coming from on #6 & #7 with the body parts. #6 was not intentional, but in #7, she had her cellphone sticking out of her pocket and it really distracted from the shot.

Maybe you prefer this one instead of #6?

ApplePickingStriblingOrchard28-M.jpg

I actually like the spacing in these, giving a sense of scale and location, but I can absolutely see where you're coming from on it. And I couldn't agree more on #1, if only she didn't have it in her hand! They weren't particularly keen on posing or re-taking shots throughout the morning (and were already annoyed enough that I was behind the camera 99% of the time, rather than helping pick the tall ones!), but even with the tool in her hand, I think it's my favorite shot of the day. I also think the B&W treatment helps keep it from being too obtrusive... but that's just me!

I love #10 as well, I'm glad you think it's as successful as I do! Apparently "skipping is just what you do when you go apple picking," or at least that's what she told me!

I love apple picking, and these two beautiful ladies treated me to a wonderful afternoon of baking - they must have made 5 or 6 different things with the apples when we got back!
  • Options
    laurenornotlaurenornot Registered Users Posts: 167 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2011
    Yes, I definitely prefer the second crop to #6, but of course it really is just personal preference and style, go with what you like!
  • Options
    edited October 26, 2011
    Yes, I definitely prefer the second crop to #6, but of course it really is just personal preference and style, go with what you like!

Thanks! I like that one too, but something about the completely blown out sky bothers me a little, it almost looks like torn paper at the top. *shrug* I definitely appreciate the feedback, it's actually making me look at these a little closer (most of these haven't been cropped at all, in fact, #6 and the "updated" one I provided were different images)... I think I'd like some more variety, because as much as I like the framing with extra space near the top, I think there are a few that would work better with less of that included.

Thanks so much for the input - I really do appreciate it! Can't get better if people don't challenge you to look at your own work more critically (not that I don't love hearing that people love my pictures! rolleyes1.gif)
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2011
    #8 and #10 are great.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited October 28, 2011
    #8 and #10 are great.

Didn't see your comment before - thanks! I really like #8 as well :D