XC running II

ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
edited October 23, 2005 in Sports
Another day, another match. This time, I might be a little closer to where I want to be, but it's still frustrating. The step ladder idea is a good one; next time I'll try it.

40977102-L.jpg

40976889-L.jpg

40964721-L.jpg

40977018-L.jpg
If not now, when?

Comments

• gsgarygsgary Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2005
    I like no 3+4 best have you tried a tighter vertical crop on no2 it may look better, but taking advice off me may be a big mistake:D

Looking at no2 again if you had gone a bit to the right you may have got the 3rd runner in the shot
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2005
    The lighting looks kinda tough to me. I wanted to say to up the EV in the camera, then I saw the one where it is dark one place and light another.

I wanted to ask the other day, the exif? If these people were birds....... I would be shooting them pretty much wide open to try to get rid of some of the background. F8 or F11, if possible, and I would try the more wide open, to my lenses, f 5.6....... I would rather have selective focus than the opposite. I have that problem with the birds at the shrimp boat place at Shem Creek. The background often hurts my shots. Lots of birds: that is good, I work them up, can't see them for the background: not so good (trash)

How far away you are from the subj makes a huge difference as I am sure you know. If I am close enough, with birds, I will try to isolate tham by getting down low so the sky becomes the background. I know you can get there, it is just figuring out how. The ladder and the getting down low, whichever works........the best thing about just "getting down" is it is just a body position, you are not ladder dependent, smile.

Either that or I would embrace the background. I haven't tried that with a chain link fence lately, but it can be done. The two kids coming out of the trees, I would use those trees as a pretty neutral background. Keep the other people out of lens and frame using the trees, just sitting there ready to grab the runners as they come out. I do that kind of anticipation thing often, doesn't always work, you have a pretty good chance of it working, a better chance than I do with dogs or birds. Trees are good for a background.

How many did you shoot? I would have shot all of my cards: 400 RAW shots.

ginger (Is the weather going to be OK for tonight?)

(I have enough sunrise shots, yet I woke up at 6 AM, darn, don't know what to do with myself here.)
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2005
    Thanks, GS and Ginger.

I took a lot more of these than I processed. Not quite 400, but almost. Down to about 100 after the first cut. I have some wide open and some the opposite (in order to catch a motion blur.) The lighting was very tought as you can see. I keep hoping for an overcast afternoon, but the last two meets have had bright sunlight. It's only going to get worse when daylight savings time kicks in.

F/2.8 with the 70-200 gets great bokah and selective focus. But you can see from the next to last shot, that it has it's own problems. For this shot, it wasn't even open enough to blur out the football game and fence in the background, but it's open enough so that only one runner is in focus.

I know how hard birds are, but at least in one way this is harder, more like BIF than sitting birds, but add the fact that the window of opportunity is pretty short and won't happen again.

All the shots are in this gallery: http://rutt.smugmug.com/gallery/901469 As I said, I haven't processed all the good ones yet, but maybe the best ones. I'd be in your debt if you take a look and let me know if I missed a good one. Thanks.
    If not now, when?
    edited October 22, 2005
    Lazy man's "work" here
    I went back to sleep, just woke up again, saw your post, Rutt. Didn't go to your site, yet, just lifted this off here, and used shadow/highlights to open up the faces, tried to hold some contrast. Cropped it vertically as the rest is just superfluous for my purpose: to show the runners. Left a bit more space on my left than on my rt so the boys would have room to run into it.

Your resolution and stuff was excellent to allow me to get as much as I did with a small amt of the photo, just lifted off of here. Please send camera and lens..............actually right now I need a macro lens more, perhaps an 85 macro would be fine.

I think that is all I did......... I am almost, but not quite, awake now. Oh, yeah, important, I cloned away all traces of the third person.

41017135-L.jpg

g (just a finisher, a bit)
    edited October 22, 2005
    Thanks, Ginger. I didn't crop that much because I'm in love with the coach who is that guy on the right. But I like your crop; goes to show the kind of things that can blind the photographer. I already hit this with s/h pretty hard. I guess taking to over the top and accepting that it's not going to look realistic, well that's an option for this shot.

I'm viewing this particular shoot as a learning step. I got a couple of ones I like and I'm figuring out what to do next time. Maybe I'll get overcast next time.
    If not now, when?
    edited October 22, 2005
    Another stick shot, perhaps better:

41017472-L.jpg

This is my youngest son and the first time he has been first in one of these races. So of course, I really wanted this shot. So of course, I choked and didn't really get what I wanted. And of course he was as uncooperative as possible. *Sigh*
    If not now, when?
    edited October 22, 2005
    Yeah, it is a beautiful sunny day here today, too. Damn shame!

I don't know what you mean by "realistic", but when you look at something in real life, your eyes see what you need to see. They open up the face for you.

Of course, you need to keep some contrast: just for esthetics if nothing else, and it gives shape, too, I think. But the eye also "needs" to see. IMO With that harsh lighting problem, there were shadows in some photos, damn shadows, couldn't use the photo cause of the shadow...........IMO

I just looked at your photos. A lot depends on "who" you want to show, like the coach. I would not have kept him in that photo, but I am sure there are some that would portray the coach quite "nicely".

g
    edited October 22, 2005
    Yeah, I was trying to figure out what the stick was. I figured that it had some significance. That one is better.

g (don't know if it is the best, haven't checked.)
    edited October 22, 2005
    Of course the important thing is The Stick
    Ok, so this is the epitome of a different way to PP than you do. And I did a bit too much, but I didn't want to go back and start all over.

I like this photograph, and I think it is full frame. I like the emotion in it. I like that the stick is in focus as is your son (kind of in focus), I take it, but the background is not in focus, so the raw emotion comes out. The sharper focus of the stick shows, to me, how important the fact of the finish is.

To get that I had to let it go dark. I lost one eye in the process as far as light and dark is concerned, but I figured the loss was worth the show of emotion. I don't think that is in the eyes at all, so "bye bye" eye.

What could drive you nuts is the black line around the stick and all. I know where that came from. When/if you were to do it in LAB, you would not get that. It was not from sharpening.

But I do like the emotion in this shot, just me, I do like it. I couldn't "get" the coach. He has some interesting facial expressions, but none that I could pull out and put together. Next time, as you said. You have an idea of what you are going for.

Also there was a woman with grey hair (an old lady, smile). I liked her a bit, and a couple of girls. I don't know which ones were most important to you.

I like this photo a lot. You could work it up your way, make it "yours" and pleasant to you.

ginger
    41023770-L.jpg
    edited October 22, 2005
    Thanks again, Ginger. It's always nice when someone else does me the favor of digging though a pile of my shots and finding the good stuff that I've missed somehow or didn't see right.

The grey haired woman is the mother of my son's best friend and I've been stalking her for years. She is terrically camera shy so this was a great get. It's in the queue for processing.

I did post a couple of those girls here: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=20871
    If not now, when?
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited October 22, 2005
    John, isn't this harsh, overhead sunlight a good place to use fill flash and shoot in AV mode to lighten the shadows a bit? Just a thought - the lighting does look challenging and like it changes for every shot. But I think Fill flash with the 580 at FEC of -2/3 or -1&1/3 might have helped out.ne_nau.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
    edited October 22, 2005
    pathfinder wrote:
    John, isn't this harsh, overhead sunlight a good place to use fill flash and shoot in AV mode to lighten the shadows a bit? Just a thought - the lighting does look challenging and like it changes for every shot. But I think Fill flash with the 580 at FEC of -2/3 or -1&1/3 might have helped out.ne_nau.gif

Thank you, Jim. That's worth trying.
    If not now, when?
  • mereimagemereimage Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2005
    If you want less dof then go long. Focal length plays a bigger roll them f stop. Try the 100-400L at ~400mm to blur that background....Mereimage