Options

Fall in Vermont.... by Minivan.

ajroahkniajroahkni Registered Users Posts: 82 Big grins
edited November 9, 2011 in Journeys
Took a trip to the bucket lister that is Vermont in the Fall. I was so stoked thinking about it beforehand.

However, it soon became apparent that my desires to sit and shoot foliage ranked a distant second to that which is the Vermont Brewery Passport tour...you get a "passport" at your first brewery and your job is to collect stamps of the 15 or so breweries to get a free t-shirt. I was like, "Really?"

This should give an idea of my shooting perch for the week...
i-djf98dr-L.jpg

Luckily, nowadays minivans come with full-sliding mid-windows, so I could roll 'em down for limited amounts of time (we're from Hawaii - 50* weather at 60 mph is freezing). Unfortunately, it was deep-woods and overcast for most of the trekking, which meant slow shutters and "good luck with that."

So, here's my collection of Fall:

I call this one The Shivering
i-Jfp2Gvw-L.jpg

This one: Orange
i-pWxvbfP-XL.jpg

Vermont has beautiful old barns and farmhouses, some are very well cared for and many have been repaired since the floods of summer. Here are two of em, accidentally forming the background to foliage:
i-VtFm2mX-XL.jpg

The road headed up mountain, allowing me to shoot "off guardrail" and down onto the foliage. There were gaps where you could compose a pretty nice shot of green valleys down below and autumn framing it up front....our beer-passported driver felt that these scenes were best appreciated at speed.
i-rLhCHCC-L.jpg

From what I've seen of fall photos, I really appreciate those shots that are patiently stalked out, where the forest seems to have different bands of color at different depths of focus, looking so alive and vibrant. I totally didn't nail it with this one.
i-6SBg4jt-L.jpg

This one looks equally as splendid at 100 pixels resolution.
i-MGxPgD4-L.jpg

see
i-MGxPgD4-Ti.jpg

:D

John

Comments

• Options
    rpcrowerpcrowe Registered Users Posts: 733 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2011
    Motion Blur
    It seems a bit overdone...
  • Options
    fjcvisualfjcvisual Registered Users Posts: 201 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2011
    I like Orange.

It seems like all of these were taken from a moving vehicle. This may have produced some inconsistent results, where parts of the image show more blur than others. Not sure if this was the intent.

In any case, hope the brew hopping went well and you are sporting a new t shirt.

Vermont is beautiful.

Jim
  • Options
    ajroahkniajroahkni Registered Users Posts: 82 Big grins
    edited November 3, 2011
    I'm convinced that one day I'll be able to nail shutter speed sync to car speed, but not on this trip - too cold.

When I was able to make them stay still, the leaves were beautiful.
    i-FMrWRr8-XL.jpg

i-rXwPFwX-XL.jpg

Houses, not so lucky.
    i-55LKRJk-XL.jpg

Waterfalls were nice
    i-sWVcvLq-XL.jpg

i-PCjNnSM-XL.jpg

Did a few shots of these
    i-2F9Sbpb-XL.jpg

And a lot of shots of these
    i-fmFWjHT-XL.jpg

I enjoyed this brewer the most.
    i-6jpRGKw-XL.jpg

But then ended up doing regretful things imbibed at the museum.
    i-LjB3NPp-XL.jpg
  • Options
    PrezwoodzPrezwoodz Registered Users Posts: 1,147 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2011
    I really like that you went with an odd technique and really worked it into some fun images. I like them! Great job.