Some Roller Derby - season closer

Molotov EverythingMolotov Everything Registered Users Posts: 211 Major grins
edited November 2, 2011 in Sports
Just wanted to share some shots from the last derby I went to a few weeks ago. Unfortunately it's going to be the last one for a while, season's over till next year. Also, this is the last bout in that arena, the owner has given the derby girls the boot to tear up the rink and replace it with an indoor soccer field. Weak. Hopefully they find a new home soon.
Anyways, let me know what you guys think.

1)
skyland-rollergirls-queen-city-cherry-bombs-041.jpg

2)
skyland-rollergirls-queen-city-cherry-bombs-046.jpg

3) I feel like I should crop this in more on the left. To this point I've been trying to crop everything with the original aspect ratio. I'm thinking I should stop caring about aspect ratios and just do it however I see fit. Opinions on that?
skyland-rollergirls-queen-city-cherry-bombs-037.jpg

4)Not much of an action shot, more of a 'sportrait' (a term I learned on this forum).
skyland-rollergirls-queen-city-cherry-bombs-030.jpg

5)
skyland-rollergirls-queen-city-cherry-bombs-051.jpg

Comments

• PhotosbychuckPhotosbychuck Registered Users Posts: 1,239 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2011
    Hi Molotov

Nice series clap.gif

1) Great Photo
    2) The DOF is so small only one person is in focus.
    I think it would help to have a larger DOF so both people are in focus.
    3) I agree with you on the photo crop more off the left side.
    You might even want to crop some of the right to the main subject.
    4) Great Photo
    5) Nice shot but wish both players where in focus.

Take Care,
    Chuck,
    www.icurdigital.com
    D300S, 18-200mm VR, 70-300mm VR

Aperture Focus Photography
    http://aperturefocus.com
  • Molotov EverythingMolotov Everything Registered Users Posts: 211 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2011
    Thanks for the input Chuck.
    Really, I wouldn't have this issue with how to crop #3 if I had framed it better in the first place but that ship has sailed.
    As for the DOF issue, I was thinking about how to deal with that. I was shooting everything at 2.8, 500SS and 5000 ISO. I could try dropping it to f/4, but I don't have much room to push the ISO any higher, I really don't want to go over 6400. So I guess I could drop the SS a bit till exposure is good.
    So the plan I'm formulating... use the 2 user preset modes on my camera. Have one set up for good exposure at f2.8, and the other at f4. Then try to switch between the two as the players get closer. Hopefully I remember that in March when the next season starts.
    Oh, and hopefully their new rink actually has decent lighting. If it's bad enough the whole idea of shooting at f/4 could go out the window unless I start using a flash again, but I've been liking shooting without a flash.