5. i-sHCpGmh-XL.jpg

6. i-8Km9ZVP-XL.jpg

Comments

• Options
    adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2011
    Very nice, as always. I really like #4 bowdown.gif
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2011
    FOUR!! Seriously Charles. You're work is consistently terrific, but that one really makes me sit up and take notice - fanatastic shot!!!!
  • Options
    briandelionbriandelion Registered Users Posts: 512 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2011
    Sometimes b&w photographs suggest the tonality of a charcoal drawing but #4 is like a beautifully rendered pen & ink. Very inspiring!
    "Photography is not about the thing photographed.
    It is about how that thing looks photographed." Garry Winogrand

Avatar credit: photograph by Duane Michals- picture of me, 'Smash Palace' album
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2011
    Thanks all, these gals were really fun to work with and to boot they said they had a great time at the studio. At times I wonder if I'm too anal or old.
  • Options
    adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2011
    If anal is what brings out these amazing photos, keep it up!!! Never too old.... (I hope).
    FWIW, what really drew me to #4 is that it feels 100% casual yet perfect lighting.
    The other are "just" wonderfully posed and lit... :D Your clients should be thrilled with the emotion, variety and quality you bring to the table...
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2011
    1 and 4 for me...love the energy. I like all of them....your work is always technically good.
    Nice work!
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2011
    Nice set..........clap.gifclapclap.gif

Sam
  • Options
    BilsenBilsen Registered Users Posts: 2,143 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2011
    BEAUTIFUL. Can't pick between 2, 4 and 5.
    Bilsen (the artist formerly known as John Galt NY)
    Canon 600D; Canon 1D Mk2;
    24-105 f4L IS; 70-200 f4L IS; 50mm 1.4; 28-75 f2.8; 55-250 IS; 580EX & (2) 430EX Flash,
    Model Galleries: http://bilsen.zenfolio.com/
    Everything Else: www.pbase.com/bilsen
  • Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2011
    Very nice.

We are all too anal. Its what keeps us getting better than we were yasterday!:D
  • Options
    TinstaflTinstafl Registered Users Posts: 355 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2011
    Great Series
    Wonderful series. I really like number 4 as well. You are never too old and being detail oriented is what produces the wonderful shots. Yes there is creativity there but to bring it to life so perfectly, that is the details that shows your mastery of the craft.
  • Options
    SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2011
    Nice mix and blend of poses, lighting and looks. Great job Charles! Love #4.....sparky!
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • Options
    shatchshatch Registered Users Posts: 798 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2011
    Love number 4. Well done.
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2011
    Charles, I've been thinking about this one a lot. I think the difference between #4 and some of your other - always technically excellent - work is that the technique is completely transparent. For instance, in 2 & 6, I'm quite aware of them having been "posed" - they're good poses, the kids look terrific and the shots are nice, but they have a kind of static quality to them (not always a bad thing - the classic, still, formal portrait certainly still has it's place in the world!). Even in #1 - despite the movement - I'm aware of a "fixed smile" behind the hair. But with #4, I feel like you've caught a piece of something else. Any photographer knows there's tremendous skill in thr lighting, crop and conversion og #4, but the resulting photo comes across as all about her, rather than anything to do with the photographer.

Not sure if this rambling makes any sense at all, but fwiw. I do love that shot! thumb.gif
  • Options
    cr8ingwavescr8ingwaves Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2011
    I love your outdoor studio area! Agree with Diva's ramblings.....lol
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2011
    Diva...4 was still posed but I guess when someone asks you to mess up your hair and put it on top of your head while mom is watching and wondering where you are going with this can bring out the devil in all of us. ( thank goodness for a little bit of the devil )

I do have a problem with alot of the photos here that are spontaneous but lack posing and lighting. They look more like snapshots to me. I have seen alot of spontaneous shots that are techincally posed and lit. I guess you gotta have a little of all three.

Thanks all for your kind comments.