Chal. 50 Colors - Which one? Do they work?

johnojohno Registered Users Posts: 617 Major grins
edited October 23, 2005 in The Dgrin Challenges
Here are a couple of shots taken this weekend... I was in Portland, OR and went out with a friend of mine who I hope will be signing up as a DGrinner. :D We went the Japanese Garden just before closing and took several shots... I wish we had more time.

Well, here they are... Any help? Do they work? One over the other? You know the deal. Thanks

fallsa.jpg
Falls at the Japanese Garden

falls2a.jpg
Falls North of Multnomah Falls. Sorry, I didn't get the name.

peace.
johno~
If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other.
~Mother Teresa

Canon 1D Mark II / Canon 50D / Canon 30D / Canon G9
Canon 50mm 1.4
Canon 24-105 f/4 L IS / Canon 70-200 f/2.8 L

blog
johno's gallery

Comments

• SnapHappySnapHappy Registered Users Posts: 328 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2005
    Both of these are really nice.
    I think I prefer the 2nd as a shot but the 1st is more colourful. thumb.gif Not sure on the framing techniQue you have used on 1 ne_nau.gif
  • johnojohno Registered Users Posts: 617 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2005
    Thanks Snap for the feed back. As far as the frame for the first shot goes, I was playing in PS :D Just had to give it a try.

peace.
    johno~
    If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other.
    ~Mother Teresa

Canon 50mm 1.4

blog
    johno's gallery
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2005
    Johno, in theory these shots work, and they are nice photos. I prefer the first one, but I would ditch the frame technique you used. Also, it is too blue. I would desaturate it a bit and work with it until you don't see all that blue in the water. I don't usually see blue waterfalls, maybe that is because they don't reflect the sky, don't know.

I actually, this is what I think, and I could be dead wrong on this. I think that a pure color shot, almost abstract, stemming from something in nature. Probably a macro (would be nice if I had a macro lens) will win this thing.

But, as I said, I could really be wrong! And your shots are very good. I would just get rid of the blue tint. If you shot RAW, you can do it there very easily. If not, there are other ways.

Also that framing thing is not obvious enough to really work, it just distracts from the photo, IMO.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Johno, in theory these shots work, and they are nice photos. I prefer the first one, but I would ditch the frame technique you used. Also, it is too blue. I would desaturate it a bit and work with it until you don't see all that blue in the water. I don't usually see blue waterfalls, maybe that is because they don't reflect the sky, don't know.

15524779-Ti.gif
  • mwgricemwgrice Registered Users Posts: 383 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2005
    I like the first one a little better. The frame is distracting, though.

I have to say that I loved the Japanese Garden when we were in Portland a couple of years ago.
  • johnojohno Registered Users Posts: 617 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2005
    Thanks for the comments everyone... Amazing what a change in boarder can do, or not do for a picture. I understand what you are saying G about the blue... I will work on it. I have one other pic I am working on that I will try to post later.

Back to the drawing board. ne_nau.gif

peace.
    johno~
    ~Mother Teresa

Canon 50mm 1.4

blog
    johno's gallery