Need flash any suggestions?

jtutp4jtutp4 Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
edited October 31, 2011 in Sports
In December, winter high school sports begin. I will be taking pictures of the local high school wrestling team. I have a Nikon D300s, and 2 lenses-a Nikon 35-70 f2.8 and a Nikon 80-200 f2.8 (had to sell my soul and all my old film equipment to afford it). I am wondering, since some of the gyms I will be shooting in the lighting basically stinks, do I need a flash (or will the f2.8 lenses suffice)? And if I do need one, any suggestions which one to buy (stick with Niko or is here a better choice)? Thank you for your suggestions and advice!

Comments

• Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2011
    1st check and see if they woill allow you to use flash...... is so buy the best you can afford...I really like the SB900 ... ... .. but Ziggy swears by the Sigmas and if it is atop the cam or connected by a iTTL cable then they may be great..... I tried 2 about 2 years ago and did not like them...but have used plenty of Sigma equipment thru the years .. .. ..

If the D300s has very usable images at iso 1600 then it should not be a problem ...most gyms I have been was only terrible lighting due to color of sodium vapor lighting...but as far a brightness it was doable at iso 400 for me and a 70-200f2.8.......
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• jtutp4jtutp4 Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited October 31, 2011
    Art Scott wrote: »
    1st check and see if they woill allow you to use flash...... is so buy the best you can afford...I really like the SB900 ... ... .. but Ziggy swears by the Sigmas and if it is atop the cam or connected by a iTTL cable then they may be great..... I tried 2 about 2 years ago and did not like them...but have used plenty of Sigma equipment thru the years .. .. ..

If the D300s has very usable images at iso 1600 then it should not be a problem ...most gyms I have been was only terrible lighting due to color of sodium vapor lighting...but as far a brightness it was doable at iso 400 for me and a 70-200f2.8.......

Thanks. Last year the local newspaper photographer was using a flash during the matches.