New Concept

SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
edited November 9, 2011 in The Big Picture
I have read some complaints about forum clicks (sp) where known posters get rave reviews and unknowns get ignored.

Without making any judgments I can see how this can be perceived.

I wonder if it would be possible to have a temp forum category where people could post anonymously for critique and later after 30 days or so all the posters identity's can be reveled?

Could be interesting and entertaining.

Sam

Comments

• DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2011
    Thanks for the suggestion, Sam. Could be an interesting game. We'll look into it.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2011
    That would be cool deal.gif
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2011
    Moderator, I believe this belongs in The Big Picture thread where more people can see and comment on it. It's really buried in a thread that is more directed at issues or problems with the forum rather than a suggestion that would benifit from forum participant input.

Sam
    edited November 1, 2011
    sam wrote: »
    moderator, i believe this belongs in the big picture thread where more people can see and comment on it. It's really buried in a thread that is more directed at issues or problems with the forum rather than a suggestion that would benifit from forum participant input.

Sam

ok.
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited November 1, 2011
    OK people........if you don't let the monitors know you would like to give this a try it won't happen. So wake your little fingers up and at the very least type yes or no.

Sam
  • BendrBendr Registered Users Posts: 665 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2011
    Sounds cool to me! it would be interesting to try!

Ben
  • babowcbabowc Registered Users Posts: 510 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2011
    This would definitely be interesting to try!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    -Mike Jin
    D800
    16/2.8, f1.4G primes, f2.8 trio, 105/200 macro, SB900.
    It never gets easier, you just get better.
  • zoomnzoomn Registered Users Posts: 142 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2011
  • SnowgirlSnowgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,155 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2011
    I think it's a great idea - and could put the issue of "known vs unknown" to rest.
    Creating visual and verbal images that resonate with you.
    http://www.imagesbyceci.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ImagesByCeci
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
  • marionetmarionet Registered Users Posts: 382 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2011
    Sounds like a good idea.
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited November 2, 2011
    I'm kind of ambivalent about it. I think it's true that unknown posters aren't likely to receive as many comments as known posters and there are good reasons for that. I think many of us scan a forum for new posts and our eyes are drawn to known posters. If a long-standing forum member who's known to post consistently excellent photos starts a thread, you best believe people are going to open that thread first.. It's human nature. Most people want to see good photos to get inspired, and so the threads of folks who consistently post excellent photos are going to be the most popular. If you've got a limited amount of time to read a forum and there are two new posts, one by an unknown newbie, and one by Marc Muench, which one are you going to open first? If there are several of those, you might never get to the newbie posts. I'm guessing most folks don't have time to read every post.

Now there have been many notable cases where infrequent and even new contributors have posted some outstanding photos. And in those cases, it's been my observation that they do get the comments they deserve. When a post keeps getting bumped up to the top, you take notice. But, combine a newbie post with a mediocre or maybe even pretty good shot and there's a good chance it will receive very few comments. Most of us don't like given negative feedback so we end up giving no feedback at all.

Now as to the idea of this experiment, it proves absolutely nothing about unknown versus known posters as that element has been taken completely out of the equation. Oh sure, it's an interesting game, it just doesn't prove anything.
  • jwwjww Registered Users Posts: 449 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2011
    Lucky for me I suppose, I don't really know anyone here very well, but sounds like a fun idea.
  • Molotov EverythingMolotov Everything Registered Users Posts: 211 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2011
    'Cliques' is the spelling you were looking for I think.
    One thing though, it seems like allowing posts without registering kind of opens up the forum to spam bots, wouldn't it? I guess a 'guest' post could require a captcha or some such.
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2011
    Sounds like something that would be worth a try. On the other hand, one kind of critique this anonymity would eliminate is "not up to your usual standards" and I think that's pretty valuable to hear when warrented.

IMO it's a solution looking for a problem that I really don't think exists on this site. ne_nau.gif BUT what-the-heck, give it a go.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
    edited November 9, 2011
    Icebear wrote: »
    IMO it's a solution looking for a problem that I really don't think exists on this site. ne_nau.gif BUT what-the-heck, give it a go.

I agree, and it's a LOT of work for a "give it a go". thumb.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited November 9, 2011
    People,

This wasn't about creating a new permanent forum. It was just a thought. An idea for an experiment. In the original post I used the word "temp".

It ain't no big deal. It's just an idea. If people like, lets give it a go. If not then don't.

The world will continue, the universe won't end. All will be as it was.

Sam