just past peak colors, Acadia National Park

denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,341 moderator
edited November 2, 2011 in Landscapes
The last weekend in October is a maybe time for good colors in Acadia National Park. It was definitely past peak with a mix of greens, empty branches, and an occasional splash of color adding to the magic. This photo was taken (last Saturday) at one of the ponds on Park Loop Road, before the road turns out to the coast.
i-wsNS9sc-L.jpg
--- Denise

Comments

• redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2011
    Denise
    This is a good one to portray the fading of Autumn. I like the reflection--it shows that spot of red hanging on.

Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,341 moderator
    edited November 1, 2011
    redleash wrote: »
    This is a good one to portray the fading of Autumn. I like the reflection--it shows that spot of red hanging on.
    Thanks Lauren! It was a chilly weekend (with temperatures ranging from the high 30s to the low 40s), just past peak with some colors still showing.

I cut my trip short by a day to head home ahead of the snowstorm after seeing that the snow was predicted to be in the Bangor area past mid-day on Sunday. I'm a driving baby, didn't want to drive home on snow-covered roads. Still, 2 1/2 days in the park was good.

--- Denise
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2011
    Glad you had a good trip. Are you buried in snow now? Maybe you can start posting winter pics. :D
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
    edited November 1, 2011
    redleash wrote: »
    Glad you had a good trip. Are you buried in snow now? Maybe you can start posting winter pics.
    The snow is almost gone - we probably had between 4 and 6 inches at my house, but it started melting when the sun hit Sunday morning. I did take a few photos Sunday, but I had no power from Saturday night through last night so I haven't had a chance to see if there were any keepers among the few that I shot.

I'm lucky that I have my power back; there are still hundreds of thousands without, and the power companies are estimating a few more days before it's all restored. It was a real mess, trees still wearing leaves covered with heavy wet snow, branches falling and taking out power lines.

--- Denise
  • SnowgirlSnowgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,155 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2011
    Your shot has a painterly feel to it - I really like it - that quiet moment between seasons.

We also got the snow as it passed through on its way to inundating Newfoundland with a pile of it! We had a bit, but it didn't amount to much and was gone the next day. I holed up with cat on lap, dog on floor, tea in hand and chick flicks on the boob tube - a great way to spend a stormy Saturday. I had intended to take my 4-H group out on a photo shoot, but that didn't happen due to the dreadful driving conditions.
    Creating visual and verbal images that resonate with you.
    http://www.imagesbyceci.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ImagesByCeci
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
    edited November 1, 2011
    Snowgirl wrote: »
    Your shot has a painterly feel to it - I really like it - that quiet moment between seasons.

We also got the snow as it passed through on its way to inundating Newfoundland with a pile of it! We had a bit, but it didn't amount to much and was gone the next day.
    Thanks!

That was a really nasty storm, glad you had an easier time of it than we did.

--- Denise
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited November 1, 2011
    Nice reflection, Denise. The fading colors look nice now, and one can imagine what it looked like a week ago.
    edited November 2, 2011
    kdog wrote: »
    Nice reflection, Denise. The fading colors look nice now, and one can imagine what it looked like a week ago.
    Thanks Joel. I was there a week earlier last year, and the colors were brilliant. I enjoyed the subtlety of the colors this year though.

--- Denise