Options

Nikon White Lenses

WayupthereWayupthere Registered Users Posts: 179 Major grins
edited November 2, 2011 in Accessories
OK..lets talk about Nikon White Lenses!:lust
When I knew I was going to get back in the game, my thoughts were "if" white was available that's what I would grab.
As a manufacture of big boys and girls toys, I hate black..I am sick of black..I don't even like black tires. But that's what everyyybody wants. :rolleyes When my customer came to me several years ago and said "can you do satin black?"..I said yes..but I don't like it..
Then they came back a said.."what about flat black?" That's were I drew the line. Not just no..hell no. I hate black..But I really hate flat black.
Wow that little rant makes me feel a lot better :ivar

So I quickly learned there was the Henry Ford school of color options with Nikon..any color you want as long as it is Black..:cry
Imagine my surprise when I found a near new 300mm lens today..in white..:huh

Ok people..what the..is going on here. Where is the white coming from? Grey market?
Gary

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,851 moderator
    edited November 1, 2011
    Nikon did produce a "few" telephoto sports lenses in an off-white body color. They are now very hard to find.

The reason they have a white body is, ostensibly, for a similar reason Canon originally chose a very light gray (most call them white); it helps to keep the lens barrel cooler in bright summer sun.

For Canon this was more critical since some of the Canon long lenses have fluorite elements. Fluorite is not a glass but a crystal with desirable optical characteristics. Unfortunately fluorite is also relatively fragile and the lens barrel heat expansion can damage the delicate fluorite element. A light colored lens barrel was the engineering solution.

Surprisingly, the light color was not only accepted by the Canon sports photographers, many embraced the color as a sort of "badge".

Nikon produced a very few of their longer lenses with the white barrel in an apparent marketing attempt, as they still produced the black barrel versions. I don't think that it really "caught on" and now it's hard to find the white colored lenses at retail.

Edit: I think that Minolta also had one or two white lenses, as did Vivitar.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited November 1, 2011
    Thanks guys thumb.gif Yes the white to me just looks classy. The one for sale is a shop in Jersey. If they would have listed a phone # I would have it on the way.

Seymore, that is a dynamite looking Tamron for sure bowdown.gif
    Gary
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,851 moderator
    edited November 1, 2011
    Seymore wrote: »
    At one point (early-mid 80's) Tamron did some manual focus long glass in an off-white. I had one, that I really regret selling. Here's Tammys Adaptall 300/2.8...

62126037_5XhJf-S.jpg

62126052_g4rhm-S.jpg

Sweet. clap.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2011
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    Sweet. clap.gif

Sexy time! I have to echo this. I love these old lenses,
    the handling and looks wake something sentimental in me. :D

To me the best looking 300mm 2.8 is the current
    Sigma 300mm 2.8 EX - I wish I could find one at a
    good price. Can you give us some insight on how the
    Tamron performed? In any way similar to the Tokina 300mm 2.8 ?
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2011
  • Options
    edited November 1, 2011
    "Temporarily unavailable" and "Imported." :(
    :cry Yea too bad as that's the same ish price they want for the used one. "Imported" I have read up on that..still dont know how that works. Nikon USA doesn't have to warranty it so its cheaper. headscratch.gif
    Can you imajine rolling up on a Honda dealer selling "Imported" cars or bikes. Cheaper but with no warranty..eek7.gif
    Gary
  • Options
    Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2011
    Seymore wrote: »
    You can samples I shot with this lens on a D70... many many years ago:
    http://moorefoto.smugmug.com/Misc-Images/Camera-Gear/Tamron-300mm-f28-sold/1317215_vqcZG

For some reason the link doesn't work for me.
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    lfortierlfortier Registered Users Posts: 237 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2011
    I've got one of those white Nikon 300mm F/4 lens. The Canon people are surprised to find that it is a Nikon. The Nikon people really think it's cool.
  • Options
    edited November 2, 2011
    I've got one of those white Nikon 300mm F/4 lens
    Nice mwink.gifbowdown.gif
    Now what we need is someone in Joisey to tell me if this outfit is a good one mwink.gif
    Gary