First time with a model and a proper studio

Mark1616Mark1616 Registered Users Posts: 319 Major grins
edited November 5, 2011 in People
OK, to start with, please be nice, this put me totally out of my comfort zone and I know I didn't do nearly as well as I could have...... man weddings are easy wink.gif

I went to a local studio a couple of weeks ago with some guys off of another forum I hang out on and had a play with some different things.

I'm really keen to get feedback, not just that someone doesn't like something, but what I need to do if I ever venture back to shoot this sort of thing again.

Thanks for taking time to help me out smile.gif

Studio-Shoot-0001.jpg

Studio-Shoot-0002.jpg

Studio-Shoot-0003.jpg

Studio-Shoot-0004.jpg

Studio-Shoot-0005.jpg

Studio-Shoot-0006.jpg

Studio-Shoot-0007.jpg

Studio-Shoot-0008.jpg

I'm here to learn so please feel free to give me constructive criticism to help me become the photographer I desire to be.

Comments

• zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2011
    Take out 5 and this series is a home run.
    Good shots of interesting subjects. Lighting looks fine to me.
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2011
    For the first time in a studio you did a pretty good job. There are things to correct but hey, it was the first time plus the pressure of that and everybody staring at ya.
  • Mark1616Mark1616 Registered Users Posts: 319 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2011
    Thanks a lot both of you for taking the time to comment.

Charles, if you get a few moments and can shed some light (pardon the pun) on what I should work on if there is a next time that would be great :)

I'm here to learn so please feel free to give me constructive criticism to help me become the photographer I desire to be.

• HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2011
    Any of the following is simply an opinion so take that for what it is worth and run with it.

I was taught to light ladies with the light coming in over their shoulder. This accents the bust line and is considered feminine lighting as in 1-4-5-7. When you turn the head into the light this also creates a short light which slims the face by creating shadow on the far side. Compare 3 with 4. To me the face seems sculpted more.

Butterfly lighting or modified butterfly....this takes a thin face to pull it off the best.....if not it makes the face more broad which ladies don't like. On 2 you've made the face broader but also did so by showing the broad side of the face. In 6 you pulled it off very well except for the wild hair. In 7 the wild hair goes with the cool pose.

Harsh shadows help to create mood and depth. In #1 your clothing breaks the mood. In a low key photo you need to wear low key clothing. Conversely hight key should have bright clothing. The white just competes way too much with her face. Plus not sure what those three fingers are doing.

These are just little nits that judges would pick on. Your body of work here is way above average so congrats on most of your posing, lighting and moods.
  • Mark1616Mark1616 Registered Users Posts: 319 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2011
    Thanks a lot Charles, that's exactly what I needed :)