First time Football attempt C&C request

adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
edited November 3, 2011 in Sports
Edit 11/3 @ 2pm EDT: I bumped the gallery exposure down 2/3 and bumped the WB up 500K. This reloaded the gallery so you may be seeing the modify pix based on the advice by Chuck, Andy and Jack. Image 2 was deleted due to universal agreement that it was horrid...

Okay, not sure if this made it easier or harder, but this was small indpendent school co-ed flag football (at least no need to get light under the helmets). Field is 1/4 of the normal fields (1/2 as long and 1/2 as wide). What became really obvious very quickly was how little play time there is. This is all the harder with two 20-minute halves and very little clock stoppage (only for time-out). After coming off the soccer season, I felt like I had very few clicks.

1. Shot too high and lost his foot.
i-5B4xfcV-XL.jpg

2. Too tight? Mostly out of necessity, this was right in front of me at 70mm on a DX...
Removed to protect my reputation.....

3-7. I sent the parents this as a 4-frame image... Amazing concentration and catch...
i-N6xcMMJ-XL.jpg
i-MNh6zhv-XL.jpg
i-qh4BXZJ-XL.jpg
i-3CJhXcS-XL.jpg

8. From that same catch, just not workable in 4x6 aspect
i-r2S4T2P-XL.jpg

9. Picked this one...
i-DGSf8md-XL.jpg

10. Ready for the Heisman...
i-WnKT5vS-XL.jpg
- Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
My SmugMug Site

Comments

• PhotosbychuckPhotosbychuck Registered Users Posts: 1,239 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2011
    Nice series clap.gif

1) Nice photo just a tad over exposed.
    2) Bad angle
    3-6) good photos just a tad over exposed.
    8) Good photo just a tad over exposed.
    9) Love it my favorite
    10) Good photo just a tad over exposed.

Chuck Cassidy,
    www.icurdigital.com
    D300S, 18-200mm VR, 70-300mm VR

Aperture Focus Photography
    http://aperturefocus.com
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2011
    Thanks. Overexposed is easy to fix...
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
  • GringriffGringriff Registered Users Posts: 340 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2011
    Nice series - I agree with Chuck on the exposure being a little bright. Colors look good but maybe number 3 is just a little cool. Maybe warm it up just slightly and see how it looks??
    Andy
    http://andygriffinphoto.com/
    http://andygriffin.smugmug.com/
    Canon 7D, 70-200mm L, 50 and 85 primes, Tamron 17-50, 28-135
  • jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2011
    Most of these are overexposed IMO, some slightly, some significantly. You're using manual exposure which is good to prevent the background from confusing the camera, but I like to set my exposure giving priority to the faces. Your faces all look hot to me.

I agree shooting sports is tough at younger ages because there aren't many magazine cover moments due to the level of play and skill. Soccer definitely has more.

I like to shoot at f/2.8 always for maximum bg blur. I see you are at f/3.5. I think thin DOF is one big thing that jumps out at parents as being different than shots they take, so you may as well use all of your f/2.8 lens. Otherwise you could have saved a lot of money and bought a 70-200 f/4. (well, you couldn't have because you shoot that second-tier brand, hehe ;-) I kid, I kid)

3-7 are really 3-6, but I will go by your labels...

1, nice shot, overexposed.

2, bad face, overexposed, delete.

3-7, I had to look at this several times to see what was going on - he's running backwards, yes? Nice set.

8, Nice capture.

9, nice shot, a little tight, I wish his elbow wasn't cut off

10, this is a magazine cover! thumb.gif This kid feels like a superstar now thanks to you.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
    edited November 3, 2011
    Andy and Jack,

Thanks, I've knocked things down 2/3.
    One #3, I think the coolness comes from the huge shadow his arm is casting across his face. Image temperature is the same, but it is on the cool side of sunny. I've actually rebalanced the lot of them for color. (up about 500). I have reloaded the gallery. I'd appreciate your feedback if you think the brightness is better.

Point taken on the 3.5 vs. 2.8. I started out at 2.8 but I think on the early shots I wasn't getting the images I wanted (probably more to do with user errors) and so I gave myself more margin. I plan to try an camp out at 2.8 today.

#2 has been duly deleted....
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
    edited November 3, 2011
    I think this is a step in the right direction, but I think a few could come down even more. Especially 10, his face is still white hot on my iMac, and that is such a great shot. I cleared my browser cache and reloaded the page so I'm looking at your new versions.

Here's a couple of examples of how I try to expose for the face in blazing sun:

IMG_7321.JPG

IMG_7306.JPG
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
    edited November 3, 2011
    Something evil is happening at smugmug, I think. I cleared my cache as well, and I'm getting the old image as well.
    Not sure if linking the smaller version will force the load here, but this is what I really have. Is this what you see and think should come down more?

i-WnKT5vS-L.jpg

Looking at it again, I see where it could come down further. I think I didn't step away from the image long enough when I edited and it just seemed so much darker that I called it quits on it w/o being objective enough.
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
    edited November 3, 2011
    This ^^^ looks much better than the one in the original post. Smugmug takes some time to fully replace all images. Or maybe we should clear cache AND cookies. headscratch.gif

I have to remind myself when editing to try to create a pleasing photograph, not just an accurate reproduction of what I saw at the time. What you see under harsh sun and what you want to see in a photo are often two different things.
    -Jack

edited November 3, 2011
    Not sure what is going on. I had a problem a couple of weeks ago when I had images in two galleries, though loaded independently (with different watermarking) via LR3. One gallery would alias to the other for an extended period of time. It was very weird. I ended up clobbering one of the galleries...

Thanks for the additional feedback...
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
  • GringriffGringriff Registered Users Posts: 340 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2011
    Andrew,
    I like the revised one much better. Good Job. I know what you mean about the editing. I now try to wait a day or two after editing to review again before releasing.
    Andy
    http://andygriffinphoto.com/
    http://andygriffin.smugmug.com/
    Canon 7D, 70-200mm L, 50 and 85 primes, Tamron 17-50, 28-135
    edited November 3, 2011
    Do you think this works as a gritty edit. Not good for publication but more for the athlete...
    i-v6L53Tn-XL.jpg

Partly masked two iterations of Nik Tonal Contrast (let very little hit his face, and kept most of it off the kid in the back...)

Thanks to all of you for your help and guidance...
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
    edited November 3, 2011
    I like it, it pops.

Edit... if you got that at full res, that is, not much cropping, this would make a sick wall cling.
    -Jack

edited November 3, 2011
    I like it, it pops.

Edit... if you got that at full res, that is, not much cropping, this would make a sick wall cling.

Some cropping (2700x1800 ish)
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
    edited November 3, 2011
    maybe not enough, but look into it.
    -Jack