A couple SP projects...

heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
edited November 10, 2011 in People
I made this photo a while ago for a project and I don't think I ever shared it. It is part of a series. Shooting into a mirror is way harder than You would think it is. I thought it was pretty interesting that even though I shot it at 5.6 & focused on the mirror glass, the mirror frame was not in focus. But the back wall IS in focus. It is almost as though the focal distance is doubled based on the distance of the subject to the mirror and then back to the lens, rather than just the distance between the lens and the plane of the mirror. Anyway, I thought it was interesting, since I have never researched the science behind shooting reflections. This is hand held, and finger triggered.

SP-3404-Edit-XL.jpg

2. And this was last week. I needed to try out a new battery that I just gotten in the mail and had no available models at the moment.
Armstrong-001-XL.jpg

Comments

• QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2011
    hot momma!
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2011
    Totally gorgeous!!! And that mirror frame/wall focus is very interesting.
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • aj986saj986s Registered Users Posts: 1,100 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2011
    Both are well done photos!

From my Science Class days, I do recall that with mirrors you are indeed looking at light that's reflected in the mirror, and consequently the total distance of the "light" would be from the camera to the mirror + distance to the object in the reflection. Not unlike when using a bounce flash, the total distance measurement of the flash's output would be from the flash to the reflected surface, to the subject, and back to the camera. IIRC, in order to get both the frame & mirror reflection in focus, they would both need to be within the depth of field. Or else you could also shoot 2 pics, with different focus points, and combine in PS.
    Tony P.
    Canon 50D, 30D and Digital Rebel (plus some old friends - FTB and AE1)
    Long-time amateur.....wishing for more time to play
    Autocross and Track junkie
    tonyp.smugmug.com
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2011
    I really like you setup for the first one, and it has a great feel to it.
    I love the second one. thumb.gif
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • BilsenBilsen Registered Users Posts: 2,143 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2011
    GEEZ somebody is a seriously pretty photographer. You sure you're on the correct side of the camera??

BTW, like them both and love the mirror effect.
    Bilsen (the artist formerly known as John Galt NY)
    Canon 600D; Canon 1D Mk2;
    24-105 f4L IS; 70-200 f4L IS; 50mm 1.4; 28-75 f2.8; 55-250 IS; 580EX & (2) 430EX Flash,
    Model Galleries: http://bilsen.zenfolio.com/
    Everything Else: www.pbase.com/bilsen
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2011
    First shot is very nice...classy...really like the vintage feel to the processing. Really like her placement in the mirror.

Nice self portrait as well....kind of cheating when you have an available model with you at all times :).
  • VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2011
    awwww I love it when the people you love look lovable too!! Thanks for sharing images that keep you current in our minds !
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2011
    VayCayMom wrote: »
    awwww I love it when the people you love look lovable too!! Thanks for sharing images that keep you current in our minds !

You are too sweet! iloveyou.gif

Thanks everyone! I had fun shooting the first, even though it took some doing to shoot myself with ocf, no trigger while getting the focus. This was actually an out take that ended up being one of my favorites.
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2011
    The focus phenominon in the first is really odd by my reckoning as well. You are focused on the mirror. Not the image that is reflected on it which would have added several feet to the focus slice. I really would have expected the wall to be out of focus and the frame to be sharp.ne_nau.gif

Any way to set it up again just to test focus. This time grab focus on the edge of the frame. Then switch the auto focus to manual and leave it locked there? Just for kicks?

As for the content.....

1- I really REALLY like the shot! I think it is a better camera angle than the second shot AND....it aint an ordinary everyday SP. The creativity here ups the ante.thumb.gif

2-The side lighting is moody, you look relaxed and completely comfortable. It appears as though you REALLY trust your photographer. Then again if ya cant trust her, who can you trust? It's a very good SP on it's own. Nothing wrong here, but IMO when displayed next to #1....well....it just aint #1.:D

Despite the long winters they sure grow 'em pretty up there don't they?eek7.gif
    edited November 4, 2011
    look at this shot

893158557_Zu7Vf-L.jpg

the frame is OOF as well. The mirror is simply reflecting light and does not act as a plane of focus. So the subject distance from mirror PLUS the camera distance to mirror is THE focal distance. Heathers shot is a bit more interesting as the wall is within the DOF of the focus distance with aperture. The strange thing when you think about it is is that Heather is way closer to the camera then the wall so it it almost appears that there are 2 planes of focus..heather and the wall..but it is only one plane really.
    D700, D600
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    edited November 4, 2011
    OK...we need Ziggy or Pathfinder to get us all back on the same plane!rolleyes1.gif
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited November 4, 2011
    Like Aj and Qarik said, the camera did NOT focus on the surface of the mirror, or it's frame, but on the plane of the image reflected in the mirror. That reflected image is as far behind the surface of the mirror ( optically speaking ) as she was in front of mirror surface. I would suspect the mirror was about as far from the wall, as she was from the mirror surface.

When one focuses on a reflection of a light at infinity, say a star, one has to focus at infinity, not on the reflecting surface which may be very close to the camera lens. Autofocus will easily do this if the reflection is crisp, contrasty, and bright like in the first image.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
    edited November 4, 2011
    jeffreaux2 wrote: »

Any way to set it up again just to test focus. This time grab focus on the edge of the frame. Then switch the auto focus to manual and leave it locked there? Just for kicks?

Got it! Getting the focus right with a camera balanced on top your head is trrricky! :D
    SP-001-L.jpg

This is the final image I selected for the project. I was attempting to do a SP that had a story, and in this case the story was the simple process of putting on ear rings. Not sure I am a fan of the distortion of the earrings, but it still works:
    SP-002-XL.jpg
    edited November 4, 2011
    Heather I am not digging this new shot. after studying the image it is your facial expression that is bugging me. It's just kinda off..as if you have a camera balanced on top of your head or something.
    D700, D600
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    edited November 4, 2011
    Qarik wrote: »
    .as if you have a camera balanced on top of your head or something.

Hahaha!rolleyes1.gif
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2011
    So, did you rig up some sort of "quick release" to the top of your noggin? No matter how you did it, I like the shot...gives it elegance and proves there is beauty in Alaska.....Laughing.gif
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
    edited November 5, 2011
    Swartzy wrote: »
    So, did you rig up some sort of "quick release" to the top of your noggin? No matter how you did it, I like the shot...gives it elegance and proves there is beauty in Alaska.....Laughing.gif

She's gonna say it nestled snugly in her halo!.....rolleyes1.gif
    edited November 5, 2011
    I had one arm up there holding the cam. It was tricky, I say.
  • aj986saj986s Registered Users Posts: 1,100 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2011
    FWIW, you can also try positioning the camera so that you and the camera are at the same angle relative to the glass. You can use a dummy object to set up the focus where your face will end up. That way you can put the camera on a tripod, and be free to adjust your head & expression without worry about dropping the camera.

Something like this.
    .....You
    .../
    |/
    |\
    ...\
    .....Camera
    Tony P.
    Canon 50D, 30D and Digital Rebel (plus some old friends - FTB and AE1)
    Long-time amateur.....wishing for more time to play
    Autocross and Track junkie
    tonyp.smugmug.com