Options

Before the 2nd Raid, Oakland Nov 2nd, 2011

richardmanrichardman Registered Users Posts: 376 Major grins
edited November 8, 2011 in Street and Documentary
More photos here:
http://www.richardmanphoto.com/blog/?p=3058

Between 4000 to 5000 marched in Oakland. There were 3-4 violent acts committed against a couple banks and Whole Foods with broken windows, but apparently the majority of the protesters stopped further violent acts. I got some photos on the Hasselblad XPan film so they won’t be ready for awhile (especially since my Nikon LS-9000 scanner is still not working, despite a trip to the Nikon Repairicon_sad.gif). Here are some photos. The police action was related to a couple protesters got run over by a driver who was impatient with the roadblock. Apparently the police let the driver go because it was “an accident” and the protesters weren’t happen with that.

We left at around 10:30PM and the area was practically festive. Then the police moved in again, I believe in order to remove the protesters from the street. One protester was shot by rubber bullet but no other injury as for now. The UStream live streaming was enlightening. When the police moved in, the broadcaster yelled “Do not throw things. We must remain non-violent.” At 3:30AM, they decided they are moving off the street and ending the protest peacefully and moving back to the Frank Ogawa Plaza.

20111102-L1007773.jpg

20111102-L1007782.jpg

20111102-L1007796.jpg

20111102-L1007802.jpg

20111102-L1007806.jpg
"Some People Drive, We Are Driven"
// richard <http://www.richardmanphoto.com&gt;
richardmanphoto on Facebook and Instagram

Comments

• Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2011
    Excellent set and commentary Richard.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    richardmanrichardman Registered Users Posts: 376 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2011
    The first one is really special. She is a senior citizen living a few blocks off the Frank Ogawa Plaza and she said she came down for the last few days to see what's going on for herself. I was chatting with her and I asked if I may take her photos. She then said "oh I never look good on photos," and I said, "no, you are beautiful. Let me show you." I took out my digital camera (I was shooting film then) and shot a couple photos and showed her, and she was pleased.
    "Some People Drive, We Are Driven"
    // richard <http://www.richardmanphoto.com&gt;
    richardmanphoto on Facebook and Instagram
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,929 moderator
    edited November 4, 2011
    richardman wrote: »
    The first one is really special. She is a senior citizen living a few blocks off the Frank Ogawa Plaza and she said she came down for the last few days to see what's going on for herself. I was chatting with her and I asked if I may take her photos. She then said "oh I never look good on photos," and I said, "no, you are beautiful. Let me show you." I took out my digital camera (I was shooting film then) and shot a couple photos and showed her, and she was pleased.
    Beautiful, indeed. It's a lovely shot. The slight motion blur in #2 gives you the feeling that something's about to happen. Good work, Richard. thumb.gif
  • Options
    RSLRSL Registered Users Posts: 839 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2011
    #1 is fine work, Richard. Just the atmospherics around this beautiful elderly woman make it a worthwhile street shot. Wish you could have gotten a more complete capture of her hands, but even as it is the hands make a huge contribution to the feeling that's in the picture. Bravo!
  • Options
    IslandcrowIslandcrow Registered Users Posts: 106 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2011
    Wow, I really like these, although I would have liked to see a little more of the lady in the first photograph. It looks like there's something interesting going on with her hands, but you can't quite see it. The third photo, although it looks like you missed your focus point slightly, I especially like. Your commentary I especially like, as it's a very good example of the PJ aspect. You're not taking a political side or expressing your personal opinion. You're giving a good background and stating what happened. There are probably quite a few professional journalists who could take a lesson there.