Hits question

pecheneypecheney Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
edited July 22, 2004 in SmugMug Support
I am confused about my hits and need to know for business reasons.

Let's say for example, my Total for All Galleries was:

Hits: 288488 C. Ratio: ~20% Bytes: 2.61 GB
Does that mean 20% of 288,000 hits are unique visitors? 56k?

What dooes SmugMug estimate the amount of folks using the "Share with Friends" button to be? In other words, I can track how many visitors come to my persoanl site, but it seems to great differ from the SmugMug stats reports. I am assuming that I need to count how many photos per gallery, then see how many hits, and THEN multiply times conversion ratio?

ANy help our clarity on hits reports and how to decipher them is GREATLY appreciated? If anybody out there has any comments on their website's hits versus their smugmug hits, I would enjoy hearing your thoughts out of curiosity.

Exactly how many unique vistors hitting exactly how many non thumbnail views is the number I am looking for.

Thanks in advance!:dunno

Comments

• BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited July 22, 2004
    You really got us on this one. I checked the stats page and there was no explanation, and none on the help page... I'll get that fixed quickly. Also, many people miss the fact that you can click on a graph to see details on a photo-by-photo basis. I'll add something about that too.

The conversion ratio is simply the number of small/medium/large/original hits divided by the number of thumbnail (both sizes) hits.

The higher the number, the more people are seeing larger-than-thumbnail versions of your images.

Unfortunately, it really doesn't indicate how many visitors you've had. You'd need a counter in your footer or whatever for that.

The reason the thumbnail hits are so high is (a) there are two sizes of them, (b) when you do something like bulk caption, you generate a hit for every large thumbnail in a gallery, and (c) the most popular gallery styles by far are Elegant and Elegant Small, and every time someone hits an Elegant page they either generate 15 or 9 thumbnail hits.

Clear as mud?

Thanks!
    Baldy
  • MainFraggerMainFragger Registered Users Posts: 563 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2004
    Hits count tracking
    Baldy wrote:
    You really got us on this one. I checked the stats page and there was no explanation, and none on the help page... I'll get that fixed quickly. Also, many people miss the fact that you can click on a graph to see details on a photo-by-photo basis. I'll add something about that too.

The conversion ratio is simply the number of small/medium/large/original hits divided by the number of thumbnail (both sizes) hits.

The higher the number, the more people are seeing larger-than-thumbnail versions of your images.

Unfortunately, it really doesn't indicate how many visitors you've had. You'd need a counter in your footer or whatever for that.

The reason the thumbnail hits are so high is (a) there are two sizes of them, (b) when you do something like bulk caption, you generate a hit for every large thumbnail in a gallery, and (c) the most popular gallery styles by far are Elegant and Elegant Small, and every time someone hits an Elegant page they either generate 15 or 9 thumbnail hits.

Clear as mud?

Thanks!
    Baldy
    What would really help is a gallery count that is broken down by first time and return viewers.

For example.

First time visitors to site: 100
    return visitors to site 230

and then in each album

first time visitors clicking on this image: #
    return visitor visitors clicking on this image: #

and next to each image

first time clicked: #
    # :Users have clicked this image more than once.

Thats just my two cents.

Did you hear about the skunk that had two odor glands?
    Everywhere he goes, he tries to put in his two scents...

MainFragger