Nikon D700 custom settings

Z06NutZ06Nut Registered Users Posts: 84 Big grins
edited November 7, 2011 in Cameras
Hello fellow Smuggers,

I recently purchased a D700. I found settings that another photographer uses on line. He posted a nice step by step video to set it up. He also assigned the FN button to get his settings quickly.
I've set up the "A, B, C and D." settings but have issues assigning it to the "My menu." I know I'm skipping a step somewhere. I set up the fn button to "My menu" and to show the A-D settings. But the A-D settings do not not reflect my custom settings.
I've shot with these settings and I'm pleased with them I just want to get to it easier with the FN button.

I'm not trying to be lazy, just wanting to learn how other people have there cameras set up, when I ask to see your custom settings. Would you mind sending me your custom settings?
I'll send you mine so you can see how I have mine set-up.

Thanks in advance,
Tony G

Comments

• Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2011
    The tricky part is, there's two different types of Custom Menus. There's a shooting menu, and a settings menu. I put shortcuts to both of these in the "my menu" menu, they are the top two items.

Under the shooting menu bank, I've categorized things into:

* Daylight (RAW)
    * Low Light (RAW)
    * Autmatic (JPG)
    * Landscapes (RAW)

Under the settings menu bank, I've categorized:

* Casual (mostly automatic)
    * Action
    * Weddings / Stealth (turns off all the lights and beeps, and set the FN button to "no flash" so that I can hold it down to shoot an ambient photo any time even with a flash attached.
    * Macro / Landscape (uses things like mirror delay, time lapse recording, etc.)

The rest of the "My Menu" is set to:

* Shooting menu bank
    * Custom settings bank
    * Picture control
    * White balance
    * Active D-Lighting
    * Auto-ISO
    * Pop-up commander flash
    * AF activation (for stopping the shutter from performing AF, and only using the AF-ON button)
    * Image area (FX / DX)
    * Multi-controller center button (I set it to 1-click zooming during image review, at medium magnification. SO HELPFUL!!)
    * Interval time shooting (time lapse)
    * Exposure delay mode
    * Image review
    * Battery info
    * AF fine tuning
    * Virtual Horizon

And, that's all!

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Z06NutZ06Nut Registered Users Posts: 84 Big grins
    edited November 3, 2011
    The tricky part is, there's two different types of Custom Menus. There's a shooting menu, and a settings menu. I put shortcuts to both of these in the "my menu" menu, they are the top two items.

Under the shooting menu bank, I've categorized things into:

* Daylight (RAW)
    * Low Light (RAW)
    * Autmatic (JPG)
    * Landscapes (RAW)

Under the settings menu bank, I've categorized:

* Casual (mostly automatic)
    * Action
    * Weddings / Stealth (turns off all the lights and beeps, and set the FN button to "no flash" so that I can hold it down to shoot an ambient photo any time even with a flash attached.
    * Macro / Landscape (uses things like mirror delay, time lapse recording, etc.)

The rest of the "My Menu" is set to:

* Shooting menu bank
    * Custom settings bank
    * Picture control
    * White balance
    * Active D-Lighting
    * Auto-ISO
    * Pop-up commander flash
    * AF activation (for stopping the shutter from performing AF, and only using the AF-ON button)
    * Image area (FX / DX)
    * Multi-controller center button (I set it to 1-click zooming during image review, at medium magnification. SO HELPFUL!!)
    * Interval time shooting (time lapse)
    * Exposure delay mode
    * Image review
    * Battery info
    * AF fine tuning
    * Virtual Horizon

And, that's all!

=Matt=

Thanks Matt that explains it. thumb.gif
    edited November 5, 2011
    Weddings / Stealth (turns off all the lights and beeps, and set the FN button to "no flash" so that I can hold it down to shoot an ambient photo any time even with a flash attached.

This is an awesome idea. bowdown.gif
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2011
    Z06Nut wrote: »
    This is an awesome idea. bowdown.gif

You can also "overclock" your camera to shoot at 8 FPS without the battery grip, BTW, by assigning the FN button to "bracketing burst" and then setting bracketing to be "flash only". Then, all you gotta do is shoot WITHOUT flash, throw the camera in Single-servo shooting mode, crank the bracketing to nine clicks, hold down the FN button, and blast away. (You have to set both options, the "FN button press" and the "FN button press plus dials" ...both to do bracketing)

I don't do this with my main camera, though, since it's probably not good for the shutter. I do this with my backup D300...

=Matt=
    edited November 6, 2011
    You can also "overclock" your camera to shoot at 8 FPS without the battery grip, BTW, by assigning the FN button to "bracketing burst" and then setting bracketing to be "flash only". Then, all you gotta do is shoot WITHOUT flash, throw the camera in Single-servo shooting mode, crank the bracketing to nine clicks, hold down the FN button, and blast away. (You have to set both options, the "FN button press" and the "FN button press plus dials" ...both to do bracketing)

I don't do this with my main camera, though, since it's probably not good for the shutter. I do this with my backup D300...

=Matt=

That's a really cool hack.

This would be cool just to show off to my Cannon buddies. Laughing.gif Then I could tell them it can shoot 16fps with the grip. rolleyes1.gif
    edited November 7, 2011
    ;
    Z06Nut wrote: »
    That's a really cool hack.

This would be cool just to show off to my Cannon buddies. Laughing.gif Then I could tell them it can shoot 16fps with the grip. rolleyes1.gif

Indeed. I use it to shoot 7-frame HDR's in less time than my 5D shooting buddies can click 3-frame HDR's. ;-) (We do HDR portraits as part of our style, so yes the frame rate matters. Check out http://linandjirsablog.com for some examples...)

=Matt=
    edited November 7, 2011
    Absolutely incredible HDR shots. bowdown.gif