Can you give me your honest opinions on these?

scotthofferphotographyscotthofferphotography Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
edited November 4, 2011 in People
New to this, let me know your honest thoughts.

28-XL.jpg

c18-XL.jpg

c23-XL.jpg

c4-XL.jpg

7-XL.jpg

IMG0919-XL.jpg

5-XL.jpg

1-2-XL.jpg

14-2-XL.jpg
check out some of my pics on my smug mug site.
http://www.scotthofferphotography.com

Comments

• scotthofferphotographyscotthofferphotography Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2011
    Anyone? so bad nobody will even comment? Im worried now.
  • jarboedoggartjarboedoggart Registered Users Posts: 270 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2011
    Anyone? so bad nobody will even comment? Im worried now.

OK, I will try...

1. good. I personally would de-saturate a bit/make it a bit "warmer" instead of just orange, but that is your own personal opinion.

2-4. Too much clarity/sharpening, pull that back.

5. Like it, but something happened in processing that makes his chin solid blue from his shirt.

6. Best one, maybe a pit of vignetting to focus more on his face/darken the bark. The look on his face is priceless

7-8. both have great potential but really needs some pop. contrast and make the backgrounds much brighter white. I would also crop them in closer.

9. Like it alot.
    -Nate
    Jarboe Doggart Photography - jarboedoggart.com
  • FoquesFoques Registered Users Posts: 1,951 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2011
    images are over processed, imho.

Some look like they were way overexposed, and you tried to recover them via raw adjustments... others look oversharpened/"HDR-pit-ish".. 2 and 3 from the end are soft.. but it seems that a lot of people find that acceptable.
    Arseny - the too honest guy.
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • idiotabroadidiotabroad Registered Users Posts: 246 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2011
    It looks like while editing you went from one extreme to another here. Play around a little, you will get it.
    Mark

If you don't agree with me then your wrong.
    I can't be held accountable for what I say, I'm bipolar.
  • scotthofferphotographyscotthofferphotography Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2011
    THanks for your comments everyone. All of the photos are HDR, thats the reasoning behind the "oversharpened"
    What do you suggest for clear photos?
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2011
    1 and 4 are ruined by the processing.
    HDR with people should be used only in rare occasions.
    2 5 6 and the last one work.
    7 and 8 are flat...need levels adjusted.
    If you get the light right and give the shots a levels adjusment that is usually all that is needed.

Overall there are some decent shots here, as others said dial back the processing, good shots stand on their own.
  • BrettDeutschBrettDeutsch Registered Users Posts: 365 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2011
    9 is my favorite. Love the way to color pop surrounds the little boy. I wish he didn't look cold, but it's still a lovely shot.
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2011
    Btw, it helps commentators if you number your shots so we can easily refer to them.
    What do you suggest for clear photos?

- Sharp lens
    - accurate focus (usually single-point focus put directly over where you want the main focal interest in the picture ie in portraits, usually over the leading eye)
    - stop down a little where possible - most lenses are not at their sharpest wide open
    - Good exposure

FWIW, 7/8 both look soft to me - not sure if you missed focus, or the lens just isn't as sharp as it could be.

These all look better to me on the (uncalibrated, not terribly good) high-contrast monitor I use at work. On my home monitor I'd agree they look overprocessed. I like #4 with these treatments the best - the busy foliage lends itself quite well to the "look", as does the conversion.
    edited November 4, 2011
    Thank you all for the comments. Picture 1 was made to look 60's style using smug mugs editing.