Options

First Engagement Session: Dan and Jess

mjordanphotomjordanphoto Registered Users Posts: 88 Big grins
edited November 16, 2011 in Weddings
I just finished editing my first engagement session, I thought I'd share some of the images here. These were taken at the Jefferson/FDR Memorials, and around the Tidal Basin. Enjoy!

JessDanEngagementWashingtonDC3-M.jpg

2. Gotta love when they think you aren't looking... :D I wish I had gotten their feet in the shot as well, but I just barely got this shot as is, I was walking away to frame the next shot...
JessDanEngagementWashingtonDC1-M.jpg

JessDanEngagementWashingtonDC2-M.jpg

6. JessDanEngagementWashingtonDC5-M.jpg

JessDanEngagementWashingtonDC6-M.jpg

Comments

• Options
    WeiselWeisel Registered Users Posts: 235 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2011
    Just a quick little 2cents. You have a lot of center compositions. Use the rule of thirds, and your images will already improve immediately. You can even crop some of these to non center comps. Instant improvement. LIke #4 and 5, I would crop and make them left third. You will lose the top of the waterfall thing, but that's fine.
    Canon 5D MK IV | 24-70 2.8L USM | 50mm F1.4 USM | 70-200mm F2.8L | AB 800 light | 430EXII speedlight (x2) | Lowel iLight | Cybersync remotes | bag of trail mix |
    My Weddings WebsiteBlog
  • Options
    edited November 4, 2011
    I appreciate the feedback - thanks! In general, I use the rule of thirds religiously, but for certain shots (especially #1), I find that a center composition works as well, if not better. Ironically, many of the images in the final set follow that rule, but it just so happens that some of my favorites from this set (thus, the ones I posted here) don't happen to do so. I guess I did myself a disservice here by not posting a better variety and selection of images from the set, obviously if all of them were centered composition, it would be a pretty boring set (just like, I believe, a set entirely composed of rule of 1/3s shots).

Again, I really appreciate the feedback - I'll definitely take a look at cropping #5 with them on the left side of the frame (I think I'm leaving #4, just because the whole images works better for me if they are centered in this specific case).
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2011
    But sometimes it is good to buck the rule of thirds. mwink.gif
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    smurfysmurfy Registered Users Posts: 343 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2011
    Not sure if you posted because you want feedback or not, but I'm gonna assume you do....If not , please forgive me.

What kind of stands out to me is that most of them are just the same profile images. They aren't bad for a first e session, but they are not exactly moving emotionally, either.
    I'd like to see more variety of expressions, emotions, and natural interactions, plus one or two "hi mom" (look at the photographer and be happy) photos.

The center comp on one works for me IF the crop wasn't at their knees. This would look much better if it included their whole bodies, which would have been easy in a profile orientation.

But six is my fave of the set, because of her expression. I think they both needed more direction on wardrobe, a few with her hair down, words from you to elicit some real emotion and memories that made them laugh or feel romantic, and posing/ styling direction to flatter them more. She's cute, but not looking as pretty as she could. And it looks like you did a good job with the harsh light, but it would have been much more flattering on the subjects to just shoot nearer to the magic hour.
  • Options
    edited November 4, 2011
    Thanks for the feedback - I really do appreciate it! Yes, I absolutely do need to provide more direction and try to elicit those natural moments (god, doesn't that sound weird... yet makes perfect sense...), I think my nerves really did get to me with this being my first one and all. Certainly something I'll be trying to improve on each time out.

Hmm... I see what you mean about the center crop and how it cuts off at their knees. I personally don't mind it in some pictures (It doesn't bother me at all in #4, but again, that's just me), but it seems I almost always got 3/4 of them in the frame - that's something to keep an eye on.

One thing I've noticed in the set, from all the feedback I've gotten, is that I just need more variety. In wardrobe, in poses, in emotions, in crops, in framing, etc., so that's definitely going to be the area where I look to improve the most. Do you have any suggestions on how to get better with that kind of stuff, specifically posing and eliciting more raw emotions? Resources you've uncovered that helped you grow?

I definitely posted these here because I wanted feedback - the clients are absolutely ecstatic with the images (which is great!), but I'm always looking to grow, and frankly, I don't think I'll ever been 100% happy with anything I produce... there's always something to do better next time, and the feedback I get will definitely help me improve.
  • Options
    nicoleshillidaynicoleshilliday Registered Users Posts: 549 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2011
    I live in the area and would rather shoot on a farm then at the monuments any day of the week! Did you get a permit, or did the park police not bother you... I have been kicked out 2 times now!

I really like number one. I think that if you straightened it a hair and cropped them a little higher you would have a killer shot. I love how you put them in the middle (not everything has obey the rules).

Like what others said, your composition could use a little work, but that comes with time. I still am working on it :)

one last thing. it looks like you were there in the mid point of the day. Try going first thing in the morning or late at night when the light isn't so harsh. :D
    Nicole
    D3, and other Nikon goodies
    Shilliday Photography
    Blog
    Facebook
  • Options
    Tom CTom C Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited November 9, 2011
    Great compostition in almost all of the pictures. The only gripe I have in that whole collection is the last picture. I think I see what you're going for but the leaves in the foreground end up being a little distracting and take away from what would have been a really good picture. . The candid shot of them boxing is great has a photojournalist quality to it. You seem well on your way. When is the wedding?
  • Options
    edited November 10, 2011
    I live in the area and would rather shoot on a farm then at the monuments any day of the week! Did you get a permit, or did the park police not bother you... I have been kicked out 2 times now!

I really like number one. I think that if you straightened it a hair and cropped them a little higher you would have a killer shot. I love how you put them in the middle (not everything has obey the rules).

Like what others said, your composition could use a little work, but that comes with time. I still am working on it :)

one last thing. it looks like you were there in the mid point of the day. Try going first thing in the morning or late at night when the light isn't so harsh. :D

Thanks! (sorry I didn't see your reply earlier!) - the park police were great actually. Had a slight issue at the FDR Memorial (waterfall shots) because of my tripod, but he gave me 5 minutes to shoot with it... and told me that monopods are always allowed, it's tripods that are the issue. Otherwise, I didn't have a single encounter.

I appreciate your thoughts on #1 - I'm definitely going to mess around with it a bit and see if it looks better that way! We actually started our shoot at around 9 (I was shooting for 8, but they weren't having it... they wanted 11!), so after 2 hours of shooting, the light did start getting a little harsh. My bigger issue was not providing enough direction to get them in places where the light wouldn't be as distracting, or could be diffused through something. Live and learn!

And... while I still have a lot to learn (that's why I'm posting here for the C&C!), they were ecstatic - just placed an order for a ton of prints online, and they're giving them to their parents for the holidays (and they think their parents are going to want to buy more as well).

Tom - Thanks! Their wedding is actually in June back in Ohio, where they are both from... so that's why they went with me to do their engagement session! I appreciate your feedback on the last one - I have a few images in the gallery where the leaves aren't there as well - here's one:

JessDanEngagementWashingtonDC6-M.jpg
  • Options
    FoquesFoques Registered Users Posts: 1,951 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2011
    #2 made me giggle..
    first thought that went through my head was "he's about to get his ass kicked"
    Arseny - the too honest guy.
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • Options
    edited November 11, 2011
    Foques wrote: »
    #2 made me giggle..
    first thought that went through my head was "he's about to get his ass kicked"

rolleyes1.gif exactly what I thought when I turned around and saw them.
  • Options
    FedererPhotoFedererPhoto Registered Users Posts: 312 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2011
    smurfy wrote: »
    The center comp on one works for me IF the crop wasn't at their knees.

Agreed. As a general rule (just like the rule of thirds... but probably even more important, imho) you should never crop someone at a joint. elbow, ankle, knee, neck ... don't do it. It almost NEVER works out. (and oddly enough, is routinely the type of shot that you don't like but can't decide why).
    I think they both needed more direction on wardrobe

I appreciate that many try to determine the wardrobe... but I'm not sure how important it really is. I just tell my clients "don't wear matching white... and don't wear some super-powerful pattern". Beyond that, you want them to be as much 'themselves' as possible.
    Minneapolis Minnesota Wedding Photographer - Check out my Personal Photography site and Professional Photography Blog
    Here is a wedding website I created for a customer as a value-add. Comments appreciated.
    Founding member of The Professional Photography Forum as well.
  • Options
    FedererPhotoFedererPhoto Registered Users Posts: 312 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2011
    Do you have any suggestions on how to get better with that kind of stuff, specifically posing and eliciting more raw emotions? Resources you've uncovered that helped you grow?

Resources? Workshops are the quickest way, by far. Find someone you respect and approach them and see if you can tag along or pay them to be your mentor. Forums (this one and TPPF (check my sig) are great free ones -- TPPF being more 'business of photgraphy' oriented. DWF is wonderful but costs money. Avoid dpreview and other tech-based sites... that's where you learn to shoot resolution charts, not where you learn to work with clients) are a great resource that can be immensely helpful -- inspiration, advice, etc.

A direct tip, however is this: you have to know your camera and equipment and have the image pre-visualized so well that you can talk on a different subject while shooting. For instance, you want something where they are just laughing with a lot of negative space... you are talking with them on a subject the whole time... getting them into a situation where the light is right and the background will be what you need, then as you step back you steer the conversation into something that will make them smile or laugh. Maybe ask about their dog, etc. But you have to be able to do it while the camera is up and ready -- so you catch that exact moment when their eyes light up thinking about their little doggie waiting back home for them.
    Ya know? It's all about connecting with them as people and then photographing while you are forging that connection.

Also, NEVER say something isn't working. Simply suggest a "Oh man, this will be killer, we have to try this over here..." rather than going "this isnt' working... lets go elsewhere". You need to instill 100% confidence of them in you... any hint things aren't going well destroys that confidence and causes them to 'clam up' rather than 'open up'.
    there's always something to do better next time, and the feedback I get will definitely help me improve.

That's exactly the right attitude! clap.gif I wish you nothing but the best...
    Minneapolis Minnesota Wedding Photographer - Check out my Personal Photography site and Professional Photography Blog
    Here is a wedding website I created for a customer as a value-add. Comments appreciated.
    Founding member of The Professional Photography Forum as well.
  • Options
    redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2011
    I won't offer any advice b/c I rarely include people in my shots. But I did want to say that I think some of the shots in the full gallery from this session are very nice. For the most part, the shots that do include the full person are more appealing to me. I really like the ones of the couple walking along the river with the Jefferson in the background. I also like the one of them sitting on the bench--it's a nice silhouette, though I do wish they were looking at something other than office buildings. :D
    Best of luck!

Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com