Options

Tell your story in photos, not words...

rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
edited November 5, 2011 in Street and Documentary
This forum has taken a turn away from photography and into editorial (and personal) commentary. So I challenge each of you to tell your story in photos.

I am fortunate enough to be in charge of the current DGrin Mini-Challenge #131, "Story Time": http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=209001

If you have been questioning the use of titles, what other members photos mean, what PJ/Street photography is or is not, or just wanting to get back to photography, I invite you to participate in this challenge. It is tailor made for those interested in the street genre and will allow you to put your photo where your mouth is...:argue :photo

Comments

• Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2011
    Yep I'm in, good Mini.

But................ did ya have to announce it, like I really need the competition rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2011
    rainbow wrote: »
    This forum has taken a turn away from photography and into editorial (and personal) commentary. So I challenge each of you to tell your story in photos.

I am fortunate enough to be in charge of the current DGrin Mini-Challenge #131, "Story Time": http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=209001

If you have been questioning the use of titles, what other members photos mean, what PJ/Street photography is or is not, or just wanting to get back to photography, I invite you to participate in this challenge. It is tailor made for those interested in the street genre and will allow you to put your photo where your mouth is...:argue :photo

Excellent, Rainbow!
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,929 moderator
    edited November 4, 2011
    bdcolen wrote: »
    Excellent, Rainbow!
    15524779-Ti.gif

I'd even be tempted to turn this into an exercise for those of you who have demonstrations going on where you live. The assignment would be to present two sets of photos taken at the same demonstration. One set would present the demonstrators in a favorable light, the other unfavorable. No captions or other text allowed. The point of the exercise is to show how one can introduce bias through images alone, simply by being careful in what you choose to capture and present.

Any takers? ear.gif
  • Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2011
    Richard wrote: »
    15524779-Ti.gif

I'd even be tempted to turn this into an exercise for those of you who have demonstrations going on where you live. The assignment would be to present two sets of photos taken at the same demonstration. One set would present the demonstrators in a favorable light, the other unfavorable. No captions or other text allowed. The point of the exercise is to show how one can introduce bias through images alone, simply by being careful in what you choose to capture and present.

Any takers? ear.gif

My Films locked and loaded but I have been trying to do that and will cont.
  • Options
    richardmanrichardman Registered Users Posts: 376 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2011
    Just for the record, I'm not sure how my observation that stronger photos are made of "no caption" or "no biased captioning" turns into "no bias." Every time we click the shutter, we show our bias.
    15524779-Ti.gif

Any takers? ear.gif
    "Some People Drive, We Are Driven"
    // richard <http://www.richardmanphoto.com&gt;
    richardmanphoto on Facebook and Instagram
  • Options
    toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2011
    Hmmmm.... the voice of wisdom.
    Rags
  • Options
    lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2011

Thanks Rainbow bowdown.gif
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2011
    15524779-Ti.gif

Any takers? ear.gif

I think this is a great idea.

Sam
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2011

Perhaps I am missing something here. Is this a 'street photography" thread with strict rules regarding photos and text? Or am I not understanding the meaning of "PJ" Is there not room for both approaches?

If the former please change the name to "street photography" and clearly state the rules.

Sam
  • Options
    rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2011
    Sam wrote: »
    Perhaps I am missing something here. Is this a 'street photography" thread with strict rules regarding photos and text? Or am I not understanding the meaning of "PJ" Is there not room for both approaches?

If the former please change the name to "street photography" and clearly state the rules.

Sam

This is not a "Street Photography" thread or even in this forum. I am inviting participants in this forum to participate in this ongoing Mini Challenge/photo contest that is part of DGrin. No strict rules, though the contest parameter is for the photo to do the talking or have the story embedded in the image. I am the sole judge in this challenge, and the winner will take the reins for the Mini Challenge #132. If you click on the link to bring you to the challenge, you will see a link to the description and rules for the Mini Challenges.