CH 50- Any thoughts?

MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
edited October 23, 2005 in The Dgrin Challenges
No fall foliage down here. Have to make due with local flowers.
Any thoughts on these?

41056308-L.jpg

41075118-L.jpg

Comments

• SnapHappySnapHappy Registered Users Posts: 328 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2005
    Great colours against the black background, prefer the 2nd shot for pure colour & composition but both very nice.
  • GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2005
    While the first one is a nice shot, I think the colors are stronger in the second. The composition in the second works as well.
  • wingerwinger Registered Users Posts: 694 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2005
    I think the photos are absolutly fantastic, but I dont know if they screem natures colors.

Then again is been proven that I dont know everything and its hard to know what the judges will think.

How did you do the lighting for those? And what were you camera settings?
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2005
    Hi Mitch,

Well, it seems to me that flowers are prime examples of nature's colors at their most beautiful. I love both shots, with a slight preference for the first for its overall composition. My batting average in matching my choices against those of the judges in the challenge is only about 50-50, though, so just take my comment as a compliment from someone who enjoys your photography. Good luck in the challenge.

Email
  • davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2005
    For my 2 cents, I'd go with the second pic. More color, less negative space.
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • Nee7x7Nee7x7 Registered Users Posts: 459 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2005
    Hmmmm....
    I think both are really lovely photos, but for the challenge, the 2nd one is more in tune with the theme, since the vase can't be seen (plus, I just like it better...great comp). I have the same problem...no Fall color where we live either in Central CA...just a lot of dead dry grasslands on the foothills. We are going up to Sequoia NP today, so maybe I'll find something a little more colorful than the entry I've posted...(sigh). Best of luck in the challenge to you~

~Nee :)
    http://nee.smugmug.com[/COLOR]
    http://www.pbase.com/rdavis

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all the evidence that you tried~
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2005
    winger wrote:
    I think the photos are absolutly fantastic, but I dont know if they screem natures colors.

Then again is been proven that I dont know everything and its hard to know what the judges will think.

How did you do the lighting for those? And what were you camera settings?
    Thank you all for the comments.

Winger, this pic was taken with a single 60W lightbulb in a dark room. I just set the vase against a black velvet cloth I use for these pics. The second shot is actually just a tight crop from the first. The detail and dynamic range from my camera still amazes me on these tight crops. This shot is out of the camera with only some levels. No sharpening or other color adjustments. The EXIF data is here:
    http://clearwaterphotography.smugmug.com/photos/newexif.mg?ImageID=41056308
  • erich6erich6 Registered Users Posts: 1,638 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2005
    Second one for sure!
  • ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2005
    I also prefer the second shot :)
  • johnojohno Registered Users Posts: 617 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2005
    15524779-Ti.gif #2

peace.
    johno~
    If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other.
    ~Mother Teresa

Canon 1D Mark II / Canon 50D / Canon 30D / Canon G9
    Canon 50mm 1.4
    Canon 24-105 f/4 L IS / Canon 70-200 f/2.8 L

blog
    johno's gallery