beginner camera? looking for a Vari-angle LCD

mag74mag74 Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
edited November 26, 2011 in Cameras
I am looking into a beginner camera but specifically looking for a Vari-angle LCD. Right now i am interested in the Canon Rebel T3i. Does anyone have any other suggestions? also is it safe to buy used SLR cameras?
I know that i can buy a body separate from a lens. What lenses would be good to start out with? I specifically want to take wedding and child pictures.

Comments

• IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2011
    I don't know why you want a vari-angle LCD. It's a gimmick IMO. Just something waiting to break. Forget it and buy yourself a Nikon D7000. Best DSLR for the money regardless of manuracturer.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2011
    There are advantages to a vari-angle LCD. You can hold the camera above your head, put it on a table, or something like that, and still compose the shot.

The T3i is great. I buy used gear all the time, to save money (to buy more gear!:D). I'd recommend a 50 1.8 and maybe a Tamron 17-50.
  • mag74mag74 Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited November 26, 2011
    thanks for the help! I am not sure how how to thank those who replied (other forums I use have a thanks button for replies). anyways I think I have decided to go for the T3i. the D7000 is a little out of my price range. I think it is over $1000. I have been doing some reading about lenses. I really want to take photos of people (weddings, sports, children etc). I now know the difference between Prime lens and telephoto lens. Is the Tamron 17-50 a telephoto lens? I think it is because it goes from 17-50mm. I am wondering what you guys think about 1st vs 3rd party lens. I was reading that canon lens are more compatible and higher quality for more money, but other companies like Tamron or sigma offer lens for a cheaper price but need mounts and less quality. Is it worth the trade offs to pay for the higher priced canon lenes?
  • ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2011
    OK, see my post in your other thread. To answer your questions: the Tamron 17-50 is not a telephoto lens. It's a normal lens. Telephoto would be 70mm (moderate telephoto) or more. 200mm is telephoto. 400mm is supertelephoto. 1200mm is $100,000 :D

Prime means "not zoom". A 20mm is a prime. A 50mm is a prime. A 200mm is a prime.

Telephoto means beyond 70mm or so. There are telephoto zooms (70-200 for example), and there are telephoto primes (135mm f/2L for example). Telephoto is the opposite of wide-angle.

1st vs 3rd party: it depends. Different 3rd party lenses are different quality. The Tamron 17-50 is definitely worth buying - very good quality. The Tamron 55-200 is much lower quality, and probably not worth buying. When in doubt, ask here :D