Options

Glasses and focusing...

M38A1M38A1 Registered Users Posts: 1,317 Major grins
edited November 4, 2011 in Technique
Silly question #3,254,860...

If I'm using an older manual focus camera, would the images be sharper to wear my glasses when focusing? I sort of thought if I didn't, then the lens is making up my 'prescription' (+.75) which would be off for the image.

So that leads me to believe wearing them would be preferred.

Before I go burn some of that rolled plastic stuff in the little canisters, glasses or not when focusing manually?

Comments

• Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2011
    Well my film cameras have little arrows that tell me when it is in focus, so glasses or not doesn't matter.
    I would be wearing my glasses...unless you have some good reason not to.
  • Options
    M38A1M38A1 Registered Users Posts: 1,317 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2011
    My prism (Nikon FE body) has the split circle in the center, so finding vertical lines on the target makes it easy when they line up. I suppose I'll shoot a roll with, and one without and compare.

Man, that autofocus on new gear sure makes life easy... :D

Thx-
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2011
    M38A1 wrote: »
    My prism (Nikon FE body) has the split circle in the center, so finding vertical lines on the target makes it easy when they line up. I suppose I'll shoot a roll with, and one without and compare.

Man, that autofocus on new gear sure makes life easy... :D

Thx-

AF does. But I shot MF until I went digital and It seemed normal to me...the prism is the key.
    tom wise
  • Options
    basfltbasflt Registered Users Posts: 1,882 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2011
    zoomer wrote: »
    ...unless you have some good reason not to.
    i often have trouble with reflections on my glasses [ shooting macro ]
    if that happens , i also dont know what is best , [ cant see clearly with or without ] ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited November 4, 2011
    Most better DSLRs have a means of focusing the viewer eyepiece, so that you can minimize the significance of one's refractive error ( glasses correction).

If one has a large refractive error, especially with lots of astigmatism, then one needs to wear their eyeglasses or contact lenses, or consider LASIK refractive correction, because manually focusing with a large refractive error will not be precise, and will be frustrating. Even with good autofocus, with a large refractive error, the camera may not choose the AF point one would prefer.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin