Options

Pricing, Copyright Infringement

SyBerGuySyBerGuy Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
edited November 6, 2011 in Mind Your Own Business
Hello,

I recently joined SmugMug and with the Pro subscription. So I have few quick questions:

Pricing-
I am an advanced amateur photographer (Metro NYC), using a Nikon D700, SB-900/600 speedlights and many older but very good Nikkor AI lens. I shoot a variety of subjects and hardly have make money in the past. But I hope this will change somewhat by offering my photography on SmugMug. I also do not have an overhead (rental space, a lot of equipment or need to travel a long distance to any location... but many years of Amateur experience). So I want to start out with a conservative price and increase it accordingly.
Q:1) Is a 130% mark up across the board a good start?
That is with the base price of BayPhoto and EZ Prints marked up… and other merchandise,
downloads. I had first started with a 200% mark up and then went down to 130%.

Copyright Infringement-
I know that I can offer for sale basic outdoor/public street scenes. However…
Q#2- Can I sell photos taken around Rockefeller Center In Manhattan?
That is the Prometheus statue (skating rink), Christmas Tree, artwork on the outside of the buildings, Atlas statue, etc.
Q#3- How about general photos of people walking say in a park, on the sidewalk, sitting at a café, inside of a subway car…. Not images that are very close up, but general scenes… ?
Q#4- What about images at public events?
I have great images from the US Tennis Open and various Dog Shows…. But I can’t use them
because it is a private event. However, is there a way to overcome this by offering general images (not tennis players)? That is, the inside of the stadium (from the top), overview of many dogs at a show in the ring?

Any comments, advice will be helpful,

SyBerGuy
Metro NYC
http://syberguy.smugmug.com/

Comments