Options

Different ways to sell photos

photodad1photodad1 Registered Users Posts: 566 Major grins
edited November 28, 2011 in Mind Your Own Business
I am looking for other ways to sell my photos other than SmugMug. I love SmugMug, but are their other websites to sell your photos?

Comments

• Options
    Mark DickinsonMark Dickinson Registered Users Posts: 337 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2011
    Google sell stock mages I stock photo and stock websites might be an option. Smugmug can be more powerful tHan those though if you keyword the galleries and Seo everything. I do our site mdpsenior.com with 303 forwarding and it's it's own website to my gallery

I've tried the shoot and hand out cards at events. Can be good
  • Options
    orljustinorljustin Registered Users Posts: 193 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2011
    photodad1 wrote: »
    I am looking for other ways to sell my photos other than SmugMug. I love SmugMug, but are their other websites to sell your photos?

What does "sell my photos" mean to you?
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2011
    photodad1 wrote: »

The short answer is "yes", but you're way too vague. What type of photography? Who are your clients? How do they find you? Do they already know you exist and that you have photos they want to view and possibly purchase (such as in event photography)?
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    photodad1photodad1 Registered Users Posts: 566 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2011
    I'm sorry, let me re-word my question. I travel some throughout east coast taking photos such as wildlife and landscapes. I have read iStock is one option, any others?
  • Options
    orljustinorljustin Registered Users Posts: 193 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2011
    It isn't likely that random travel snapshots will make you any money as stock content, iStock or elsewhere.
  • Options
    deb22deb22 Registered Users Posts: 428 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2011
    Hi Chris, You say landscape and wildlife but your site is all high school sport? I like 4 of your 9 photo's in journey gallerie but you have no keywords- No random person will punch in 2008...trip? Start with keywords and see what kind of traffic that brings. Unless you do shows to make a name for yourself stock is the way to go, but you only get a few cents per download so unless you have a huge inventory of "acceptable" shots don't bother with that option. Try your local markets first.
    COUNTRY ROADS ARE NATURES HIGHWAY. http://dafontainewildlife.com
  • Options
    The anxious oneThe anxious one Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
    edited November 25, 2011
    I need to find better keywords for my photos that may help improve my sales. So I am like Photodad1.
    James Lamb

J. Lamb Photo

www.jlambphoto.com
  • Options
    johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2011
    There's another thread in the business section already discussing this topic. Honestly, there are VERY FEW people commercially successful selling landscape/wildlife images exclusively via internet. Most successful photographers simply use a web site as advertisement - they actually have images in galleries or in a studio. There are thousands upon thousands of sites out there and even more images. Think about it: Go to any tourist area and look in a gift shop - you'll see very nice small prints for a few bucks. For people that just want a "nice shot" they'll buy those. For someone that wants fine art - they're not going to buy from the internet from an artist they don't know. The vast majority of people are simply stumbling across the gallery based upon a web search for something else. Or, they're simply people wanting to look on-line at photos. No intention of buying.

Of course, it all depends on what a person considers a "successful" business. Is $200 a year successful? Or $2,000 or $20,000?

To the OP - when someone suggests to you they are successful at selling these types of photos on-line only - I would suggest you have a private discussion with them and ask them to translate "successful" into actual dollars. That way you can judge whether their idea of "success" and yours are similar.