edited October 25, 2005 in Mind Your Own Business
so, who's flocking? :ear

Comments

• Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2005
    andy wrote:
    so, who's flocking? ear.gif
    I went to the site, and looked at the various pages. They seem to have a lot of people there. They are located in Palo Alto, right up the street from me, but I haven't a clue as what the company does or what there products do. :cry

(Ok, I can see it's software related, but that's the extent of it.)

Whatever it is it must be for an exclusive techie crowd.

I don't want to hear any "are you flocking" questions like those stupid TV comercials. :):

Good luk with your flocking thing, and I hope no one is hurt.

Take photos! (can you take fotos of flocking? Do you need special lights, lenses, fast shutter speeds?)

Sam
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2005
    Sam wrote:
    but I haven't a clue as what the company does or what there products do. :cry

it's a browser.
  • Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2005
    Worst website...EVER!!!

comicbookguy.gif
    andy wrote:
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2005
    Worst website...EVER!!!

comicbookguy.gif

You obviously have no idea how bad it can get.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited October 23, 2005
    Worst website...EVER!!!

comicbookguy.gif
    yeah, cbg's not geeky enough to like the flock dealie. he needs his new technology served up in a greasy lunch bag... lol3.gif
  • Options
    JohnRJohnR Registered Users Posts: 732 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2005
    First time I have heard of this and was surprised that I had to go through the FAQ's to find out what exactly it is.

I'm trying it out now and so far it's not bad....
  • Options
    Phil U.Phil U. Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2005
    My understanding of it is that it is Firefox bundled with some popular extensions and then some custom "social networking" stuff (like sharing bookmarks among groups of friends).

But yea - very bad website.
  • Options
    luke_churchluke_church Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2005
    andy wrote:
    Brief answer to distract me from work :-)

Not me :-(

Browsers are hard. They are dangerous and difficult applications to write. You have to trust the people who write them. I see no reason to trust that Flock aren't going to break the security of the Mozilla base. Mozilla have a reputation, and even their security is pretty suckful, Flock would only win on obscurity.

Judging on the way it took me some 30 seconds to find out what on earth Flock was, they aren't gaining my trust fast.

Further more: http://www.decrem.com/bart/2005/10/creating-sustainable-value/

I smell bankrupcy. Don's post in his blog seems to say it all to me:

http://blogs.smugmug.com/onethumb/2005/10/08/bubble-20-buckle-up/

I hope they rise through their problems to produce the worlds best browser, but until they do, I'm not going there...

Luke
  • Options
    edited October 24, 2005
    seems to be fairly complicated - users need delicious to make it work right to start, and then bloggers benefit. i know that social bookmarking and blogging are growing, but i wonder what % of the web's users care about this? ne_nau.gif

for me, it was a big deal to get onto firefox - back when i was using pcs in 2004 - i'm quite happy with firefox and safari combos - the feature set would have to slay me in order for me to switch i'm thinking ... not to mention that it's already hard enough to keep track of everything i'm working with !
  • Options
    luke_churchluke_church Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2005
    andy wrote:
    i know that social bookmarking and blogging are growing, but i wonder what % of the web's users care about this? ne_nau.gif
    I would say a small fraction, I would also argue that Blogging is a vastly overrated tool at the moment. I have found it very valuable indeed in some circumstances, and I understand and find people blogging about their work helpful, (e.g. SmugBlogs) however, I don't give a monkey about what my great Aunt Agatha's second sons goldfish is doing....

So I think we'll end up fairly soon with Blogs being published in clusters of people, like emails but on the Web...

There is a pretty cool guy called Marc Einsenstadt who was at a Psychology of Programming conference I was at who runs the Open University's Social Software group: http://kmi.open.ac.uk/people/marc

He's a very good guy, and persuaded a bunch of people there to try Blogging, but it's kind of fizzled out. He thinks social software is the next thing, or at least he's good at persuading people to think that... He had some involvement in Technorati I think as well, pretty high end stuff

I tried blogging for a bit, but didn't like publishing junk and kept wanting to improve on my ideas before documenting them in public. Maybe I'm too conservative in that respect to be a true blogger, but I believe in quality over quantity any day. I'm concerned that blogging will just add to the cyber-trash.

I'll try to get in touch with him and see what he makes of all this, when I next get the time.
    for me, it was a big deal to get onto firefox - back when i was using pcs in 2004 - i'm quite happy with firefox and safari combos - the feature set would have to slay me in order for me to switch i'm thinking ...
    Exactly.
    not to mention that it's already hard enough to keep track of everything i'm working with !
    Tell me about it. Multiple different cookies in different browsers on different machines. How have we managed to create a configuration problem in something as 'configuration free' as a web-browser...

Damn technology...

Back to designing more of it ;)

Luke
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited October 25, 2005
    the internet is getting hard headscratch.gif

first get this del.icio.ous account...
    then you need to blog...
    then look at this code...

uh, no thanks.
    Erik