Options

Radlab vs Florabella Classic?

divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
edited May 12, 2013 in Weddings
Even though I'd use it on portraits, I thought more people here in weddings might be familiar with the products, so....

Thoughts on either, particularly Florabella? I'm currently using the Radlab trial and I do quite like it, but probably not enough to buy it (maybe they'll do the usual Black Friday prices, at which point I might, but at full price, probably not).

What about Florabella? I REALLY like some of the sample images but, unfortunately, there's no trial for the product to see how it would work for me. ANybody use it and have thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    edited November 9, 2011
    Just to follow up on this....

My trial for Radlab has expired, but given that I already have most of those actions in their "original" form, and that it is WAY too easy for me to overuse the artistic effects that are the TRA trademark, I did actually buy the Florabella "Classic Workflow" set - found a coupon for $30 off and since I've been considering it for weeks now, figured it was a reasonable birthday treat to myself :)

In short, I'd say they're a useful complement to something like TRA rather than overlapping it, and they are NICE. The basic actions do some things that TRA and other actions I've used don't - in particular there is a GREAT sharpening step, and the colour/contrast/curves used really do nice things for skintones. All elements of each action are tweakable within the group, so you have a lot of control to tailor the action to the picture once you've run it.

In addition to the 8 full developing actions, there are some good utility tools too (sharpen, denoise, there's a good dehaze action etc etc). The "artistic" actions (colour tints, hazes etc) aren't necessarily my regular style, but I can imagine using them in some shots for a certain look. The BW actions are also good, and different from any other bw actions/presets I already have.

As always, similar results *can* be achieved in LR (which is where I always start), but these actions were definitely designed with portraits in mind, and do some things that I can't always manage in LR. They also run quickly and smoothly; I think I'll be using them quite a lot once I get them integrated into my workflow...

In any case, here's a formal review with before/after samples from Everything Bloom (which is where I found the coupon).
  • Options
    lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2011
    divamum wrote: »
    Just to follow up on this....

My trial for Radlab has expired, but given that I already have most of those actions in their "original" form, and that it is WAY too easy for me to overuse the artistic effects that are the TRA trademark, I did actually buy the Florabella "Classic Workflow" set - found a coupon for $30 off and since I've been considering it for weeks now, figured it was a reasonable birthday treat to myself :)

In short, I'd say they're a useful complement to something like TRA rather than overlapping it, and they are NICE. The basic actions do some things that TRA and other actions I've used don't - in particular there is a GREAT sharpening step, and the colour/contrast/curves used really do nice things for skintones. All elements of each action are tweakable within the group, so you have a lot of control to tailor the action to the picture once you've run it.

In addition to the 8 full developing actions, there are some good utility tools too (sharpen, denoise, there's a good dehaze action etc etc). The "artistic" actions (colour tints, hazes etc) aren't necessarily my regular style, but I can imagine using them in some shots for a certain look. The BW actions are also good, and different from any other bw actions/presets I already have.

As always, similar results *can* be achieved in LR (which is where I always start), but these actions were definitely designed with portraits in mind, and do some things that I can't always manage in LR. They also run quickly and smoothly; I think I'll be using them quite a lot once I get them integrated into my workflow...

In any case, here's a formal review with before/after samples from Everything Bloom (which is where I found the coupon).

thanks divamum.
    I use lr3 and picnik (yes I do so love my picnik still).
    I thought Florabella was only for photoshop, they are actions not presets correct? They can't be used in LR no?
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    edited November 10, 2011
    Florabella = actions, yes. There are versions for PS and PSE, however. Much though I love LR, there are some things it just can't do, so I decided to take a chance on these - I'm very pleased with them!
  • Options
    shecapturesmeshecapturesme Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited April 22, 2013
    http://smu.gs/15AInep is an album of a birthday parites..and suggestions on editing will be greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2013
    http://smu.gs/15AInep is an album of a birthday parites..and suggestions on editing will be greatly appreciated.

Hi there, and thanks for posting! To get some good feedback on your post-production, you might want to create a new topic either here in this forum, or probably over in the Post-Production forum! http://dgrin.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10

Take care,
    =Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2013
    I have both and I vote for Florabella in your case. In RAD I use the Prettizer a lot but I think Florabella has more diversity.
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • Options
    jmihalyijmihalyi Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited May 12, 2013
    Florabella all the way!!!