Options

Watermarking small images

jachangjachang Registered Users Posts: 183 Major grins
edited November 8, 2011 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
I've searched around, but couldn't find whether anything has changed for watermarking images smaller than 800 px.

I would love to be able to watermark ALL images. Reason being is that one of my small images was stolen and scattered all over the web, being used by numerous candle companies as part of their ads for candles, as well as digital posters.

If someone is looking for an image to use on their own website, it doesn't have to be very big, and having a watermark may help deter them from stealing other people's work.

Jean

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2011
    I'm sorry, we only watermark images that are greater than 800px.
    Under that, you can watermark them yourself in photoshop or lightroom.
  • Options
    SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2011
    Now, if your original is large enough to be watermarked, you can tell SM to watermark every size of image, including thumbnails. This way, even if the smallest image is taken, it's still got your watermark on it. thumb.gif
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!
  • Options
    edited November 6, 2011
    SamirD wrote: »
    Now, if your original is large enough to be watermarked, you can tell SM to watermark every size of image, including thumbnails. This way, even if the smallest image is taken, it's still got your watermark on it. thumb.gif

How do you do that? I thought there was only the option to watermark or not watermark. I didn't know it could be size-specific.

Jean
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,013 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2011
    jachang wrote: »
    How do you do that? I thought there was only the option to watermark or not watermark. I didn't know it could be size-specific.

Jean
    If the original is large enough to watermark it is added to every generated display size. On the
    WM page in your CP there is a check box to also do thumbnails.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited November 7, 2011
    Allen wrote: »
    If the original is large enough to watermark it is added to every generated display size. On the
    WM page in your CP there is a check box to also do thumbnails.

Yes, but that's my problem. The original is NOT large enough to watermark, so I can't do it. Unfortunately, the people who want this stuff for their online ads, only need tiny copies. Too bad some people don't mind stealing. :cry

--Jean
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,013 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2011
    Yes, but that's my problem. The original is NOT large enough to watermark, so I can't do it. Unfortunately, the people who want this stuff for their online ads, only need tiny copies. Too bad some people don't mind stealing. :cry

--Jean
    Is the original from the camera that small? Might upload >800px sizes.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited November 7, 2011
    Allen wrote: »
    Is the original from the camera that small? Might upload >800px sizes.

The original is a digital artwork I did for an online contest. It's under 800 px because there was no need for anything larger. However, since everyone seems to think it was so great, they're all trying to copy it and use it in their ads and I can't watermark it. Actually, even if I could, it wouldn't completely stop it, because people have taken it from the contest site, too.

Jean
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2011
    Maybe you could add a border to it to make the original larger to make it available for watermarking?
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited November 8, 2011
    Maybe you could add a border to it to make the original larger to make it available for watermarking?

That's a great idea! I still hope that someday SmugMug will let us watermark ALL of our images.

Thanks!:D

Jean
  • Options
    SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2011
    ...because people have taken it from the contest site, too.
    This is why I'm very wary of contests and such that display a 'high-enough' resolution copy to be taken. Even SM's own contest had this issue. The contests aren't worth giving my work away for free...
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!