Making money from Fun runs etc

GlortGlort Registered Users Posts: 1,015 Major grins
edited November 12, 2011 in Mind Your Own Business
Doing a google search for Charity Balls and Dinners I have come across a lot of charity and fun runs.

I imagine these have a lot of participants and therefore potential clients.
Has/ does anyone cover these events and if so, are they worthwhile and how do you go about them?

What comes to mind is photographing people along the route or at the finish and putting them on Vstations for Viewing and onsite printing.
I'm thinking I would catergorise them by 15 min intervals for the people to find their pics.

While there are generally loads of people at these rides/ runs/ walks, i'm not confident they would buy pics of themselves there.

Any info or input as to the viability and best way to execute the photography of these events would be appreciated.

Comments

• Bend The LightBend The Light Registered Users Posts: 1,887 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2011
    Are you planning on giving some or all of the proceeds from sales to the charity concerned?

That would be my first question...

I think people doing the run "may" want a photo of themselves looking hot sweaty and knackered, and some won't. :)
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2011
    glort,

This is done here in the US all the time. One national company, Brightroom, has hundreds of independent phototraphers on call through out the US and can cover multiple events in multiple states on the same day. Many larger events can have a dozen or more photographers.

You may be interested to know there is a wack-a-nut here in the US that has been issued a patent on locating runners by time and or bib numbers and selling on the internet. The guys name is Peter Wolf.

Many US companies have capitulated to this ludicrous patent. I am hoping he will have a harder time in the land of OZ. :D
  • GlortGlort Registered Users Posts: 1,015 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2011
    Are you planning on giving some or all of the proceeds from sales to the charity concerned?

That would be my first question...

I think people doing the run "may" want a photo of themselves looking hot sweaty and knackered, and some won't. :)

I dare say I would have to give the organisers something but it would be a percentage rather than a flat fee. the are no where near as aggressive with commissions here as they seem to be in the states and i for one am not going to let them think we are a meal ticket by winning deals on commissions paid.

I had the same thoughts about the hot and sweaty and it was the first thing that came to mind with the women participants. They are fussy enough about how they look at weddings and Balls let alone after galloping down the road for 10KM.
  • GlortGlort Registered Users Posts: 1,015 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2011
    Sam wrote: »
    glort,

This is done here in the US all the time. One national company, Brightroom, has hundreds of independent phototraphers on call through out the US and can cover multiple events in multiple states on the same day. Many larger events can have a dozen or more photographers.

You may be interested to know there is a wack-a-nut here in the US that has been issued a patent on locating runners by time and or bib numbers and selling on the internet. The guys name is Peter Wolf.

Many US companies have capitulated to this ludicrous patent. I am hoping he will have a harder time in the land of OZ. :D

I did read about the patent thing here Sam.
    As I would do this onsite, maybe I should file a patent for people viewing images on Viewstations and onsite printing? Wonder how I'd police that and get any revenue from it though? Perhaps I could knock the other clown out and patent taking photographs at sports and commounity events and selling them?
    I could just force the patent on one person then to give him some of his own back.

I had a look at the brightroom site and have to say I was VERY underwhealmed.
    -IF- they are making money from pics like that, then there has to be something in this.
    that said the thought occoured as to what the participants do when they have completed their run/ walk/ ride?
    Somehow, I can't see them walking over to look at pics and purchase them. If I did go online, then there is the problem of getting letting them know the site. Obviously it would be imperative to get on the organisers site.

Perhaps something a bit left of field may work like greenscreening them with some backdrop or a commerative overlay on the pics with a portable studio setup in my tent at the fisnish ( or start) and forget about the actual race shots themselves?
    I'm also wondering if a high volume low cost approach would be the way to go like $5 for a 5x7 or 6x4 and try to just hook in heaps of people onsite? Then I'm wondering if they carry any money and if not are they going to go get it and come back?

At this stage i'm feeling far from convinced of the profitability of these events but I'd like to hear from people that have done them, better yet, done several of them, to hear what they think and their approach.
  • PRW_PhotoPRW_Photo Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited November 12, 2011
    I've started doing a couple of these this year.

I wouldn't worry about people not looking their best. For something like a 10K, they obviously put effort into training/running, and they would love a shot of them "in action". Not sure if you will get a lot of interest in posed shots before/after the race itself (other than the awards ceremony at the very end).

Here in the states, at least, organizers are always looking for raffle prizes to give away, so instead of giving the organizers a percentage, you can donate a gift certificate (I use a family portrait session) and they'll be happy to have you involved. If you will be selling online, you may need to have a flyer delivered to the organizers ahead of time for them to include in the race packets that are given to all the participants. Also make sure you get them to include a link to your gallery on the race website or FB page.

Paul Wossidlo
    www.PaulRichardWossidlo.com
    www.facebook.com/PaulRichardWossidloPhotography