Sigma lens 28 -70 not liking night time

BountyphotographerBountyphotographer Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
edited November 8, 2011 in Cameras
Got a good one guys,
I have a sigma 28-70 2.8 which I love during day but at night it's not that good while shooting inside with very dim light the lens is acting up because suddenly I can t barely see throught the viewfinder.
As a result the shot are dark with minimum light from my Canon 580 flash.
I put my cheap 18-55 lens and voila the shoot were great.
what's wrong with my lens or me????

Bounty
:photo

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,077 moderator
    edited November 7, 2011
    Your user profile indicates that you are shooting with a Canon 30D. If that's still true, the first thing to try is the DOF Preview button to see if you can see the lens aperture moving. If that doesn't change when you have a smaller aperture selected then the lens' diaphragm is likely broken or sticking.

If there is a problem with the lens then it's probably time for service.

If this is the older f2.8-f4 design then the lens may not be worth servicing (IMO) since replacement costs would likely be less than repairs. ($180USD for a new lens.)
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • BountyphotographerBountyphotographer Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2011
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    Your user profile indicates that you are shooting with a Canon 30D. If that's still true, the first thing to try is the DOF Preview button to see if you can see the lens aperture moving. If that doesn't change when you have a smaller aperture selected then the lens' diaphragm is likely broken or sticking.

If there is a problem with the lens then it's probably time for service.

If this is the older f2.8-f4 design then the lens may not be worth servicing (IMO) since replacement costs would likely be less than repairs. ($180USD for a new lens.)

I'll try that tonight, again I have no problem during the day with that lens.
    BTW my lens cost more than $180 new I have the Sigma 28-70/2.8 EX Aspherical used it's > $200 on ebay.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,077 moderator
    edited November 7, 2011
    I'll try that tonight, again I have no problem during the day with that lens.
    BTW my lens cost more than $180 new I have the Sigma 28-70/2.8 EX Aspherical used it's > $200 on ebay.

That's the better, more recent, constant aperture zoom lens. It's the preferable of the two and probably worth repairs (assuming it's out-of-warranty.) If it's still under warranty, just contact Sigma for service advice.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited November 7, 2011
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    That's the better, more recent, constant aperture zoom lens. It's the preferable of the two and probably worth repairs (assuming it's out-of-warranty.) If it's still under warranty, just contact Sigma for service advice.

I'll do the test tonight
    edited November 8, 2011
    I'll do the test tonight

It works. Everything is just fine , bizarre.
    The aperture might get stuck from time to time but now
    there is no problem at all.