Low light focus on D3s/D700

HelvegrHelvegr Registered Users Posts: 246 Major grins
edited November 7, 2011 in Cameras
Quick question for any D3s owners. Awhile back I had rented a D700 and loved it. One of the things I loved about it was that due to the bright white auto focus assist beam it could focus good in low light conditions, far better then my 5D2 when comparing them side by side.

Looking at the D3s though, it doesn't seem to have this assist beam. Can anybody comment on its ability to focus in low light? I'm assuming its great considering the ISO performance, but maybe I just don't understand the technology being used.

Thanks!
Camera: Nikon D4
Lenses: Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 VR II | Nikon 24-70 f/2.8 | Nikon 50mm f/1.4
Lighting: SB-910 | SU-800

Comments

• zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2011
    I have a d3 and as long as I can find an edge to get contrast it will focus. Unless it is pitch black you should be able to focus...assuming good lenses.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,077 moderator
    edited November 7, 2011
    You could also attach an external flash with a focus assist light, or even an SU-800 Remote Commander, which I think has a focus assist light.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • HelvegrHelvegr Registered Users Posts: 246 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2011
    I'm curious, what would be a reason for a camera to include or to not include a focus assist beam on the body? For the D700 to have one and the D3s to not? Is Nikon assuming that because the D3s doesn't have an built in flash, that whatever lighting system it is being used with is going to provide enough light to focus?
    Camera: Nikon D4
    Lenses: Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 VR II | Nikon 24-70 f/2.8 | Nikon 50mm f/1.4
    Lighting: SB-910 | SU-800
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,077 moderator
    edited November 7, 2011
    It is believed that, since the Nikon D3 series cameras are more likely to be used by professionals, a professional photographer would probably use an external flash or external commander/controller. A built-in flash also tends to make the camera body less water tight.

The reality is that IMO a built-in flash is a tremendous aid for fill flash. I suspect that within a couple of future camera body generations even the professional line of cameras will have a built-in flash.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2011
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    It is believed that, since the Nikon D3 series cameras are more likely to be used by professionals, a professional photographer would probably use an external flash or external commander/controller. A built-in flash also tends to make the camera body less water tight.

The reality is that IMO a built-in flash is a tremendous aid for fill flash. I suspect that within a couple of future camera body generations even the professional line of cameras will have a built-in flash.

I highly doubt that we'll ever see a flagship series camera with a pop-up flash. I wish they'd add a small AF assist beam, but then again all you need is an SU-800 or an STE-2 or whatever those things are, and you get the IR beam.

Bottom line, though, is that the D3s is the king of low-light focusing and overall performance. You barely even need AF assist, especialy when using the center AF point on a fast prime. I only ever seem to need AF assist in situations where I also need a hotshoe fiash, so the point has been moot for me...

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum