Options

Just bought a 10D lens help needed!

GraphyFotozGraphyFotoz Registered Users Posts: 2,267 Major grins
edited October 29, 2005 in Cameras
Ok here is the scoop....bought a 10D with less than 5000 actuations.:clap
This is gonna be my 1 DSLR and I don't have a WAD of cash.
Sooooo.....I know I have been advised against it but I was a good coverage lens to start with for my Nature and macro stuff.

I'm thinking a Sigma 70-300 APO for a few reasons:
1 Price
2 Takes 58mm Filters which I already have for my 828.
(Keeps me from having to drop $$$ on filters right off)
3 Macro looks GREAT!
4 300mm = 480mm in 35mm should get me out a decent ways.

Oh yeah.....yes it'll be 2nd hand.

Any other suggestions for a lens that'll work with a 10D that fits my criteria?

Also BEFORE anyone asks "Why a 10D?"

Several factors.....Price.....BUILD QUALITY and I've been partial to Canon for years! Sorry XT Guys.....an XT just wasn't for me! Didn't fit my long fingers well and the build quality really turned me off.:dunno
Canon 60D | Nikon Cooloix P7700
Manfrotto Mono | Bag- LowePro Slingshot 100AW

http://www.graphyfotoz.smugmug.com/

Comments

• Options
    tom etom e Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited October 23, 2005
    nothing at all wrong with the 10D; it's still a very nice camera. remember that you will not be able to use canon ef-s lenses with it.

i've read good reports about that sigma lens, haven't used it myself. if you are getting a good copy of it used, it sounds to me that it is an excellent place to start. faster lenses would be nice, but the price will be alot higher.

i believe you are making sound, reasonable choices.
  • Options
    edited October 23, 2005
    Thanx for the input Tom!
    tom e wrote:
    nothing at all wrong with the 10D; it's still a very nice camera. remember that you will not be able to use canon ef-s lenses with it.

i've read good reports about that sigma lens, haven't used it myself. if you are getting a good copy of it used, it sounds to me that it is an excellent place to start. faster lenses would be nice, but the price will be alot higher.

i believe you are making sound, reasonable choices.
    Just the EF lens's will work with it I take it?

Tamron is another company I might persue.
    Had a 60-300mm with my A1 35mm and loved it.

Some day I might break into some more expensive glass but in the mean time I wanna "get the feel" of a DSLR.

I'm a rookie when it comes to DSLR so any input I should know is appreciated!thumb.gif

• Options
    Aviator327Aviator327 Registered Users Posts: 95 Big grins
    edited October 23, 2005
    I read somewhere that the EF-S lens works on the 20D but not on the 10D. Go figure.
    CANON 1D 10D 40D
    EF50MM 1.4
    EF50MM 1.8 MKI
    EF28-135MM IS USM
    EF 17-40MM F4L
    EF 70-200MM f4L
    CANON 580EX
  • Options
    Aviator327Aviator327 Registered Users Posts: 95 Big grins
    edited October 23, 2005
    CANON 1D 10D 40D
    EF50MM 1.4
    EF50MM 1.8 MKI
    EF28-135MM IS USM
    EF 17-40MM F4L
    EF 70-200MM f4L
    CANON 580EX
  • Options
    ChaseChase Registered Users Posts: 284 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2005
    Take my word for it.....dont waste money on consumer glass that you will want to get rid of in a few months when you experience some 'real' lenses......ie primes or pro quality zooms.

Start with a 50 f1.8 and go from there......do you always need it to focus closer?(get a true 1:1 macro lens), do you need to 'reach' subjects further away (get a nice telephoto), or do you need to get more into a scene (get a wide angle).

Either go that route, or that somewhat foolish route I went( but not too bad for a begginer), and get a tamron or sigma 28-300. At least after that lens I understood what focal lengths I would want most in my next lenses.....
    www.chase.smugmug.com
    I just press the button and the camera goes CLICK. :dunno
    Canon: gripped 20d and 30d, 10-22 3.5-4.5, 17-55 IS, 50mm f1.8, 70-200L IS, 85mm f1.8, 420ex
    sigma: 10-20 4-5.6 (for sale), 24-70 2.8 (for sale), 120-300 2.8
  • Options
    edited October 25, 2005
    Uhhhh maybe I'm wrong
    Chase wrote:
    Take my word for it.....dont waste money on consumer glass that you will want to get rid of in a few months when you experience some 'real' lenses......ie primes or pro quality zooms.

Start with a 50 f1.8 and go from there......do you always need it to focus closer?(get a true 1:1 macro lens), do you need to 'reach' subjects further away (get a nice telephoto), or do you need to get more into a scene (get a wide angle).

Either go that route, or that somewhat foolish route I went( but not too bad for a beginner), and get a tamron or sigma 28-300. At least after that lens I understood what focal lengths I would want most in my next lenses.....

REAL len's cost REAL $$!
    When you have a so so paying job....morgage.....2 kids to take care of....a REAL lens hardly fits in the picture. REAL lens = about $1000 or more!
    Ya make due with what you can afford.

• Options
    nikknikk Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited October 27, 2005
    Since you say you're on budget, I think the sigma 70-300 apo is quite a decent lens and price. My opinion is as a part time photography ( not doing it as a living),

shooting landscape/scenery, average quality and price is fine for me. I have seen people using the sigma 70-300 getting better results than others using the expensive lenses. Lesson here is good picture =good skill, no so much onthe equipment.

shooting sports, now the expensive fast lens beat the sigma flat here. but still good picture = good skill, not because lens is fast and expensive. give me f2.8 that cost few thousand bucks, my picture will still turn out as crappy :-P

save the money, build the skills, sometime you learn more when there are limitation.

just my 2 cents.xzicon_smile_cool.gif
  • Options
    edited October 29, 2005
    Thanx for the info guys!
    I have a Canon 28-80mm II and a Sigma 70-300mm APO Macro II coming.

For around $200 for both and my current filters will work on them....good place to start! IMHO

Something some people forget when just starting out....You buy lens's gotta RE buy filters and that alone can run some serious cash!!:wow

Oh yeah BTW:
    Buying a camera body when you don't have the lens's for it right off drives you cRaZy!!!:bash

• Options
    wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2005
    If you're buying equipment on a budget like me, a good (and very reputable) place to buy used equipment is KEH camera. They always have a lot of used lenses on-hand. I've bought from them on and off for about 20 years. They rate their used equipment accurately as far as I've been able to tell.

http://www.keh.com/hmpg/index.cfm

their used Canon AF lens section

http://www.keh.com/shop/class.cfm?bid=CE&sid=newused&crid=12442196

The have an "excellent plus" Sigma 70-300 APO for $144

sigmaforless.com is another good place to look for new.
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

• Options
    edited October 29, 2005
    If you're buying equipment on a budget like me, a good (and very reputable) place to buy used equipment is KEH camera. They always have a lot of used lenses on-hand. I've bought from them on and off for about 20 years. They rate their used equipment accurately as far as I've been able to tell.

http://www.keh.com/hmpg/index.cfm

their used Canon AF lens section

http://www.keh.com/shop/class.cfm?bid=CE&sid=newused&crid=12442196

The have an "excellent plus" Sigma 70-300 APO for $144

sigmaforless.com is another good place to look for new.
    Weeding stuff on ebay and racking $$$ in paypal to pay for my camera goodies.
    Don't see where KEH takes Paypal. :uhoh

• Options
    wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2005
    Don't see where KEH takes Paypal.
    Do you have a paypal debit card? They don't cost anything and you can use them as a mastercard in most places. That's what I do - sell my stuff on ebay but use the paypal card anywhere - and to pay the shipping charges on items I have to ship (keeps the ebay stuff out of the regular budget).
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen