bird silhouettes

JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,890 Major grins
edited November 11, 2011 in Other Cool Shots
I took this shot early last year and only rediscovered it yesterday. Comments?

DSC0087-XL.jpg

Comments

• JBHotShotsJBHotShots Registered Users Posts: 391 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2011
    So I am a photography student and we do bi-weekly critiques on our projects. I was having a problem actually standing in front of a class taking the critique as well as participating in giving so I've decided to work more on critiquing in my off time; what a better place than Dgrin.com :D

From the heart:

We've learned a lot about repetition and this has a lot of it; the poles and the two end birds.

I think it is a nice conversion to b/w and it gives it a gloomy feel to it. I'm not sure what movie it is but I remember catching scene from an movie when I was a kid and the man was in a cage and the crows were eating him alive and this reminds me of the crows and what they might be doing when not partaking in such events :giggle

We just learned about graphic elements (points, lines, shapes ect.) and this has two that really stand out to me. Points, the birds, and vertical lines.

Since it is in landscape format I wish that 3 lowest poles wouldn't have been included at all, it just doesn't add to the picture.

Pretty good picture because I usually can't break a picture down like that in class; this is my 5th week. thumb.gif Overall I like the image.
    Jamie
    JBHotShots.com
    Facebook
    7DII w/Grip, 50D w/Grip, 24-70/2.8L, 70-200/2.8L, 85/1.8, 50/1.8, Rokinon 8mm FE 3.2, 580EXII 430EX
  • DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2011
    15524779-Ti.gif The three lowest pole bits are distracting and don't add to the image Crop up from the bottom a tad! thumb.gif.

Good job, Jamie! :D

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
    edited November 8, 2011
    5 plus years of taking pictures but now I am learning photography!
    Jamie
    JBHotShots.com
    Facebook
    7DII w/Grip, 50D w/Grip, 24-70/2.8L, 70-200/2.8L, 85/1.8, 50/1.8, Rokinon 8mm FE 3.2, 580EXII 430EX
  • JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,890 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2011
    So I am a photography student and we do bi-weekly critiques on our projects. I was having a problem actually standing in front of a class taking the critique as well as participating in giving so I've decided to work more on critiquing in my off time; what a better place than Dgrin.com :D

From the heart:

We've learned a lot about repetition and this has a lot of it; the poles and the two end birds.

I think it is a nice conversion to b/w and it gives it a gloomy feel to it. I'm not sure what movie it is but I remember catching scene from an movie when I was a kid and the man was in a cage and the crows were eating him alive and this reminds me of the crows and what they might be doing when not partaking in such events :giggle

We just learned about graphic elements (points, lines, shapes ect.) and this has two that really stand out to me. Points, the birds, and vertical lines.

Since it is in landscape format I wish that 3 lowest poles wouldn't have been included at all, it just doesn't add to the picture.

Pretty good picture because I usually can't break a picture down like that in class; this is my 5th week. thumb.gif Overall I like the image.

Great critique, thanks! I was torn with the poles at the bottom and tried both crops. In the end I decided on this one. I will post a cropped one later to compare..
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2011
    I can see where people say the lowest posts should be taken out, but they give balance to me when viewing. I'm not seeing posts sticking up out of nothing. The lower ones let me know there is ground below. Be it that they're tipped shows my eye there is ground supporting them.

If you go by the 'rules' I suppose they shouldn't be there, but sometimes rules are made to be broken and it's a photographers choice :D

Maybe I'm reading too much into it too rolleyes1.gif
    edited November 8, 2011
    Dogdots wrote: »
    I can see where people say the lowest posts should be taken out, but they give balance to me when viewing. I'm not seeing posts sticking up out of nothing. The lower ones let me know there is ground below. Be it that they're tipped shows my eye there is ground supporting them.

If you go by the 'rules' I suppose they shouldn't be there, but sometimes rules are made to be broken and it's a photographers choice :D

Yes rules are made to be broken and that to me is the beauty of critiques.
    Jamie
    JBHotShots.com
    Facebook
    edited November 8, 2011
    Dogdots wrote: »

Thanks Mary. I agree with you, for me the bottom poles provide some grounding to the picture. Here is a version for the croppers.

DSC0087-XL.jpg
    edited November 8, 2011
    Juano wrote: »
    Thanks Mary. I agree with you, for me the bottom poles provide some grounding to the picture. Here is a version for the croppers.

DSC0087-XL.jpg
    The repetition outways the "balance" of the tips of the poles IMHO. This is a more fundamentally sound image to me.
    Jamie
    JBHotShots.com
    Facebook
    edited November 8, 2011
    The repetition outways the "balance" of the tips of the poles IMHO. This is a more fundamentally sound image to me.

Thanks Jamie, this is the beauty of this forum, different points of view...
  • DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2011
    I think the shot has some things going for it. As is or slightly cropped as suggested.
    For myself I'd play some more with the processing a bit to possibly zest it up some. Of course thats
    a matter of taste just like the cropping suggestion.

Another thing for me out of this piece is the nice details seen with the center bird. Its feet edging over the post. Long legs and the distinct turn of its body and head. Nice silhouette really. This turns me to
    thinking of cropping to just that bird. Say a bit to right in frame with some post left in. Not a serious tight crop but leaving some room around the bird and such. Go with maybe vivid
    white and black. See what ya got if the image will take that much crop. Further playing with it might
    bring the inclusion of another feature like the sun or a bird in flight in balance with the bird on post.
    Just thinking out loud :D
    Michael