Activating the Edge

JBHotShotsJBHotShots Registered Users Posts: 391 Major grins
edited November 9, 2011 in Other Cool Shots
I am a photography student, finally, and am looking to work on critiquing and being critique. I'm going to try for the next couple of weeks to post what I think are my top shots from the assingment that we are given; completed and turned in. We aren't always critiquing the work we turn in so every little bit helps.

Activating the edge assignment was given to use to work on training our brain to not use the center of the frame as our focus point. These are 3 of my favorite of the 20 we turned in.

Lost Marbles
i-D6JTbRW-L.jpg

Keeping Focus
i-SdFfQdP-L.jpg

The Mask
i-63JSkbx-L.jpg

I appreciate any critique as I'm looking for anything that will help me in future assingments.
Jamie
JBHotShots.com
Facebook
7DII w/Grip, 50D w/Grip, 24-70/2.8L, 70-200/2.8L, 85/1.8, 50/1.8, Rokinon 8mm FE 3.2, 580EXII 430EX

Comments

• divmedic4divmedic4 Registered Users Posts: 160 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2011
    Look good to me and an interesting exercise I am going to try myself. I especially like the lost marbles one.
    Canon 7D, Sigma 17-70, Sigma 70-200 2.8 OS, EF 50 1.8 II, 430EXII

Tom
  • JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,890 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2011
    I am a photography student, finally, and am looking to work on critiquing and being critique. I'm going to try for the next couple of weeks to post what I think are my top shots from the assingment that we are given; completed and turned in. We aren't always critiquing the work we turn in so every little bit helps.

Activating the edge assignment was given to use to work on training our brain to not use the center of the frame as our focus point. These are 3 of my favorite of the 20 we turned in.

Lost Marbles
    i-D6JTbRW-L.jpg

Keeping Focus
    i-SdFfQdP-L.jpg

The Mask
    i-63JSkbx-L.jpg

I appreciate any critique as I'm looking for anything that will help me in future assingments.

I like the light in #1, but I would prefer a smooth shiny surface instead of the carpet. The mask is outstanding!
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited November 8, 2011
    Of the three, I like the first best. The color, back light and the composition do it for me.

For the second, I think I would have preferred to see the in focus text more centered on the page--just to give it something more to surround it.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,890 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2011
    ian408 wrote: »
    Of the three, I like the first best. The color, back light and the composition do it for me.

For the second, I think I would have preferred to see the in focus text more centered on the page--just to give it something more to surround it.

Ah!! But note that "whatever the reasons never under estimate the visual power or focus..."
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited November 9, 2011
    Juano wrote: »
    Ah!! But note that "whatever the reasons never under estimate the visual power or focus..."

I saw that. But to me, the words are more meaningful framed by other words on the page.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • JBHotShotsJBHotShots Registered Users Posts: 391 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2011
    divmedic4 wrote: »
    Look good to me and an interesting exercise I am going to try myself. I especially like the lost marbles one.

Thank you! It was a lot harder that it seemed when I was trying to execute.
    Jamie
    JBHotShots.com
    Facebook
    7DII w/Grip, 50D w/Grip, 24-70/2.8L, 70-200/2.8L, 85/1.8, 50/1.8, Rokinon 8mm FE 3.2, 580EXII 430EX
    edited November 9, 2011
    Juano wrote: »
    I like the light in #1, but I would prefer a smooth shiny surface instead of the carpet. The mask is outstanding!

I think that would have actually been better as well but it took another set of eyes to make me realize it; thank you!
    Jamie
    JBHotShots.com
    Facebook
    edited November 9, 2011
    ian408 wrote: »

Thanks for looking. I think it would be a stronger picture if it were framed more in the center as well. My thought process was this:

Text, very powerful subject (at least that's what it says in our reading material)
    Use the edge so find something that is very significant about the text itself and focus on that.
    The word focus was the perfect fit.

Thanks for all of the feed back from everyone.
    Jamie
    JBHotShots.com
    Facebook