Canon 100mm Macro Vs. 100mm Macro L IS

JoeeznutzJoeeznutz Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
edited November 13, 2011 in Cameras
Alright, I know this has been beaten to death in other forums but any owners of both? or someone who can vouch for the L being worth twice the cost?

Should I consider just getting the non L macro version? A friend suggested that since I already have the 70-200 2.8 IS

Which Lens? for the Value? 7 votes

100mm f/2.8 Macro Non-IS ~$500
42% 3 votes
100mm f/2.8 Macro L IS ~$1000
57% 4 votes

Comments

• Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2011
    I don't own both, but I have shot extensively with both.

If you're shooting higher than ~12 megapixels, then you kinda need the L. I have had this confirmed in my own tests, and by other owners. 21 megapixels is one thing, let alone the fact that the next camera will probably be over 30. If you're into nature photography and want to make huge prints of this stuff, get the L. Just think about when the older one was designed, and what resolution cameras were at that time... End of story.

If, however, you're just a candid shooter and you maybe shoot weddings or something, and only really need the MACRO capability here and there for a ring or something, then yeah consider other options since the 100 L is so dang expensive. Personally, I'm a full-time wedding photographer and I'd much rather just use a close-up filter on a 50mm or 24-70, since it's so much easier to slap on and it's way more portable for lugging around all day and only using for 5 minutes. (A B+W close-up filter is $60-100 depending on the filter thread diameter)

...Unless, of course, you're one of those minimalist types and you prefer primes instead of huge zooms. I know I HATE lugging around the 70-200 2.8... (I usually shoot Nikon, but same thing...) Anyways, you can also consider the 100 Macro to be a great telephoto candid lens, for when you don't NEED the zoom of a 70-200, but you need bokeh and stabilization. (As opposed to just shooting on an 85 prime...) Personally though, I'm saving up for the new Sigma 150 2.8 OS Macro, since it's 50% longer it really does a better job of "replacing" the 70-200 for wedding photojournalism. And it's pretty dang sharp, sharp enough to be acceptable on 20+ megapixel cameras. At least that's what the reviews say, I haven't tested it myself yet...

Take care, and good luck deciding! What DO you shoot, by the way? Nature? Weddings? Casual? All of the above? ;-)

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,068 moderator
    edited November 8, 2011
    The primary differences between the "L" version and the previous are:
    Stabilization
    Weather seals
    Slight improvement in bokeh

In most other respects they are going to produce very similar images, and I doubt that anyone could tell any difference just by image results.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,068 moderator
    edited November 8, 2011
    ... Personally, I'm a full-time wedding photographer and I'd much rather just use a close-up filter on a 50mm or 24-70, since it's so much easier to slap on and it's way more portable for lugging around all day and only using for 5 minutes. (A B+W close-up filter is $60-100 depending on the filter thread diameter)

I absolutely agree. For events a diopter attachment lens will allow very nice results without a separate lens. In this regard the Canon 500D close focus lens is about as good as it gets, even on Nikon lenses. mwink.gif

I haven't used a B+W diopter, but, in addition to the Canon 500D I have both Sony and Minolta, dual element, close focus diopters, and I'm happy with them all.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2011
    Simple! The L comes with magic!

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2011
    NeilL wrote: »
    Simple! The L comes with magic!

Neil

Maybe, but whether any of it rubs off - and sticks to the user, can be another matter entirely :)

pp
  • Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2011
    unless you're a real serious macro shooter the cheaper 100mm should be fine, the cheaper Tamron 90mm 60mm, Canon 60, or Sigma 105, etc. could even be better options
  • Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2011
    If you have the money go for the L IS. It is so much nicer to have
    IS, weathersealing the superior build quality and faster focus speed.

If money is an issue you will find a very good performer in the
    non-L as well. Just without the extras mentioned above.
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston