Galloway Hills Rally 30.10.2011

canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
edited November 10, 2011 in Sports
Here are some airbourne shots of the Galloway Hills Rally South West Scotland on 30.10.2011. C & C always welcome and appreciated.
Cheers
Bob

Galloway-Hills-Rally-L.jpg

Comments

• austinado16austinado16 Registered Users Posts: 300 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2011
    Those are kinda fun! #3 for some reason, is my favorite. I guess because the car is closer, it's off center, and you're to the side just enough to see the actual spokes of the wheel. Nice job!
    Let's face it; more gear than sense.

Canon 7D... Canon 70-200/2.8L IS... Canon 28-70/2.8L... Canon 135/f2L... Canon 85/1.8... Canon 50/1.4... Canon 28/1.8
  • JSPhotographyJSPhotography Registered Users Posts: 552 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2011
    Great stuff, nice timing, it's not like they are airborn for very long. Question - what could be done in this situation so you would be able to see the driver? Will a polorizer help? Strobes from the side? What mode did you shoot these in? The Exif data is showing auto but all the shutter speeds are at 1/1000. I'm guessing Tv, played with ISO and let aperture float. Were you on a tripod? The blurry weed in the foreground is pretty consistant.
  • canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2011
    Great stuff, nice timing, it's not like they are airborn for very long. Question - what could be done in this situation so you would be able to see the driver? Will a polorizer help? Strobes from the side? What mode did you shoot these in? The Exif data is showing auto but all the shutter speeds are at 1/1000. I'm guessing Tv, played with ISO and let aperture float. Were you on a tripod? The blurry weed in the foreground is pretty consistant.

Thanks for looking and replying. You are quite right they were not airbourne for any length of time. In actual fact I was only able to get three continuous shots with the 7D. Windscreen blur has always been a problem at rallies. In the past I have tried using a polorizer but have had no success. I always shoot in TV mode at around 640 to 1000. At the same time trying to keep the ISO as low as possible. my 70-200 lens is an F.4 and at times I really have to compensate with the ISO with this Scottish weather. That blurry weed which keeps appearing was a damned nuisance. Each car set off at one minute intervals and I just didn't have the time to flatten the firn which always seem to result in the third image ruined. All the shots were hand held.
    Cheers
    Bob
  • JBHotShotsJBHotShots Registered Users Posts: 391 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2011
    Do these tires not have tread on them? I would think that at 1/1000 that would freeze the wheels. Nice shots.
    Jamie
    JBHotShots.com
    Facebook
    7DII w/Grip, 50D w/Grip, 24-70/2.8L, 70-200/2.8L, 85/1.8, 50/1.8, Rokinon 8mm FE 3.2, 580EXII 430EX
    edited November 10, 2011
    Do these tires not have tread on them? I would think that at 1/1000 that would freeze the wheels. Nice shots.

Thanks for replying Jamie. I am sure they have tread on them it must be the photographer at fault.
    Cheers
    Bob
  • ImageX PhotographyImageX Photography Registered Users Posts: 528 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2011
    I can almost hear the sound of them buzzing around the track. Nice shots. Have any of them landing though? Suspension collapsed and throwing roost?
    edited November 10, 2011
    I can almost hear the sound of them buzzing around the track. Nice shots. Have any of them landing though? Suspension collapsed and throwing roost?

Thanks for looking and replying.
    Cheers
    Bob
  • JBHotShotsJBHotShots Registered Users Posts: 391 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2011
    canon400d wrote: »
    Thanks for replying Jamie. I am sure they have tread on them it must be the photographer at fault.
    Cheers
    Bob
    Nah, no one's fault...Laughing.gif...I just thought it was interesting NOT seeing any...Laughing.gif Nice series.
    Jamie
    JBHotShots.com
    Facebook
    7DII w/Grip, 50D w/Grip, 24-70/2.8L, 70-200/2.8L, 85/1.8, 50/1.8, Rokinon 8mm FE 3.2, 580EXII 430EX
    edited November 11, 2011
    Nah, no one's fault...Laughing.gif...I just thought it was interesting NOT seeing any...Laughing.gif Nice series.
    Thanks for that Jamie
    Cheers
    Bob