Orange

SeniorMattSeniorMatt Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
edited November 13, 2011 in Other Cool Shots
While peeling an orange after dinner tonight, I found beauty in just color alone, so I had to snap a shot.
Still pretty amateur but let me know what you guys think!

IMG0007-L.jpg

Comments

• SeniorMattSeniorMatt Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited November 8, 2011
    PS didnt mean to put this in the people category. Sorry about that!
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2011
    As a color freak myself, I'm attracted to your shot. In this case, I think I would eliminate the skins shown as they tend to clutter the scene. I would further divide the two halves into smaller sections and try for some artful arrangement of those segments. I'm not sure what's causing that dark band to the right, but I would also get rid of that. Play around with it a little bit....you'll come up with something pleasing.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2011
    okay so it is a snapshot of an orange. it took 10 sec to take and it shows. If you would have put another 90 sec into the shot then it might be something to look at. section up the orange, arrange them, place them on white plastic cutting board or even a piece of paper, get rid of the peels. It would have improve the shot a great deal. My point is take some time in composition..even a few seconds of thought can change the shot completely.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • DanspageDanspage Registered Users Posts: 196 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2011
    Qarik wrote: »
    okay so it is a snapshot of an orange. it took 10 sec to take and it shows. If you would have put another 90 sec into the shot then it might be something to look at. section up the orange, arrange them, place them on white plastic cutting board or even a piece of paper, get rid of the peels. It would have improve the shot a great deal. My point is take some time in composition..even a few seconds of thought can change the shot completely.

The same for me. Please google a bit.... foodphotography fround this http://mattikaarts.com/blog/technique/food-photography-2/

Wow, You know I think I found a cool page, simple but clean work. It is amasing what can be done with a little thought.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to discourage you if your sincere in your work. IF?
    Daniel
    http://danspage.smugmug.com/
    Scratch Nikon I switched to
    Canon 5d mark II
  • Quincy TQuincy T Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2011
    I'll echo what others have said here. Don't be caught up in the allure of an object's beauty to you too quickly. Take a step back, examine what you have (which is easy when you're working with motionless objects such as cut fruits) and think of what can be done to make the shot better.

What you have here is literally exactly what someone would see if they looked closely at the cut up orange sitting on their plate/in their kitchen. Try not make your photographs exactly what others see in the world.
  • eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2011
    If you're thinking about becoming a food photographer, then also Google "Nicole S. Young" and "Food Styling".

Nicole wrote a book about food photography, "Food Photography - From Snapshot to Great Shot."

I recently started doing food photography and the information she provides has helped a lot. It's also fun and you get some great meals. rolleyes1.gif
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
    "Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather
  • LeonieLeonie Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited November 13, 2011
    If you don't have access to a good light setup I find that using natural daylight streaming in from a window and mounting your camera on a tripod to deal with the slow shutter speeds often needed with natural light can give some pleasing results.
    ~ Keep it simple ~

Smugmug Gallery

Team Hannah
  • LeonieLeonie Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited November 13, 2011
    Danspage wrote: »
    The same for me. Please google a bit.... foodphotography fround this http://mattikaarts.com/blog/technique/food-photography-2/

Wow, You know I think I found a cool page, simple but clean work. It is amasing what can be done with a little thought.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to discourage you if your sincere in your work. IF?

There are some nice photos on that blog, thanks for sharing the link :)
    ~ Keep it simple ~

Smugmug Gallery

Team Hannah