Options

DSS 89 - Five O'Clock Twilight

sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,946 moderator
edited November 14, 2011 in The Dgrin Challenges
Have a few possibilities from today's rambles as night began to fall. Does this idea have potential for conveying early nightfall (with daylight savings time) and/or early evening?

Gretchen

1. Twilight
i-f48Z8kK-L.jpg

2a. The Lavender Skies of Twilight
i-wqXRP9w-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    edited November 9, 2011
    Two shots from the other day.

3a. Twilight Glow
    i-VQs7JBq-L.jpg

3b. Twilight Glow
    i-rvSzxd6-L.jpg
  • Options
    PedalGirlPedalGirl Registered Users Posts: 794 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2011
    These are beautiful... and it does show early evening... but in my mind when it still says "end of the day" or late... so it's a judgement call. I think it would rely on the title.
    Pho-tog-ra-pher (n) 1. One who practices photography 2. one obsessed with capturing life with their camera. 3. One who eats, sleeps and breathes photographs. 4. One who sees the world in 4x6.
    www.lisaspeakmanphotography.com
  • Options
    lkbartlkbart Registered Users Posts: 1,912 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2011
    I really like the first two, with the first edging out the second because of color intensity but I do prefer the comp of #2 better. I don't believe there is much if any difference between the colors of the sunset and the sunrise, at least not here in the states (somebody told me it's quite different down under). So if you just used the title of Twilight, it could be inferred that it was an sunrise. The early evening reference could work also, but may not be quite as strong on theme to some.
    ~Lillian~
    A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
    http://bartlettphotoart.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    Molotov EverythingMolotov Everything Registered Users Posts: 211 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2011
    I think I'm in total agreement with ikbart here. #1 has more intense colors but I like the additional leaning in #2, but I would pick 1.
    And whether you told me that was sunrise, sunset, early evening, whatever, I'd believe you and it fits the theme.
  • Options
    edited November 10, 2011
    After seeing the affirmation of #1 and #2, I reprocessed #2 in hopes of bringing out the colors in the sky. Will be checking these on several different monitors but welcome your input on how they look to you. I did use Photomatix Essentials to do some tone-mapping with some of these shots.

Thanks,
    Gretchen

2b. Twilight [edit of 2a]
    i-nGN7MjB-L.jpg

2c. Twilight [edit of 2a]
    i-CrnRFfP-L.jpg
  • Options
    JennJenn Registered Users Posts: 1,009 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2011
    sapphire73 wrote: »
    Thank you for the input on these! I had planned to go back and reprocess them later because neither really showed the richness of the colors I saw that night. There was a hill to my right, and someone coming down told me that there had been swaths of color radiating from where the sun was just under the horizon. It is hard for me to judge the saturation and colors on my uncalibrated monitor. They look paler on the macbookpro screen and saturated on the Dell monitor. I will check these on other monitors at work but welcome your input on whether one of these edits hits the mark better?

Hi Gretchen ... I LOVE these photos! gorgeous! :D

I've been gone a while from the groups and thought I'd come back and start taking pics again. I hope I can get get a photo half as good as these of your.
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
    Panasonic Lumix 10x DMC-TZ3 :photo
    Leica Mega O.I.S./28mm WIDE :smile6
  • Options
    edited November 10, 2011
    Jenn wrote: »
    Hi Gretchen ... I LOVE these photos! gorgeous! :D

I've been gone a while from the groups and thought I'd come back and start taking pics again. I hope I can get get a photo half as good as these of your.

Jenn, thanks for your input on these. Just the other day I was thinking of you and hoping we'd see you here again! :D
  • Options
    edited November 11, 2011
    One from yesterday that doesn't really fit the theme. Didn't have my tripod with me and the light was fading fast, but wanted to try to get this shot.

i-PnMjr7s-L.jpg
  • Options
    sweetharmonysweetharmony Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2011
    Oh, Gretchen! The light on the horse is gorgeous! Wonder if you titled it something along the lines of "Golden Hour" if many of us would get it? As a reference to the rule "Best light one hour after sunrise and one hour before sunset." Probably too vague. But I sure wish you could make this one work!
  • Options
    edited November 11, 2011
    Leah, thanks for comments on this shot. I had my nine year old grandson and his friend walking with me and they happened to be eating apples, so the horse came right over to the fence to greet us :D

I wanted to try a softer, more natural edit of 4 but still have no thoughts on how it could possibly fit the theme!

Gretchen

4b.
    Horse-on-the-Hill-lr3-natural-L.jpg
  • Options
    GretaPicsGretaPics Registered Users Posts: 373 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2011
    Hi Gretchen - love the lighting in all your photos above. 2c and 3b are lovely for the challenge; (just looked at gallery and looks like you've already entered one). I've only just tried photomatix once recently but when I brought my picture back into Aperture all the exif data had gotten lost so I didn't end up using it for one of the challenges as I don't know how to upload that data separately (if that's even possible). Always learning! GP
  • Options
    richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2011
    3a/3b are my faves. The POV (or crop) you used puts nice emphasis on the evening sky. thumb.gif
  • Options
    JennJenn Registered Users Posts: 1,009 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2011
    sapphire73 wrote: »
    Jenn, thanks for your input on these. Just the other day I was thinking of you and hoping we'd see you here again! :D

I've had you all on my mine off and on, too. It seems real life took over and I had no time to even think about taking photos for a while. My daughter had our grand-son, and about the same time I injured my back 3 times which made me a bit preoccupied to say the least .. lol

I've taken some photos for this challenge, but haven't had a chance to edit any of them yet. A few look like potentials.. maybe hahaahah ... I'm a sucker for sunrise or sunset photos. I love the colors.

I'm hoping some time today I have time to edit what I've taken so far.

I like your horse photo too, but I'm still partial to your sunrise/set photo. :)
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
    Panasonic Lumix 10x DMC-TZ3 :photo
    Leica Mega O.I.S./28mm WIDE :smile6
  • Options
    edited November 14, 2011
    Going with this entry and wonder if you have any further suggestions for the title?

I originally was thinking "Five O'Clock Twilight" as in twilight is coming so early now.

I could keep it short and sweet as "Twilight" or "Twilight as Night Begins to Fall". Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,
    Gretchen

P.S. I appreciate the affirmation of 3b but don't have time to tweak it to lessen the amount of noise I'm seeing in it. :D

i-CrnRFfP-L.jpg