Options

How slow / reliable is Dell

OzrockratOzrockrat Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
edited October 24, 2005 in Cameras
I am looking at taking advantage of the Canon rebate offer and Dell seem to have the best prices (not counting the unmentionables listed in the sticky above).

I did read somewhere that Dell are a broker and not a stock holding type of operation. How do they let you know delivery times etc?

Any experiences good / bad?

The reason I am wary of the times is that I will only be coming back through the US for a few days and then back to Africa, Europe and Central Asia for a few months. I don't need delivery until the middle of next month but I need the lenses to be there when I come through.

Thanks
Bevan

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2005
    very and not.
  • Options
    hesaiashesaias Registered Users Posts: 186 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2005
    If at all possible, do not deal with Dell. I have a couple of Dell products (Lap top and PDA) and I will NEVER EVER buy anything from Dell again. Sorry shipping, customer service, sorry tech support. All around a bac company to deal with based on my experiences.

I have compared all the prices and the Local photo shop (LPS forever more) is as good as any once you factor in shipping and headaches. Are there any good LPS where you will be?
    Scott

Canon Rebel XT
    Canon 580 EX Speedlight
    Canon EF 50mm f1.8
    Canon EF IS 28-135mm f/3.2-5.6
    Canon EFL 70-200 f/2.8
    SanDisk Ultra IIs
  • Options
    ChaseChase Registered Users Posts: 284 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2005
    Ill have my 85mm f1.8 for 292 shipped.....but i ordered it on the first and it still hanst shipped.......supposed to ship on the 24th. umph.gif

Luckily, Im a poor high school student, so I can wait a month to save 40-50 dollars (or over 100 bucks compared to sammys).ne_nau.gif
    www.chase.smugmug.com
    I just press the button and the camera goes CLICK. :dunno
    Canon: gripped 20d and 30d, 10-22 3.5-4.5, 17-55 IS, 50mm f1.8, 70-200L IS, 85mm f1.8, 420ex
    sigma: 10-20 4-5.6 (for sale), 24-70 2.8 (for sale), 120-300 2.8
  • Options
    tom etom e Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited October 23, 2005
    your questions are good ones. first, remember that dell is a computer maker. i don't know why they're in the photo biz at all.

you can find special for certain items at times with exceptional prices. however you must be prepared to wait. sometimes it ships immediately, sometimes it takes weeks. and ignore all info regarding availabity as it is all baloney. or is it bologne. that means you will have absolutely no idea when it will ship until the day they send tracking info.

if you need any real help, forget it. however they are excellent with returns.

so, if you don't need it NOW, and the price is exceptional, and you don't need to ask them any questions, then go for it. if you're only saving 20 bucks or so, go elsewhere.

i have purchased lots of camera and computer stuff from dell. i have no compaints. as long as you know how they work, i think they are a great source for can't-beat-it prices.
  • Options
    JamokeJamoke Registered Users Posts: 257 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2005
    Bad Experience
    I also bought a laptop, and PDA through Dell, and had some pathetic experiences with them. It took about 3 weeks till arrival, and the tech support guys are all based in Southern Asia, and none of them speak very clearly... Nothing against the Asians! I love the people, but they don't make for very efficient customer service reps. I'm not sure why their in the photo business either.

I've had a series of great experiences with Tallyn's recently. They were very efficient, and I recieved the item next day. So when your dell order isn't here, yet, and your flying out in two days, just give them a ring. thumb.gif
    Mine: Canon 20D, 50 f1.8 II, 28-105 II, 70-200 f2.8L, T 70-300 Macro, T 2X expander, 12-24 Sigma
    Hers: Sony SR10, (Soon Canon 5D MKII), 85 f1.8, 28-135 USM, Stroboframe, Manfrotto NeoTec
    Ours: Pair of 580 EX, Lensbaby, Studio Alien Bees, Son & TWO Daughters
  • Options
    OzrockratOzrockrat Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited October 24, 2005
    Dell ah bugger
    Thanks for the feedback.

Looks like it will be B & H. Saving $100 but maybe going to South Africa again with only a Tamron 70 - 300 does not seem like a good idea.

Regards
    Bevan
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2005
    Best bet Bevan...have a supajuice for me when you get there.