Options

2 stereotypical urban scenes

lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
edited November 15, 2011 in Street and Documentary
no people--don't boot me :) well there are people in #2 if you squint your eyes.

1.Manhattan
63268062857a13dce1f3b-L.jpg

2. Queens
6324637028d38ab2c5a8b-L.jpg
Liz A.
_________

Comments

• Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2011
    Just... wow.

Both great, both capture a very specific place, but #1 isn't "just a shot" - it's art.
  • Options
    RSLRSL Registered Users Posts: 839 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2011
    Liz, I'm not big on #2, but the Flatiron is very good. I especially like the diagonal slash of the lights. Just wish there were a way to do something with that blank sky, except where the sun is blowing everythihg away. I just downloaded the Flatiron and worked on it a bit. Couldn't do anything with the sky, but I was able to isolate the sun rays a bit. I think it's an interesting alternative, but, of course, because of the Street & PJ rules I can't post it.
  • Options
    edited November 10, 2011
    divamum wrote: »
    Just... wow.

Both great, both capture a very specific place, but #1 isn't "just a shot" - it's art.

Thank you Divamum:)
    I'm not into shooting architecture, I don't really have the eye for it, but I've shot the Flatiron buildiing a couple of times. My goal was to try and shoot it in a different manner than what I normally see. I've done the water reflection shot, witha puddle of water in the park showing the building etc. etc. But this I was most pleased--Except....it's not quite sharp enough, it was handheld, and it shows. But i'm not going to walk around w/ a tripod, no way.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    edited November 10, 2011
    RSL wrote: »
    Liz, I'm not big on #2, but the Flatiron is very good. I especially like the diagonal slash of the lights. Just wish there were a way to do something with that blank sky, except where the sun is blowing everythihg away. I just downloaded the Flatiron and worked on it a bit. Couldn't do anything with the sky, but I was able to isolate the sun rays a bit. I think it's an interesting alternative, but, of course, because of the Street & PJ rules I can't post it.

I liked the minimalist look. It was an extremely bright day taken just a couple of seconds after or before my "Just the two of them" shot. It actually hurt my right eye to shoot this as I kept accidentally looking at the bright sun. So I'm curious as to what you would like in the sky. There were no clouds, it was just a bright blue sky. AS I just told Divamum, this is the second time I've ever been happy with an architectual type of shot, but I'm all for the C&C.

I don't know what rules you are referring to, but you are free to rework my image and post it in this thread. I'd very much like to see what you did with it.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,929 moderator
    edited November 10, 2011
    The guidelines say you should ask permission first. I think most of the people who post here don't have any problem with it. deal.gif

I like both of them. The blank sky doesn't bother me. With the sun flare obscuring part of the building, it might even look strange to see cloud detail, dunno. I'd like to see Russ's version. #2 gave me an amusing head-slapping moment. For a moment, I was trying to figure out what kind of birds those satellite dishes were. FWIW, I don't think you absolutely need to see people to get a sense of human presence. Think laundry shots, for example. Or graffiti. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited November 10, 2011
    If Liz wants to see it, I'll post it. It's not all that different. I've just lowered the black point a bit and used some gradients to subdue the sun flare to the point where the individual splashed rays are more obvious.
  • Options
    rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2011
    I recommend that you make the first one duotone -- a strong sepia would work. #2 definitely calls for selective coloring (BTW, the reflections in the subway car have some strong exploratory possibilities for future shoots).

This will take our minds away from all other subjects while we discuss whether the right or left boot is appropriate...rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited November 10, 2011
    Richard wrote: »
    The guidelines say you should ask permission first. I think most of the people who post here don't have any problem with it. deal.gif

I like both of them. The blank sky doesn't bother me. With the sun flare obscuring part of the building, it might even look strange to see cloud detail, dunno. I'd like to see Russ's version. #2 gave me an amusing head-slapping moment. For a moment, I was trying to figure out what kind of birds those satellite dishes were. FWIW, I don't think you absolutely need to see people to get a sense of human presence. Think laundry shots, for example. Or graffiti. thumb.gif

A proper laundry shot is on my bucketlist.

I have a sad bucketlist.

EDIT: the birds comment :) sort of modern day pterodactyls.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    edited November 10, 2011
    If Liz wants to see it, I'll post it. It's not all that different. I've just lowered the black point a bit and used some gradients to subdue the sun flare to the point where the individual splashed rays are more obvious.

yes, post it please.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    edited November 10, 2011
    rainbow wrote: »
    I recommend that you make the first one duotone -- a strong sepia would work. #2 definitely calls for selective coloring (BTW, the reflections in the subway car have some strong exploratory possibilities for future shoots).

This will take our minds away from all other subjects while we discuss whether the right or left boot is appropriate...rolleyes1.gif

lol--I'm not touching the color and selective coloring on #2 you say? :)

Whatever you are eating, drinking, smoking--I would like to have some please.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    edited November 10, 2011
    As I said, not a big change, but I like the way the diffused sun rays show up.
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2011
    Just wish there were a way to do something with that blank sky,

I'm gonna demur and say that the blank sky is what MAKES this shot for me - all the attention is on the building and the period lamps without any distractions. It's not merely classic, it's iconic (especially when I consider how much is around the flatiron and what a jumble that corner is!). I do like your further edit David (the sun rays were a good catch), but I'm not sure it makes enough of a difference to the original. The only thing I could imagine as an alternative to Liz's processing might be some kind of vintage-y, Steichen-y toning, with perhaps an emulsion-style edge. BUT... I love it as-is iloveyou.gif

Oh, and Liz- I think the slight OOF also gives it that "early photography" feel - doesn't bother me at all in this shot. The look of the image is the same vintage as the building, if you like.
  • Options
    edited November 10, 2011
    divamum wrote: »
    I'm gonna demur and say that the blank sky is what MAKES this shot for me - all the attention is on the building and the period lamps without any distractions. It's not merely classic, it's iconic (especially when I consider how much is around the flatiron and what a jumble that corner is!). I do like your further edit David (the sun rays were a good catch), but I'm not sure it makes enough of a difference to the original. The only thing I could imagine as an alternative to Liz's processing might be some kind of vintage-y, Steichen-y toning, with perhaps an emulsion-style edge. BUT... I love it as-is iloveyou.gif

Oh, and Liz- I think the slight OOF also gives it that "early photography" feel - doesn't bother me at all in this shot. The look of the image is the same vintage as the building, if you like.

Thank you Diva:D
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    edited November 10, 2011
    ok, I've been looking at our edits for a bit now and I'm trying to decide if I like mine better simply because it's mine, or if it goes further than that.

I'm usually very drawn to high contrast, so immediately I liked the darker shades in yours better as well as the definition of the rays, but what I don't like is that the lamp sort of lost its sparkle.

I think a merging of our two shots would pretty perfect.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    edited November 10, 2011
    Liz, I'm not happy about the way the lights ended up either. I'd have tried Viveza with a couple U points, but in monochrome that wouldn't work any better than the adjustment layer masks with gradients I used. The job really needs to be done in the color version, where you can make distinctions based on the colors. In the end, your original version is fine. As far as the sky is concerned, I didn't say what I meant very well. I think it has to stay blank, but I think it would be better if it were a darker shade of blank, to emphasize the sunburst. In any case it's an interesting, creative shot.
  • Options
    JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,881 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2011
    I like the idea of RSL's version while keeping the glow of the lamp. Some grain maybe? some slight vigneting? I really like it. A departure form your style as our most recent master of street photography though...
  • Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2011
    There's a building here in Culver City shaped exactly like this one.
    Never have been able to get a decent capture, but your shot well makes me
    want to go try some more..........Hmmm
  • Options
    damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2011
    #1 is so pretty.
  • Options
    IslandcrowIslandcrow Registered Users Posts: 106 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2011
    Love 'em both. #1 is just a beautiful view, and very artistically done. #2 I just love the colors and tones. There's no one thing that jumps out at me, but as an overall composition, I think it works very well.
  • Options
    toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2011
    Shooting into the sun is tricky. You're blocking a part of it is the way to go; reduces dynamic ramge

But you can get some great shots in high key, with the background blown out (small groups of people)

Just a tip, meter on the darker subject to keep detail

Here metered on the tree
    http://ragspix.smugmug.com/Landscapes/1109-Walk-in-the-Woods-Muir/19598591_Q9bp9T#1535485268_LqzZx87-A-LB
    right into the sun, glare intentional
    http://ragspix.smugmug.com/Landscapes/1109-Walk-in-the-Woods-Muir/19598591_Q9bp9T#1535483976_85F9RwB-A-LB
    Rags
  • Options
    D3SshooterD3Sshooter Registered Users Posts: 1,187 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2011
    ASP, they must look great when enlarged....
    A photographer without a style, is like a pub without beer