Options

rainy Day in Sac-Town

captnemocaptnemo Registered Users Posts: 186 Major grins
edited November 10, 2011 in Journeys
Rainy day in Sac-town
http://captnemo.smugmug.com/Places/California/Sacramento-Rainy-Day-Nov52011/19972956_drnCzm#1573219608_hgNqRHH">

IMG1463-S.jpg
As winter approaches and the cold and rain begins, I find myself tired of huddling indoors and longing to travel. This weekend, I could feel the pull, but since the motorcycle is not an ideal vehicle in bad weather and the car is in need of repairs after the abuse I dealt on it this summer I was left wondering what to do. I settled on taking local transit to wander around downtown in search of something interesting. The bus and light rail ride to downtown were amusing enough as a huge variety of people rode together to reach downtown. I jumped off the train near the K st mall hoping perhaps to spot some ice skaters enjoying the rink. No luck, the Zamboni was spinning around trying to obtain a smooth finish on the thin layer of ice but the warm breeze and incoming rain didn't bode well for ice skaters. I wandered through the mall, stopped to get something to eat at the food court before heading back out. Facing the buildings that form the Sacramento skyline I could see the dark clouds forming that would lead to the evenings rain so I decided to start taking pictures, I worked my way through Old Sacramento admiring the trains outside the railroad museum before making my way out along the I st bridge. By now it was starting to rain and I juggled my camera and my umbrella as I shot a few pics of the river and the waterfront.

Sacramento waterfront
IMG1518-S.jpg

I debated heading for home but since I was already wet, I instead headed along the streets of Downtown looking for some more interesting pictures, a fire and rescue truck came barreling towards me, light and sirens blaring, then right as I pulled out my camera they shut them off. Oh well, I still got an interesting photo as they went by. As I turned away though I heard a screech of tires and looked up just in time to see a police cruiser come to a skidding halt with a bicycle on its bumper.
Sacramento evening
IMG1569-M.jpg
My first thought was they had some how run over a bicyclist! It soon became clear though that they had been transporting the bicycle on their front bumper and it had shifted prompting them to hit the brakes. I left them trying to negotiate space in the trunk as I made my way towards the Sacramento convention center.
Fire truck
IMG1593-S.jpg

I took a couple of pictures of St. Pauls, then walked back past the Capital building, towards the J st bridge and then decided it was time to hop the train and head for home.
IMG1682-S.jpg
http://captnemo.smugmug.com/Places/California/Sacramento-Rainy-Day-Nov52011/19972956_drnCzm#1573280127_qmWJgVQ

I was tired and a little soggy but at least I had gotten out for awhile.