Roads in the Maine Woods - C&C

redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
edited November 14, 2011 in Landscapes
Here are a few more shots from Maine in October. I am partial to images of roads, which are probably my favorite subject of all that I shoot. They always make me wonder who has traveled the roads and where they were headed. All of these were shot near Upper Shin Pond, which is just outside of Baxter State Park in the upper northern third of Maine.

With the exception of the leaf shot, I processed all of these in Photoshop using LAB color. #1 was processed in PS using RGB color. Thanks to Snowgirl for the helpful link to a good tutorial on using LAB color space.

As always, your C&C is welcomed and appreciated.

Thanks,
Lauren

i-SkNKfKr-L.jpg

i-bV4m5q6-L.jpg

i-MjVGgwp-L.jpg

i-hrpncHq-L.jpg

i-vvqD6TM-L.jpg
"But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
www.redleashphoto.com

Comments

• R.JayR.Jay Registered Users Posts: 974 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2011
    Hi Lauren, very nice series of shots - really like #2 & #4. You wonder who has traveled the roads, I always wonder what is round the next bend. :D Must visit Maine one day.

Cheers, Richard.
  • squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2011
    i love roads like that... love to take the Jeep and see where they go! we have lots of forest service roads in the mountains here, but we sure don't get that kind of color!
    ~ Rocky
    "Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
    Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
  • cj99sicj99si Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2011
    Well done lauren! #4 owns this series by far, awesome shot! So sorry I missed you while you were up, I haven't been on much and missed your PM. Ive only been to shin pond once in my life (15 years ago) and I have great memories of it.
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited November 10, 2011
    Yowza! :wow

Great set, Lauren. Processing looks great. Love the comps too. Really an excellent job all the way around. thumb.gifthumb.gif
  • LightMagicLightMagic Registered Users Posts: 261 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2011
    Beautiful set! Hard to pick a favorite, but I think I will go with #2
  • IslandcrowIslandcrow Registered Users Posts: 106 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2011
    Very nice series. You certainly have a good eye. The biggest critique I have is these would have turned out much better if you'd taken them in the earlier morning or later evening hours, as the lighting looks to be pretty harsh. Of course, we don't always get to pick the time we can escape to take some pictures. I'm missing the fall colors this year, so I'm really enjoying all of the pictures everyone is sharing.
  • SnowgirlSnowgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,155 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2011
    You're welcome!

BTW I love #4 - the road winding off into the brilliantly coloured forest.

Second favourite is #5 and then #1 the red leaf.
    Creating visual and verbal images that resonate with you.
    http://www.imagesbyceci.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ImagesByCeci
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,341 moderator
    edited November 11, 2011
    Beautiful shots Lauren, fabulous color. For a favorite I'm torn between 2 and 3.

--- Denise
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2011
    Richard - Thanks for your kind comment. I hope you get to Maine and I get to Australia one day. :D

Rocky - Thanks for looking. We didn't have a jeep but we did travel in a "Mule" tractor. It was fun.

Corey - Thanks. I was unable to make my Portland-area meets so it's just as well you hadn't seen my post. :D Will be back at Christmas!

Joel - Thank you so much for your encouraging comments. Means a lot coming from you--I always like your landscapes.

LightMagic - Thank you!

IslandCrow - Thanks for your comments. I agree about the light but yes, this was the time we were out on these particular roads. I was at the mercy of the hunters, having to either ride with or drive them to look for grouse. If you want to see some nice light, please take a look at my home page--amazing sunset! :D

Ceci - Thanks for looking. Glad you like 'em! Hope to have a couple more NB shots to post later.

Denise - Thanks for looking and commenting. I have some other views of the same spot in 2 and 3; may post a couple more so you have more to choose from. :D

Lauren

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2011
    Wonderful!!!clap.gif I know your penchant for roads and you did a great job of capturing the integration of them and some beautiful countryside. A big WELL DONE.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
    edited November 12, 2011
    Thanks, Tom! I'm grateful for your encouragement always.

Lauren

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • grimacegrimace Registered Users Posts: 1,537 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2011
  • LeonieLeonie Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited November 13, 2011
    Maine is beautiful at this time of year, would love to go back for another visit as our last trip there was way too short being just a few days. You've captured the colour well and I think #4 is my favorite of this series, would love to take my dog for a walk along that road, it doesn't look like it sees a lot of traffic.
    ~ Keep it simple ~

Smugmug Gallery

Team Hannah
    edited November 13, 2011
    Thanks, grimace.

Leonie - You are right about the traffic. The only vehicles I saw were four-wheelers belonging to one family and the trucks driven by my friends. It is a very quiet place, the silence broken occasionally by a shotgun blast. Thanks for looking!

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • deb22deb22 Registered Users Posts: 428 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2011
    Very nice, I can't decide from #2 or #4, Beautiful.
    COUNTRY ROADS ARE NATURES HIGHWAY. http://dafontainewildlife.com
  • wfellerwfeller Registered Users Posts: 2,625 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2011
    Very cool road shots!
    Anybody can do it.