Photography Calendar

HelvegrHelvegr Registered Users Posts: 246 Major grins
edited November 17, 2011 in The Big Picture
I'm working on a little personal project to create a bit of a photography calendar, to make note of events worth shooting throughout the year. The event can be pretty broad in scope, including something like "Yosemite Valley in the Winter". I've got this from Nov-Jan on my calendar.

I've also recently added "Elephant Seals at Ano Nuevo State Park", in the Month of December.

Anyway, if anybody else has suggestions they'd be appreciated. While I'd rather start with things on the west coast, it doesn't really matter. Could be anything from animal migrations, to seasonal events.

Thanks!
Camera: Nikon D4
Lenses: Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 VR II | Nikon 24-70 f/2.8 | Nikon 50mm f/1.4
Lighting: SB-910 | SU-800

Comments

• marionetmarionet Registered Users Posts: 382 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2011
    From your post, I'm not sure what you want- it seems a bit vague. Are you looking for places and times where the suggestion is from someone who has been there then and is sort of recommending it, or are you asking for help doing research? Are you looking for kind of headline places or paths less traveled? Is your calendar more for your own personal wish list or something you want to print and sell; if sell, do you plan to try to get editorial placement in relevant publications? How many pages are you thinking about? How many pictures?

I think it's a great idea. I'm not well read in photography locations, but I think there'd be a place for a book about it.

The Rose Bowl parade seems like it'd be notable. Death Valley after the Spring rain explodes with flowers and it's pretty awesome anyway. There are a lot of pictures done at Sante Fe's balloon festival whenever that is. Pictures at Burning Man usually are pretty cool but personally I think the festival itself is maybe a bit weird. Grand Canyon's always a headliner; I think it'd be cool to be there and take pictures at the summer solstice. New Orleans in Mardi Gras. The Tornado Belt in season and with some luck. Spring Break in Daytona Beach. Benezette PA in elk mating season in the fall. New England for fall color.
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,935 moderator
    edited November 15, 2011
    There's also Julia Pfiffer Burns State Park (and the water fall/window rock). If you're going that far, you might as well hit Ragged Point for the sea lions as well.

Weather along the coast can be variable this time of year so dress accordingly :D
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • HelvegrHelvegr Registered Users Posts: 246 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2011
    Thanks for the responses. I realize that I was probably somewhat unclear in my original post. I'm really looking to simply try to collect a bit of a shot list that I can put on a calendar with the where and when.

For instance if there was like a yearly air show somewhere on the west coast, I may put that down on the calendar. Help me to plan some more weekends where I'd be bringing my camera at the right time.

Thanks for the suggestions so far!
    Camera: Nikon D4
    Lenses: Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 VR II | Nikon 24-70 f/2.8 | Nikon 50mm f/1.4
    Lighting: SB-910 | SU-800