Options

Autumn in the uk

GOLDENORFEGOLDENORFE Super Moderators Posts: 4,747 moderator
edited November 13, 2011 in Landscapes
Hi everyone , macro season ending now so i have been out shooting the wonderull autumn colours, over 1000 frames so far this week!!!!!!!!

here are just a few shots, not even looked at the best ones yet !

since this is the first time i have used the 5d2 for landscapes much since i got it, i am finding the 17-40L is quite limiting in its use, its just too wide! especially for picking out good interesting compositions with interesting colour , especially on all the waterfall/stream shots .
in fact i have used my 100mm L Macro more this week than the wide angle!:rofl

phil

1# Roddelsworth woods near blackburn, uk [the north]
75 miles north from me

6328985377_2cdb209efa_b.jpg

#2 Westonbirt arbouretum whiltshire [the south]
184 miles south! but well worth the trip

6319698174_2d958afde4_b.jpg

#3 The Lake district, clappersgate.
120 miles ish ! north

6323915722_a71b2afffb_b.jpg

4# Tryfan, snowdonia ,
80 miles west

6328651636_4acb016ba9_b.jpg

#5 Llynnau Mymbyr , snowdonia
65 miles west

6337799792_058a719d85_b.jpg

Comments

• Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2011
    Nice work, Phil. Good scene selection....all interesting. Nice composition. All-around good series.thumb.gif

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    Chrissiebeez_NLChrissiebeez_NL Registered Users Posts: 1,295 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2011
    stunning! going to make sure to visit next year! :D
    Visit my website at christopherroos.smugmug.com
  • Options
    canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2011
    stunning! going to make sure to visit next year! :D

Very nice series Phil. The composition, colours and depth of field is first class. Looking forward to seeing the rest on here.
    Cheers
    Bob
  • Options
    redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2011
    Nice set, Phil. I really like the Snowdonia shots--it's such a beautiful area and you captured it nicely. The water in that first shot is superb!
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • Options
    IslandcrowIslandcrow Registered Users Posts: 106 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2011
    Wonderful shots! The first one makes me just want to fly off to the UK and find that exact spot. It looks like just the place where I could spend hours on end just relaxing in the woods, listening to the water flow by. #4 is just spectacular as well. The mist and low clouds give a soft transition from sky to land, along with the beautiful lighting gives it such an ethereal feel.
  • Options
    squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2011
    that first shot is just fabulous! love the colors, the composition, everything!

if the 17-40 is too limiting on the 5D2, try a 24-105... it'll make a much more versatile 'walkabout' lens, and will cover a very useful focal range. you lose a little on the wide end, but i find that 24mm is really wide enough for most landscapes on a FF body. and you gain a lot on the tele side, which is very useful at times for 'extracting' tighter crops and compositions from larger scenes...
    ~ Rocky
    "Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
    Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
  • Options
    SnowgirlSnowgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,155 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2011
    squirl033 wrote: »
    that first shot is just fabulous! love the colors, the composition, everything!

if the 17-40 is too limiting on the 5D2, try a 24-105... it'll make a much more versatile 'walkabout' lens, and will cover a very useful focal range. you lose a little on the wide end, but i find that 24mm is really wide enough for most landscapes on a FF body. and you gain a lot on the tele side, which is very useful at times for 'extracting' tighter crops and compositions from larger scenes...

That's my favourite "walking around" lens too.

Love this series of shots. clap.gif
    Creating visual and verbal images that resonate with you.
    http://www.imagesbyceci.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ImagesByCeci
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
  • Options
    LeonieLeonie Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited November 13, 2011
    "since this is the first time i have used the 5d2 for landscapes much since i got it, i am finding the 17-40L is quite limiting in its use, its just too wide! especially for picking out good interesting compositions with interesting colour , especially on all the waterfall/stream shots .
    in fact i have used my 100mm L Macro more this week than the wide angle!rolleyes1.gif"

That's interesting and I'm glad you mentioned it. I have a 5D and was considering either the 17-40 or 16-35 as the next lens purchase. I may reconsider that now. I currently use the 24-70mm for most landscapes, not that I do a lot of them. I find the 100mm macro is my most use lens for the type of photos I take.

Nice photos, our autumn colour is almost all gone now :)

ps. like your avatar, I have a golden too :)
    ~ Keep it simple ~

Smugmug Gallery

Team Hannah
  • Options
    canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2011
    Leonie wrote: »
    "since this is the first time i have used the 5d2 for landscapes much since i got it, i am finding the 17-40L is quite limiting in its use, its just too wide! especially for picking out good interesting compositions with interesting colour , especially on all the waterfall/stream shots .
    in fact i have used my 100mm L Macro more this week than the wide angle!rolleyes1.gif"

That's interesting and I'm glad you mentioned it. I have a 5D and was considering either the 17-40 or 16-35 as the next lens purchase. I may reconsider that now. I currently use the 24-70mm for most landscapes, not that I do a lot of them. I find the 100mm macro is my most use lens for the type of photos I take.

Nice photos, our autumn colour is almost all gone now :)

ps. like your avatar, I have a golden too :)

I am coming in again regarding the lenses. I feel the same as Phil when I use the 10-22 and the 17-55 2.8 so I mainly use my 24-105 and my 70-200 F4 lens for landscapes on my 7D. However, after seeing the achievements Phil has produced with the 100 macro, especially on the mountain shot, I am seriously thinking of parting with my 60 macro and getting the 100 macro. Is it common practice to use a 100 macro on landscapes I would like to know your comments on this.
    I am sure after seeing these shots everyone with a 100 macro will be using it for more than macro shots.
    Cheers
    Bob
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,247 moderator
    edited November 13, 2011
    Very nice set. My favorites are # 3 and 4.

--- Denise
  • Options
    GOLDENORFEGOLDENORFE Super Moderators Posts: 4,747 moderator
    edited November 13, 2011
    thanks for comments everyone, i have tried a friends 24-105, really wish i had gone for that lens at the time. but over the winter, full wide snowy landscapes[hopefully] will need the full wide angle .
    might have to get the other lens next year!