Options

Trying to use the lights!

Bend The LightBend The Light Registered Users Posts: 1,887 Major grins
edited November 13, 2011 in People
I took the two lights I have (on permanent loan :) ) along to the hall where my mate has the keys. he's a new photographer (well, man with camera, like me) and we thought we'd like to practice with the lights.

So, here are a couple of shots I am quite pleased with. One is the mate, and the other is my daughter. Thoughts on the processing would be nice, too.

I know we REALLY need a decent background...a sheet pinned on some notice boards won't cut it!

6337982583_6f4cbbf045_o.jpg
Andy Bizby by http://bendthelight.me.uk, on Flickr

6337985867_066c8292c9_o.jpg
Andy Bizby 2020 by http://bendthelight.me.uk, on Flickr

6338736990_57d512a90a_o.jpg
Ruby Pose centre bright by http://bendthelight.me.uk, on Flickr

6338737600_c0775de406_o.jpg
Ruby Pose duplex by http://bendthelight.me.uk, on Flickr

The subject is about 5 foot from the background in these...I have 2 lights, one softbox, one reflecting brolly, and a shoot though brolly. Could I have done something different to sort the background?

Comments

• Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2011
    Actually pretty good for a first attempt. Your exposures on ths man are a little hot. Lower your exposure in pp and they should be spot on. They seem to have a good ratio of light to shadow and droping the exposure will show that. He is lit in a femine manner. The main or brighter light should hit him in the chest, not come in from over his shoulder.

I relly like your treatment in 3 and 4. Exposure might be a little too high but that is personal preference.
  • Options
    edited November 13, 2011
    Hackbone wrote: »
    Actually pretty good for a first attempt. Your exposures on ths man are a little hot. Lower your exposure in pp and they should be spot on. They seem to have a good ratio of light to shadow and dropping the exposure will show that. He is lit in a feminine manner. The main or brighter light should hit him in the chest, not come in from over his shoulder.

I really like your treatment in 3 and 4. Exposure might be a little too high but that is personal preference.

Thanks. So, other than the slight hot spots especially on #2, I should save this configuration as one option when shooting women? :)

I have a few ideas for my next practice session, regarding the background, and a possible third light. I will bear your ideas in mind.

Cheers
  • Options
    LeonieLeonie Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited November 13, 2011
    I like the third photo best (the first one of your daughter), she has beautiful big eyes and you've captured them well :) Not too sure about the the background as I find it distracts but otherwise I like the photo :)
    ~ Keep it simple ~

Smugmug Gallery

Team Hannah
  • Options
    edited November 13, 2011
    Leonie wrote: »
    I like the third photo best (the first one of your daughter), she has beautiful big eyes and you've captured them well :) Not too sure about the the background as I find it distracts but otherwise I like the photo :)

Yes, the background is not ideal. Working on that next time. :)

Thanks
  • Options
    D3SshooterD3Sshooter Registered Users Posts: 1,187 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2011
    Not bad but very hard light, I assume that you used a small light source at a long distance ?
    I woud not mind to see it with a bit softer light.
    You can do this with a larger light source (maybe a sheet in front of de source) and closer to the model.
    Secondly you might want to try one source only and a reflection pannel on the other side.
    Just some ideas.
    The kid is also my prefered picture.

Greet DS3shooter
    A photographer without a style, is like a pub without beer
  • Options
    edited November 13, 2011
    D3Sshooter wrote: »
    Not bad but very hard light, I assume that you used a small light source at a long distance ?
    I woud not mind to see it with a bit softer light.
    You can do this with a larger light source (maybe a sheet in front of de source) and closer to the model.
    Secondly you might want to try one source only and a reflection pannel on the other side.
    Just some ideas.
    The kid is also my prefered picture.

Greet DS3shooter

This is 2 lights, one camera left is reflected in a brolly, and camera right is softbox. Both about 45 degrees to subject. left at full power, right at 1/2 power.

Cheers
  • Options
    D3SshooterD3Sshooter Registered Users Posts: 1,187 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2011
    This is 2 lights, one camera left is reflected in a brolly, and camera right is softbox. Both about 45 degrees to subject. left at full power, right at 1/2 power.

Cheers

Thanks for explanation, that seems like a good set-uo to create a rubens light. I assume those are continue lights and not flash units.
    A photographer without a style, is like a pub without beer
  • Options
    edited November 13, 2011
    D3Sshooter wrote: »
    Thanks for explanation, that seems like a good set-uo to create a rubens light. I assume those are continue lights and not flash units.

Nope. Flash with modelling lights.